Going from Sprint (Evo) to Verizon... iPhone?

iamjose

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I've had the Evo for about a year and love it but I really hate Sprint. I'm making the move to Verizon but need some help figuring out how well Google works with the iPhone.

Coming over from the Evo... everything I have is Google.

Gmail
Google contacts
Google calendar
Google voice
Google maps with navigation beta
Google tasks
Google docs
------------------
Google talk
Google music beta
Google books
Google reader
Google shopper

They are listed in order of importance. First group being very important! Second group not so much.

Am I still going to be able to use these apps or is there some viable alternatives out there that perhaps syncs with my Google account? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone is behind only as far as navigation on Google. But there are lots of better alternatives, like TomTom.

iamjose

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah... I love how intergrated Google is with the Android os and I'm just worried that is going to fall apart once I make the switch to the iPhone.

People have told me its not that seemless of a transition and you get a lot of duplicate entries in contatcs and calendar appointments. That I would have to use a lot of the web apps for certain things...

Did anyone else who sold their soul to Google make the switch from Android to iPhone encounter a lot of problems?

Sent from my Evo Sith Lord using Tapatalk...

iamjose

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Coming over from the Evo... I'm just worried that everything is going to fall apart once I make the switch.

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I use everything Google. I have never had a duplicate entry in my contacts. I think those people with dupes get them because they are also trying to sync to their Mac and having iCal sync back to their Google account. D'oh!

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have used Android for years, since it first came out. I just made the switch to an iPhone 4 (I still have my HTC Inspire).

I use Google for everything. The only shortfall on the iPhone is the lack of integrated nav, but I picked up Navigon on a deal. Honestly, I barely notice that I don't have an Android phone. My battery life is far superior on the iPhone, and the overall use experience is 10x better IMHO.

I use Google Voice for my phone number, that is the only glaring shortfall. The iPhone app isn't half bad, but it's not as good as the native Google integration.

Go far it. You won't regret it.

icehead13

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah... I love how intergrated Google is with the Android os and I'm just worried that is going to fall apart once I make the switch to the iPhone.

People have told me its not that seemless of a transition and you get a lot of duplicate entries in contatcs and calendar appointments. That I would have to use a lot of the web apps for certain things...

Did anyone else who sold their soul to Google make the switch from Android to iPhone encounter a lot of problems?

i switched from Evo 4G to ATT iPhone in Dec of last year. I missed some things,but to not have to carry a charger around or charge up at work after 4 hrs is priceless. if you work at a desk, then the Evo is a great phone cause you can keep it charged up. If you are on the go alot then maybe the iPhone is for you. to me the trade off was worth it. Now..... just trying to decide on Black or White iPhone for Verizon.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Gmail
Google contacts
Google calendar
Google voice
Google maps with navigation beta
Google tasks
Google docs
------------------
Google talk
Google music beta
Google books
Google reader
Google shopper

Google has official apps for most of these. Contacts, calendar, and Gmail sync via Exchange (so you get push) and work excellently. Maps are ... okay... but you'll probably want to find an alternative, and there are plenty. Google tasks and docs have a bunch of great apps in the app store as well. The iPhone's iPod is the best music player on any phone (I've never had an Android - is music beta the music player?) as well.

A simple search in the app store will get you the plethora of apps available to substitute what Apple/Google don't have natively. You will not be disappointed unless you are absolutely 100% dependent on Google's navigation and can't possibly use any alternative :D

iamjose

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I have used Android for years, since it first came out. I just made the switch to an iPhone 4 (I still have my HTC Inspire).

I use Google for everything. The only shortfall on the iPhone is the lack of integrated nav, but I picked up Navigon on a deal. Honestly, I barely notice that I don't have an Android phone. My battery life is far superior on the iPhone, and the overall use experience is 10x better IMHO.

I use Google Voice for my phone number, that is the only glaring shortfall. The iPhone app isn't half bad, but it's not as good as the native Google integration.

Go far it. You won't regret it.

I only use Google voice for the voicemail... does the app store have a native Google app for it and how well does it work?

iamjose

May 26, 2011
Visit site
i switched from Evo 4G to ATT iPhone in Dec of last year. I missed some things,but to not have to carry a charger around or charge up at work after 4 hrs is priceless. if you work at a desk, then the Evo is a great phone cause you can keep it charged up. If you are on the go alot then maybe the iPhone is for you. to me the trade off was worth it. Now..... just trying to decide on Black or White iPhone for Verizon.

Yeah... I work at a hospital so I constantly have my Evo charged up. My main decision is whether to have the Google intergration with native apps or better stability and battery life.

If I can get most of my Google apps with the same ease with apple as I do with Android then I'd rather get the iPhone.

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Google has a native Google Voice app for the iPhone. It works really well and supports push notification. It works perfectly with voicemail on iOS.

