Enough with the widgets!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
so you did not get them, again. great. you know what to do, jailbreak. i highly doubt that is at the top of Apple's list or ever will be.. is it really that important?? if so, go to android. if it wasn't this it'd be something else, FFS

so far i have been very pleased with iOS 5 and this is only a beta

dear lord, am i becoming a fanboy??

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I didn't like the battery drain I experienced on android with widgets, I was kind of excited to see how apple would implement something like that, although the way weather and stocks appear in the notification drawer may hint to future 3rd party offerings.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I didn't like the battery drain I experienced on android with widgets, I was kind of excited to see how apple would implement something like that, although the way weather and stocks appear in the notification drawer may hint to future 3rd party offerings.

Android battery life has gotten much better though, especially with Gingerbread. I recently had a Nexus S on AT&T and it still got me around 18-24 hours on 1 charge compared to 24+ on my i4.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If anyone is becoming a fanboy it's me. I really want to make the switch but with no mention of new hardware I'm sort of stuck. I could break my two year but I just became a sprint premier customer. I fell like I have been sucked in to the world of android

Anyway. Widgets are not bad. I mean if anyone could do them right it will be apple.

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
well like said earlier in this thread, with the weather and stocks in the notifications tray thingy I think there will be some third party type widgets coming really soon.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Android battery life has gotten much better though, especially with Gingerbread. I recently had a Nexus S on AT&T and it still got me around 18-24 hours on 1 charge compared to 24+ on my i4.

Did you have a Nexus S that supported at&t's 3G bands? Or the T-Mobile variant?

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I love widgets, shouldn't have to JB for them either, and JB widgets will never be nearly as good as ones designed from the ground up by Apple for the OS because companies like ESPN and Pandora aren't going to make them for their apps unless the OS is capable out of the box.

I have the feeling if Apple had put widgets into iOS 5 everyone here saying they don't want them or hate them would be singing a different tune. The grid of dead icons has become old and boring, widgets are a great way to access info quick, or do things like skip through songs without having to find an app and go into it. This is another area Apple has fallen way behind, we shouldn't have to wait another year or two for this simple addition all other smartphones have. And guess what? If you don't like widgets, you don't have to use them! Just like you do not have to use the new notification system, you can turn it off and keep getting those intrusive pop-ups in your face all day if you wish.

It's all about options, and some of you seem to believe only what you want matters, pretty childish..

anon(4692575)

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Widgets were invented by the devil to slowly drive us to suicide, or at least me. When I had an HTC Desire HD for a couple of weeks, they used to drive me insane. Swiping between homescreens all the time to find the right widget... And all the screen real estate they took up!

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Widgets were invented by the devil to slowly drive us to suicide, or at least me. When I had an HTC Desire HD for a couple of weeks, they used to drive me insane. Swiping between homescreens all the time to find the right widget... And all the screen real estate they took up!

I see your point on the small 3.5" display but even then with folders you wont need to litter your home screens with icons and like redbeard said. You don't have to use them.

Besides if Apple did come out with them I bet you would be saying its the best thing since sliced bread.,

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I doubt anyone here can claim to know what someone would feel if Apple had widgets, seriously.

I personally only wanted a weather one, and I pretty much got one so I'm happy LOL

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I love widgets, shouldn't have to JB for them either, and JB widgets will never be nearly as good as ones designed from the ground up by Apple for the OS because companies like ESPN and Pandora aren't going to make them for their apps unless the OS is capable out of the box.

I have the feeling if Apple had put widgets into iOS 5 everyone here saying they don't want them or hate them would be singing a different tune. The grid of dead icons has become old and boring, widgets are a great way to access info quick, or do things like skip through songs without having to find an app and go into it. This is another area Apple has fallen way behind, we shouldn't have to wait another year or two for this simple addition all other smartphones have. And guess what? If you don't like widgets, you don't have to use them! Just like you do not have to use the new notification system, you can turn it off and keep getting those intrusive pop-ups in your face all day if you wish.

It's all about options, and some of you seem to believe only what you want matters, pretty childish..

