YES to Custom SMS Tones!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
holy $hit Massie! this is great news!

i am still contemplating jailbreaking when there is one available so i can get FullScreen for Safari, ScreenDimmer and iFile. i only use iFile to replace tones and now it looks like i may not need it anymore.. well except to get rid of that annoying message sent tone when texting

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My only question is who is Rosa Golijan and how does she know for sure?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it... but still skeptical... I will believe it when I see it (or see it confirmed from a known "source")...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OK I know I'm a total N00b on this but beyond this tweet which other info is there to support this? I think it would have been in WWDC and I never saw any mention of it. Regardless I wont be moving to iOS 5 on my iPhone until there is a JB. I loved all the stuff but I'll have it on my iPad 2 and my GF's iPhone plus Lion on my MBP so I'll have plenty of experience with it. What was the breakaway feature for you? I loved the iMessage app which I've been asking for since I had my iPad.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, if the notifications are good, and the sms tones are there, then it's goodbye to Lockinfo & ToneFx. Can i get my money back? HaHaHa.:D

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Hank, Rosa is an ex-Gizmodo writer who now works for MSNBC. She regularly goes through new iOS builds to catalogue new features.

Of course Apple will occasionally pull features before the public release, but for now I'd say it's legit.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Until several sources or devs report this, it's still up in the air. Much like ringtones, support also has to be built into iTunes.

From what I have seen, you're only able to choose between the custom sounds already available in iOS 4, the new text tones. Nothing yet on when you can make your own. If true though, that's cool.

Last edited:

nm4m

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Is it just that you can change the email alert now, or can you have different alerts for different email accounts? Any news on email account specific signatures?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I figured I was a n00b about this and didn't know who that was. I also think until the final OS ships with it I wont hold my breath. There are things that can be cut out at the last minute. Then who knows how it will be implemented look at the option in iTunes to make ringtones out of your songs. I've tried on ripped songs, iTunes bought songs and nothing works. In any case none of this will sway me from JB, once there is an iOS 5 JB I'll just have less tweaks to install. I wont need BiteSMS anymore which is a biggie. I can change all the SMS tones with my own theme and then the notification center will give me the BiteSMS like system.

phinx404

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
btw im still rocking that theme of yours! hope you do it again once ios5 is officially out! would hate to lose it if i upgrade. really on the fence about it. if battery life, call quality and no major issues with it i may just bite the bullet and upgrade.

I figured I was a n00b about this and didn't know who that was. I also think until the final OS ships with it I wont hold my breath. There are things that can be cut out at the last minute. Then who knows how it will be implemented look at the option in iTunes to make ringtones out of your songs. I've tried on ripped songs, iTunes bought songs and nothing works. In any case none of this will sway me from JB, once there is an iOS 5 JB I'll just have less tweaks to install. I wont need BiteSMS anymore which is a biggie. I can change all the SMS tones with my own theme and then the notification center will give me the BiteSMS like system.

budwizer

Mar 27, 2009
Visit site
Question is how do you add your own custom SMS tones? I see the additional ones that are added with iOS 5 however have been thus far unable to figure out how to use my own.

Does anyone know what the process is to use your own? I was j/b on iOS 4 and did the replace the .caf file method. I don't see any place for custom ones to be synced in iTunes 10.5 either.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I believe her twitter said it would be handled the same way custom ringtones are in iOS4. Not sure of any differences in the details.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
btw im still rocking that theme of yours! hope you do it again once ios5 is officially out! would hate to lose it if i upgrade. really on the fence about it. if battery life, call quality and no major issues with it i may just bite the bullet and upgrade.

Oh yeah for sure if I have to upgrade anything I definately will just throw me a line if you upgrade.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I caved and upgraded, and what I see is:

You can't upload your own tones, as far as I can tell. You can, however, purchase some from the Tone Store. LOL. Also they tweaked some of the default tones to be a bit shorter, making more of them usable, which is nice.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
It looks like eventually you'll be able to use tones in your library - the button is there, but right now it doesn't do anything.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2