Here's my main issue with Google Voice. I actually have my phone number ported to Google Voice, so I use it for calls. I have to use the Google Voice app to initiate calls, and for texts. With Android, I can use the stock contacts app. Apple does not allow access to its phone and messaging APIs like Google does, so you can't have the same level of integration you do with Android. That said, I don't expect Apple or Google to budge on this.

That said, since Verizon includes unlimited text in my plan, I have started using the number assigned to my iPhone. I'm in the military, so when I'm overseas I can still use Google Voice for texting, etc.

It works well enough for me. I don't regret ditching Android. I have a Mophie Juicepack air, too. I've had my iPhone off charger since 5 this morning. I'm at 50% battery with heavy use. When the battery hits 20%, I use the Juicepack to recharge the phone, and I'm good for another day of use. With an Evo, or my wife's Fascinate, you're looking at two or three full charge cycles.

iamjose

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Google has official apps for most of these. Contacts, calendar, and Gmail sync via Exchange (so you get push) and work excellently. Maps are ... okay... but you'll probably want to find an alternative, and there are plenty. Google tasks and docs have a bunch of great apps in the app store as well. The iPhone's iPod is the best music player on any phone (I've never had an Android - is music beta the music player?) as well.

A simple search in the app store will get you the plethora of apps available to substitute what Apple/Google don't have natively. You will not be disappointed unless you are absolutely 100% dependent on Google's navigation and can't possibly use any alternative :D

Can you explain the sync via exchange? My PC at home sucks b@ll$!

Tasks and docs I'm assuming I have to use a 3rd party app? Any suggestions?

The Google music beta was just released and its a cool concept. The basic jist of it - you store your music in the cloud and play it anywhere on any pc/device. And it stores music you've listened to recently locally on your phone.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Can you explain the sync via exchange? My PC at home sucks b@ll$!

Tasks and docs I'm assuming I have to use a 3rd party app? Any suggestions?

The Google music beta was just released and its a cool concept. The basic jist of it - you store your music in the cloud and play it anywhere on any pc/device. And it stores music you've listened to recently locally on your phone.

Setting up the exchange bit is a piece of pie! Here are the instructions: Mail, Calendar, & Contacts: Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device

I personally don't use Google Tasks, but the app I hear the most about for this would be GeeTasks. It has great ratings in the App Store as well :)

iOS doesn't have cloud music... yet. It's on its way, and is bound to be awesome. I dunno at what price that will come, however, haha...

iamjose

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys and gals... I got the white iPhone! Every I use on google ha worked great!! I've found a app for just about everything except google docs... But I'm using the web app in the mean time.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've found a app for just about everything except google docs... But I'm using the web app in the mean time.

Docs are a bit more unique on the iPhone... You'll find that a lot of the note taking apps sync with Docs, versus a standalone app existing for Docs alone. I use NoteMaster for my more complex notes, and it syncs with Google Docs very well. There are tons of others out there, too! A good portion of note-taking apps sync with Google Docs :)

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I came from a DX to iPh4 and brought all my Google/Gmail with me without ANY problems! Works just as smoothly as on the android system and the transition was automatic via iTunes when I started up the iPhone first time. I DO miss the voice navigation of Google Maps, but maybe someday that will be added. Otherwise, everything works the same. You will not have issues.

SHO_ONE#IM

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I am currently an Android user and love my EVO (Google Nav makes all of what I'm about to ask so difficult); however I just bought an ipad2 and I must admit it just works. I've had my EVO rooted (jail broken for those of you that aren't familiar with the term "rooted") since I bought the thing and that was only because I wasn't fully satisfied with how HTC implemented the UI and so on.... I digress.

As an owner of the Ipad 2, I know full well how awesome Apple product can be and feel it?s been the best decision I've made as I was thinking of waiting for the Samsung Tab 10.1.... Now I'm thinking about replacing my computers at home with Mac's and of course this brings me to my question.

Skip to here if you don't want back story...

From what I've gathered Apple may be releasing an iphone for Sprint, but no one knows if they will or not. With that in mind September may include the iphone 5 on Verizon and or AT&T or just a revamped iphone 4; however Verizon is set to go to tiered data plans and I would be screwed.

Keeping all of this in mind, imagine you could free yourself of your Sprint contract (4 lines) to go to any carrier you wanted. In my case it would be Verizon as IMHO AT&T simply sucks! Would you go? Would you go for the iPhone 4 now to catch the Verizon unlimited plan before the tiered plans nickel and dimed your check books? Would you wait for Sprint to receive the iphone and simply buy one out right? Would you wait for probable / possible release of the iphone 5 in September and just deal with the tiered plan Verizon is bound to screw us with then?

I'm leaning towards leaving Sprint now and going to Verizon, but I fear they'll simply screw me at every turn as they seem to fancy themselves the "God Carrier" for the US and now have the "God Phone" so double go F@$% yourself pleases get handed out.... Someone, anyone please help...!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73