Nowhere is there a requirement that every mobile OS have widgets lol. Where are you getting the feeling you are owed them? This whole post is about what YOU apparently want in a phone lol... A tad ironic haha

But anyway, no need to be upset, I'm sure BLiNK was talking about the people raging that despite all we're getting with iOS 5, because it doesn't have widgets it's still crap and way behind... And there are lots of people ignorantly saying this. It's enough to drive anyone nuts lol

Last edited:

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Nowhere is there a requirement that every mobile OS have widgets lol. Where are you getting the feeling you are owed them? This whole post is about what YOU apparently want in a phone lol... A tad ironic haha

But anyway, no need to be upset, I'm sure BLiNK was talking about the people raging that despite all we're getting with iOS 5, because it doesn't have widgets it's still crap and way behind... And there are lots of people ignorantly saying this. It's enough to drive anyone nuts lol

I never said or implied I was owed them, I like them and was hoping that we'd get them this year like all the credible rumors suggested. And isn't everything involving these kind of things about what "we" all want? People used to complain about multitasking and Apple gave it to us, people complained about notifications and now we finally got them. I'm sure it will eventually happen with widgets, we got teased by all the rumors so it's kind of a letdown, and I think people have a right to speak about it.

The huge, massive difference between what I'm saying here, and certain others, is that I'm asking for more features, a choice, how is that bad? While others are proclaiming that because they personally don't like a certain feature, everyone who wants it should "shut up", or "go buy an Android". This is a discussion board, and I don't think we have to agree with everything Apple does, if we did, iOS 5 would have the same features as iOS 1 with some bug fixes.

I also know that when or if Apple gives us widgets in iOS they'll do em better than anyone else, and everyone will love them. And like everything else Apple does, they'll be optional, so those that don't like widgets, don't have to use em.

Choice is good.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
If you're sick of iOS being boring, honestly just go to Android. This year's update was actually amazing, if this didn't impress you nothing will. So just go away.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@redbeard
My point is that this year's update was amazing and if you still only have negative things to say, you're probably not going to be impressed by anything apple does. Even if Apple did introduce widgets, the next big thing would be people kvetching about removable storage or about live wallpapers.

If you are sick of iOS and you think it's boring, it would be faster and more beneficial for you in the long run to switch to android. By switching to android you get all these features you apparently can't live without, and you also will get even more new, poorly implemented features with every update. If that's your thing then just go ahead and switch because you're going to be waiting another 5 years for apple to fulfill all of your needs so you can finally stop being frustrated with your phone.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I never said or implied I was owed them, I like them and was hoping that we'd get them this year like all the credible rumors suggested. And isn't everything involving these kind of things about what "we" all want? People used to complain about multitasking and Apple gave it to us, people complained about notifications and now we finally got them. I'm sure it will eventually happen with widgets, we got teased by all the rumors so it's kind of a letdown, and I think people have a right to speak about it.

The huge, massive difference between what I'm saying here, and certain others, is that I'm asking for more features, a choice, how is that bad? While others are proclaiming that because they personally don't like a certain feature, everyone who wants it should "shut up", or "go buy an Android". This is a discussion board, and I don't think we have to agree with everything Apple does, if we did, iOS 5 would have the same features as iOS 1 with some bug fixes.

I also know that when or if Apple gives us widgets in iOS they'll do em better than anyone else, and everyone will love them. And like everything else Apple does, they'll be optional, so those that don't like widgets, don't have to use em.

Choice is good.

Sorry, I assumed when you said "I shouldn't have to jailbreak for them" meant you thought they should be included, as if in accordance to some standard lol. I can understand what you're saying, but you have to think about Apple's mentality. The iPhone, out of the box, isn't meant to have a bajillion options. I don't remember who said it, but someone called the iPhone a "glorified app opener", and that's a pretty good description LOL. It's not meant for the person who likes to tweak the crap out of their phone... though it has that capability (via jailbreaking). It's meant to be a simple, functioning device that lets you do what you need to do in a fast, efficient manner, and for a lot of people (me included) a cluttered screen gets confusing, fast. The 4x5 icon layout is meant for efficiency... I get stuff done sooo much faster than my Android or BB friends because it's easier to get to what I need. Apple has to make a tradeoff to get to this point, and I think that's why you feel bored.

I wouldn't put it past Apple to put in Widgets later (I personally think it'd be sweet to see them function like Dashboard on Macs - then those who hate them can forget they exist LOL), but I think putting them into this iOS might make it even more overwhelming to the average person, and might put them off.

Just my 2?!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro