Thinking of making the switch

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Been a while since I've been here and many of you know that I'm an android user. Well The latest talk of iCloud and the fact I'm getting fed up with my phone since I had to reformatt and lost everything (well I did save most of what was on my SD card, but everything that was on the phone, including my settings is gone) I'm thinking of making the switch. I like how you can do back ups and its all seamsley. Of course I'll be watching next week to see if Apple even annouces an iPhone 5. Personnaly I hope it keeps the same design. I could deal with the small screen, though a larger screen would be nice too.

So hopefully I will be jumping the fence to the simple life.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
as of today, i'd wait till atleast monday to see what apple says about new hardware. we're all excited about the iCloud service, and the future of the iOS platform. i'm personally going to be all ears on monday..

Reactions: ChrisGonzales90

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, for all that's not great about iTunes you get good backup. I made that better with Android via good apps should you stay. A business app that syncs between phone and tablet drove my sticking with iPhone.

If you watch craigslist and meet at phone store for setup you can typically get a decent and legit deal which could be a way to stay out of contract and posture yourself to get an iPhone now but be ready for new hardware when it comes.

If your Android use included navigation, widgets and customization you might be someplace between disappointed or frustrated but the iPhone is good in other ways.

Look for a NY Times set of articles done in last month or so if you get the iPhone because there's a quick set of tips that not everybody finds right away and another article on good setup if you have kids who use your device.

Good luck.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I switched to Android for a couple of months. Love the platform, however I am back to ios. Why? Stability and battery life. I couldn't find it on the Motorola Atrix, HTC Inspire or Samsung Infuse, all three were great android devices but in order to use the features I wanted ie; widgets, custom keyboards, dolphin browser etc, it took a serious hit on the battery life of the device. I am looking very forward to Monday's announcement from apple. I would love to see a iPhone with a larger screen, however I am happy with the iPhone 4 just the way it is.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Of course I'll be watching next week to see if Apple even annouces an iPhone 5. Personnaly I hope it keeps the same design. I could deal with the small screen, though a larger screen would be nice too.

So hopefully I will be jumping the fence to the simple life.

Well even if the form factor is busted on the next iPhone, if you really want the iPhone 4, it will probably be discounted.

I made the switch from iPhone to Android back to iPhone.
Here's my view on the switch

Android
Pros
-OS is superior in terms of features
-better google apps (free navigation, I'm looking at you)

Cons
-app store is lacking
-OS not as stable
-rapid OS upgrades are frustrating- either a) you never get it because you don't have the right phone b) you get it and it bogs down your phone. Therefore the solution to either problem is to root or get the latest phone, which will be outdated in 6 months.
-hardware is solid, but battery life doesn't seem to be a major concern for the Android camp

Apple
Pros
-great app store
-iOS is stable
-if an update comes out, you'll get it
-better battery life
-due to one upgrade a year, you lock in your phone as the top dog for a year and if you're patient you can upgrade every other year and actually cash in the 2yr contracts

Cons
-OS lacks features (this all could change in a few days)
-no free navigation
-you are locked into iTunes
-google apps not as good
-you do get gadget envy since Apple upgrades hardware once per year and see the android camp go through a 4" screen, 1Ghz dual core phone, then a 4.3" OLED, 2Ghz dual core, LTE phone released, then a 5" 3D OLED 2Ghz quad core, LTE, NPC, then a 5.5" 3D OLED, 4Ghz quad core, LTE, RED 50MP camera recording in 3D, NPC, with a built in projector that displays in 1080p.

By the time the next iPhone comes out they are on Strawberry Tart with Google Mind- where you can control the phone with your mind, which is only available on like the Nexus alpha, the HTC Erotiq, and the upcoming, soon-to-be released Motorola Droid Bot that sports a industry leading 6" 3D Hyper-OLED screen with Olfactory feedback and satellite TV, that also takes the wifi hotspot one step further- your phone can act as a cellular tower now, ensuring full signal strength at all times anywhere and also ensures other AT&T users around you get a better signal*.

*additional monthly fee is $2.99 for 90 seconds of talk, 15 characters in a text, and 128kb of data while using CellTower. Or $199.99 for 10,000 minutes, 10,000 texts, and 5GB of data while using CellTower** Only on AT&T.

**fees will vary according to the users that connect to your CellTower. You do not have the ability to manage your CellTower*** Only on AT&T

***users can buy AT&T's CellTower Manager in the App store for $14.99 to manage your cell tower and to throttle data speeds to other users. $5.99 monthly fee to manage your CellTower to change any two settings twice in a month. Additional changes cost $20 per setting change. Or pay $29.99 for unlimited management per month! Only on AT&T

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
^^ LOLOLOLOL

It's good you're considering the switch :) Being open-minded is the best way to find what you're looking for and to be happiest with your phone. And, if you end up not liking it, you can always go back :) I hope iCloud and whatever else Apple has to offer are great, and I'm sure they will be.

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I just got the iPhone yesterday with AT&T as a new customer coming from T-Mobile with a Blackberry Bold 9700. So far, I've been extremely pleased with the iPhone. Its very smooth and seems very polished and stable as others have already mentioned. I used Android for about a month and iOS is far superior. Yes, Android does have more features but if I had to pick I'd rather go with the OS that's more smooth. Browsing on Safari is night and day compared to browsing on Android yet alone OS 6 on Blackberry. My BIGGEST regret is not getting the iPhone last year. Ya live and learn.

If a new one comes out end of the month like usual, then I will probably take mine back and pay the restocking fee. I believe its only 10% which isn't that bad. I've also seen people complain left and right about AT&T's service and customer service. I have better service with AT&T. Oh well, good luck!!! :)

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I switched to Android for a couple of months. Love the platform, however I am back to ios. Why? Stability and battery life. I couldn't find it on the Motorola Atrix, HTC Inspire or Samsung Infuse, all three were great android devices but in order to use the features I wanted ie; widgets, custom keyboards, dolphin browser etc, it took a serious hit on the battery life of the device. I am looking very forward to Monday's announcement from apple. I would love to see a iPhone with a larger screen, however I am happy with the iPhone 4 just the way it is.

I like the design of the iPhone 4 as well. I also faced the same situation as you did with battery life. I had to buy a $70 extended battery and it just added bulk.

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
WOW...I keep hearing about all the Android problems. 2 guys I work with had Android phones and it didn't take long for them to switch back. I was a former BlackBerry user/abuser for years until my wife and 11 year old daughter convinced me to get an iPhone. I couldn't be happier. I couldn't even imagine switching to another phone. I do look forward to the iP5 coming out.

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
If SPRINT gets the next iPhone and I can get it for a decent price at my one year upgrade time, I'll definitely have to consider it. I was looking forward to an iPhone 5 announcement at WWDC, but it didn't happen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice