Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 92 of 92
  1. #76  
    porksoda's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    199 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hup55 View Post
    I find coming off of a RIM device that I do miss the LED light indicator. Its just handy not having to grab the device and check it all the time. Having said that I am getting used to listening for notifications on my iphone.
    I agree with you as a previous bb user.... but one thing for me is i get hundreds of emails alerts a day so using ip4 and not having led is better for me atleast.. why you ask? because in a way i am not slave to my device where if the light is flashing i HAD to pick it up.. whereas with ip4 i hear the audio if its email i will grab it if its something else thats not pressing i will decide to grab the phone when i want to.

    After using ip4 (most ppl will disagree with me here) i do like the fact that lock screen has no info.. with bb it was always an urgency to get stuff off my lock screen and there was always this pressure.

    With ip4 i get my calendar reminders and i check them and follow through but there is no extra pressure of having all what i have to do in my face all the time.

    I hate to say it but i prefer the more "not in your face" way of ip4 in terms of notifications and lock info... i.e none.

    I will say i do not use ip4 in vanilla format... i have it jb and i use Notified (non pro version) to have a list of notifications and use status bar icons for mail/mms/im/cal etc.

    Personally i think without jb IP for me is very inadequate.
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #77  
    dsmith3427's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

    Default

    I guess I just don't understand how someone feels pressured by a phone. You can always mute it, ignore it, or turn it off for that matter. Devices now are more than phones. They are our ways to text and email as well. If a manufacturer can make a device a more effective communicator, why not? If you don't want to read your email, don't. If you don't want to listen to a voicemail, don't. I just want a more effective way for the device to convey that info. Currently, the IPhone fails pretty bad at that. Don't get me wrong, everything else about the device is very very good, it's just the notifications are horrible.
  3. #78  
    porksoda's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    199 Posts

    Default

    @dsmith3427: JB it and install a few apps that take care of notifications.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #79  
    dsmith3427's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

    Default

    Thanks. I do have it JB but unfortunately that won't add an light. Hopefully this fall.
  5. #80  
    Arelunde's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,634 Global Posts

    Default

    The BB isn't the only smartphone with a notification light. I bet the iPh is the only one WITHOUT a notification light. Before I got my own iPh, I used to wonder why certain people were very slow to respond (especially) to texts. Often, there was no response at all. Then I realized those people had iPhones. Easy to miss new texts or emails if they accumulate. I'm all for a notification LED that can be customized or turned off.
  6. #81  
    jonathon's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    Are you aware that using the LED camera flash as a notification light is one of the features of iOS 5?
    That personally isn't a great upgrade to me, because who wants a light flashing behind their phone for a notification? That'd be very battery wasting. I miss the little light on my DROID X when I had a text, facebook, etc.
    BrindawithanI likes this.
  7. #82  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    10,934 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts

    Default

    Once upon a time I had a Treo 650. It had a light. We used to use apps to make it blink at different rates in different colours for different things. Then I upgraded to the Treo 700 which had no light. At first I missed the light like crazy (compare to a BB user). Then I realized that I turned the thing on so often to look at one thing or another, there was no way I'd miss anything anyway, and I haven't looked back. None of the smartphones I've used in between the Treo and the iPhone have had led lights.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #83  
    dsmith3427's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonathon View Post
    That personally isn't a great upgrade to me, because who wants a light flashing behind their phone for a notification? That'd be very battery wasting. I miss the little light on my DROID X when I had a text, facebook, etc.
    I hear you about the back LED. Pretty much seems like a stop-gap measure by Apple because if that's what they are going to do as visual notifications in the future, it's a waste of battery power and no real benefit. I really believe we will see the light this fall on IP 5.
    Last edited by dsmith3427; 06-21-2011 at 05:30 PM.
  9. #84  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,216 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,563 Global Posts

    Default

    when i switched from a BB i thought i would miss it as well. it's just something you'll get over.. i couldn't give two $hits if Apple follows suit
  10. #85  
    anon4705295's Avatar
    iPhone Pro

