Stuart Goldberg

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Just got an iPhone from Verizon. With my Blackberry I could use Backup Assistant and it would backup to Verizon. This isn't available for the iPhone. My data is on my laptop so I'm more concerned about loss or theft of my computer. When I sync to iTunes does the data stay on my computer or does it go somewhere off site like Verizon's backup? If it's off site I guess I'm safe. Currently I'm exporting my iCal and Address Book, copying to a flash drive. Not looking for a pay service like MobileMe. Input?
thanks

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Get yourself a gmail account and sync your contacts and calendar (only) to Google. Instant updates, safe and secure.

Currently, syncing to iTunes syncs only to your local computer. But that could all change after WWDC.

Stuart Goldberg

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I presume I have to manually back this up, every so often? Haven't figured t out iCal yet, I'll have to play with it. Ical gives 2 export options: iCal archive and export. I've had no success importing, but I haven't taken much time with it.
Thanks again

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Alli. Originally, I used Outlook, but when I went into the Android camp, a Gmail account was mandatory (even if you only used it to "fetch" and delivery your other email accounts - which is does quiet effectively). Eventually, I realized Outlook was just a extra step and stopped using it. I love Gmail -- it SOOOO simplifies life. All contacts, calendar events and email is instantly synced to your smartphone, whether changes are made on the iPh or on your computer.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
... Verizon DOES have the Backup Assistant for iPhone. It's what I used to transfer my contacts over the first time from my BB. But, I do recommend you use Google. Backup assistant requires you to resync every 30 days or you lose your contacts, and overall it's just good to have the contacts with your email.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, I presume I have to manually back this up, every so often? Haven't figured t out iCal yet, I'll have to play with it. Ical gives 2 export options: iCal archive and export. I've had no success importing, but I haven't taken much time with it.
Thanks again

If you're using Google, there's no manual backup, no export, no import. You just sync your iCal account to your Google account.

Stuart Goldberg

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Still working on getting Google Calendar to show my data after import. Eventually I'll find out I've done something stupid...
Are you saying Calendar and Contacts in Google will update when when a change is made in my iPhone/iTunes?

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Stuart,

What Alli is saying is that you can set up contacts and calendar, on your mac, to sync directly with Google. You just add your calendar and contacts, through the app, as an account.

Taking it a step further, on your phone itself, you set up your google account as an exchange account. That way, data from contacts and calendars automatically pushes to your phone. You don't have to connect it to anything to sync contacts, it just does it automatically.

Instruction are here: Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device : Google Sync - Google Mobile Help

Stuart Goldberg

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Does this mean I use Google as my syncing spot, or can I sync to both Google and iTunes, although there is probably no reason? If I change to Google how do I stop iTunes and iPhone from syncing to each other?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Still working on getting Google Calendar to show my data after import. Eventually I'll find out I've done something stupid...
Are you saying Calendar and Contacts in Google will update when when a change is made in my iPhone/iTunes?

As long as you set up your account on your iPhone as an exchange account (there are great instructions on the Google site) then any change you make will be reflected everywhere you access your account - instantaneously.

Do not use iTunes to sync your account - you'll wind up with dupes. If you currently have your iPhone set to sync your contacts/calendar with iTunes, just uncheck it on the General tab in iTunes.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
:) hi everyone, ok i have a question and plz be patient with me. I'm not new to apple products but new to sycing contacts from the iPhone. My hubby and kid got new iPhones just this week. Hubby from and env3 and daughter from a bb. I used VzW back up asst. and then installed the VzW contact app to the iPhone to get their contacts onto their new iPhones. Neither one of them have a Gmail acct or want one.

SO my question is quite simple. When you 'sync' the iPhone to back up your music/apps etc. does the address book(contacts) also get stored in the iTunes in case they ever needed to "restore" their address book? TIA for the help:) (i'm using a windows7 laptop)

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Pink. Yes, as long as you have checked to sync contacts in iTunes, they will be sync'd. I still highly recommend syncing them to Google instead.

:)tyvm for your help Alli! I'm not new to owning Apple products, but as far as the iPhone with the contacts and such, i just wanted to be sure!

Now, one other concern i thought of--both my husband and kid have the iPhone now. Both use the same laptop to sync. Yes when they connect its says 'hubbys iphone" or "kids iphone" SO with each iPhone named separatly, when they sync for a back up, none of their contacts numbers will get "mixed" together will they?

Thx again! :)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
About that I'm not sure. It would seem likely that they would merge unless you also use separate user accounts on your laptop. Another reason to sync to Google, IMNSVHO.

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
About that I'm not sure. It would seem likely that they would merge unless you also use separate user accounts on your laptop. Another reason to sync to Google, IMNSVHO.

:)ok, again tyvm, perhaps i will look into that g-sync for both of them, AND maybe add another user acct on my iTunes as well!

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Get yourself a gmail account and sync your contacts and calendar (only) to Google. Instant updates, safe and secure.

Currently, syncing to iTunes syncs only to your local computer. But that could all change after WWDC.

+1 on the gmail account. Got it when I bought the OG Droid way back. I've had no problems with any of my Apple products syncing/setting up. Works flawlessly and no cables!