Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Downgrading back to iOS 4.3.3

I just finished creating a guide on my website about downgrading from iOS 5 beta 1 to iOS 4.3.3. Because I know several people were skeptical about upgrading to iOS 5, without being able to downgrade if there are too many bugs.

Downgrade from iOS 5 to iOS 4.3.3 [Guide] | Cult of iPhone
    iPhone 4S ~ 32GB ~ Verizon
    Twitter
    Thanked by:
    BrindawithanI (06-09-2011)
    iMore Newbie

thanks ... now I might try iOS 5
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,629 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

i read elsewhere that you have to downgrade your iTunes from 10.5, i did not see that in your guide
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    i read elsewhere that you have to downgrade your iTunes from 10.5, i did not see that in your guide
    yep. 10.3 won't recongize the iPhone even in recovery mode. Well, in my case anyway.
    iPhone 4 16GB
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    it does say itunes (10.3) will recognize it so I figured that was enough to say. Didn't figure I needed to say downgrade to it, but I will edit it to say that.
    iPhone 4S ~ 32GB ~ Verizon
    Twitter
    iPhone Pro

iOS Version

The way I downgraded was to download the 4.2.8 (Verizon) ipsw from any old place, Option click (on Mac) the Restore button and select the 4.2.8 ipsw that I had downloaded, and it downgraded it easily. This seems like it takes fewer steps, too. Maybe you can include it in your tutorial? I at least think it's easier, haha. And you don't have to downgrade iTunes.
    C H I R M E R
    Graphic designer, classical musician, Paleo eater, evolutionary runner & all-around Apple fangirl.
    2008 Macbook (white, 4GB RAM) [sold] >> iPod Touch (1st Gen, 8 GB) [sold]>> iPhone 4 (black, 16 GB) >> 2012 Macbook Pro w/Retina Display (2.3 GHz 16GB RAM)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,020 Global Posts
    iOS Version

One other thing us that you say the guide will show how to jb at the same time, but it ends by just saying:

"Step 3: Once you get near the very end of the restore, you will likely receive an iTunes error (1) recovery loop dialogue error. This can be disheartening to receive this over and over. Don’t fret though, we have a fix, and it’s called RedSn0w."

You might want to explain to people what that means in case they get stuck. (Or at least provide a link to redsn0w and explain they'll need that to jb.)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,629 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

just successfully downgraded without downgrading iTunes from 10.5 (shift, click-restore to 4.3.3)