    Posts
    504 Posts
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Once upon a time I had a Treo 650. It had a light. We used to use apps to make it blink at different rates in different colours for different things. Then I upgraded to the Treo 700 which had no light. At first I missed the light like crazy (compare to a BB user). Then I realized that I turned the thing on so often to look at one thing or another, there was no way I'd miss anything anyway, and I haven't looked back. None of the smartphones I've used in between the Treo and the iPhone have had led lights.
    Ditto! Missed the BB light initially, and then I realized I check my phone so much anyway that I really don't miss it. Just me, though. If we could turn it off I'm totally cool with having one!
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #86  
    dsmith3427's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    when i switched from a BB i thought i would miss it as well. it's just something you'll get over.. i couldn't give two $hits if Apple follows suit
    Yeah I hear you but unfortunately its something I just can't "get over". In my workplace phones need to be silenced which mean the only way I can see if I have email (other than checking the computer), text, or missed call/vmail is to keep checking the phone where as with my blackberry all I had to do is wait for the light to blink. Hopefully Apple will do something in the fall.
  12. #87  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Once upon a time I had a Treo 650. It had a light. We used to use apps to make it blink at different rates in different colours for different things. Then I upgraded to the Treo 700 which had no light. At first I missed the light like crazy (compare to a BB user). Then I realized that I turned the thing on so often to look at one thing or another, there was no way I'd miss anything anyway, and I haven't looked back. None of the smartphones I've used in between the Treo and the iPhone have had led lights.
    The Treo 700 could have been the worst phone i have ever owned...i literally despised using it.
  13. #88  
    Stickboy46's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

    Default

    I have yet to see a compelling reason in this entire thread to NOT have one. The only reasons i have seen is A: I dont want it, which isnt a reason thats an opinion and B: It would mess up the looks.

    For B: I ask any of you to take a look at an HTC EVO. It has a notification light and its behind the speaker grill. Since you know its there you will probably say that would bother you. Well a little known fact is that the EVO actually has TWO LED notification lights. One on the left side of the grill for notifications but also one on the right side. Hardly anyone ever knows that one is there because its not being used. It was put in there to notify of a Wimax connection but never made it into the final software. So to me that tells me that Apple COULD put in an LED that could be turned off and no one would know it was even there.

    IMO its the biggest feature missing now. Especially if they allowed custom colors for notifications (ie red for email, blue for text, green for missed calls etc)
    redbeard likes this.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #89  
    dsmith3427's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    I have yet to see a compelling reason in this entire thread to NOT have one. The only reasons i have seen is A: I dont want it, which isnt a reason thats an opinion and B: It would mess up the looks.

    For B: I ask any of you to take a look at an HTC EVO. It has a notification light and its behind the speaker grill. Since you know its there you will probably say that would bother you. Well a little known fact is that the EVO actually has TWO LED notification lights. One on the left side of the grill for notifications but also one on the right side. Hardly anyone ever knows that one is there because its not being used. It was put in there to notify of a Wimax connection but never made it into the final software. So to me that tells me that Apple COULD put in an LED that could be turned off and no one would know it was even there.

    IMO its the biggest feature missing now. Especially if they allowed custom colors for notifications (ie red for email, blue for text, green for missed calls etc)
    Well said. I keep checking in on this thread and you're right. All I keep reading is "it ruins the look", "it's not apple like", "It makes you a slave", "I don't want it", "you don't need it", etc. The best I read was that an LED is for disabled people and it's not meant for use by everyone. I just really hope they put one on there to increase the functionality of the device for me at least in a business like setting.
  15. #90  
    ivantwilliams's Avatar
    Distinguished

    Posts
    2,342 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,214 Global Posts

    Default

    When I first left the BlackBerry World, I missed the red notification light. A few years later, and now I don't even think about it.

    I think I prefer the iPhone WITHOUT a notification light...
  16. #91  
    kiwilist's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default

    @dsmith - I dont think LED camera is one of their feature of IOs 5.
    Stacey
  17. #92  
    chadec's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    195 Posts
    Global Posts
    368 Global Posts

    Default

    I have to agree on not being able to see the proximity sensor on the black iPhone 4. I've been staring at it looking where I know it is and still unless I'm on a call at night it is completely invisible. The proximity sensor is an infrared LED. So if one LED is invisible when it is inactive why wouldn't another? Putting it behind the speaker grille is another option that is also suited for the white iPhone. The home button would be harder to implement between the two colors but not impossible. A visual notification system is possible without being as immediately apparent as it is on a BlackBerry. I hated the placement of the LED light on my BB 8100, it was slightly better on the 8310, 8900 and 9700 but it still was a slight eyesore when it was off. It can be done. Should it be done? I wouldn't complain about it and say that Steve or Apple was selling out just because they added a feature that makes sense to have. Whether you personally want to use it or not, it does make sense to have and Apple realizes that otherwise why add the Accessibility feature?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions