bricked iphone

anneemonster

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
SOOOO i bricked my phone. i was trying to restore and update it to 4.2.8 and it would get about 3/4 of the way through the restore and tell me that there was an unknown error (9). i've tried everything the apple site says along with tinyumbrella. recboot is no longer available or i would've tried that also. anyone else have this issue? it's just stuck on the screen with the usb pointing the the itunes symbol. and yes, i am...was?...jailbroken.
any help wouls be awesome. i use my phone for everything :/

FrekeyZeeky

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend trying to do a restore before the upgrade. If you were on 4.2.6, then restore with that OS prior to upgrading to 4.2.8. This will install a fresh copy to be upgraded.

anon4705193

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
You said that you did everything the Apple website said to do, so forgive me if you tried this already, but did you force it into DFU mode and try to restore that way?

Swarm

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
first of all dont worry, it is not possible to "brick" youre iphone unless you throw it into the ocean or of a building. I would try putting the phone in dfu mode and restore that way. If that doesnt work you can always try restoring it on a different computer, and last just take it to apple and have them restore it on one of their computers there. if it is at the plug into itunes screen they cant tell that you were jailbroken so that should be ok to do if all else fails. Im sure a lot of us,including myself, have had this happen to us and were not sure what to do so just keep trying and remember its just software which almost always can be fixed. Use youtube as a resource it has helped me many times.

anneemonster

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
first of all dont worry, it is not possible to "brick" youre iphone unless you throw it into the ocean or of a building. I would try putting the phone in dfu mode and restore that way. If that doesnt work you can always try restoring it on a different computer, and last just take it to apple and have them restore it on one of their computers there. if it is at the plug into itunes screen they cant tell that you were jailbroken so that should be ok to do if all else fails. Im sure a lot of us,including myself, have had this happen to us and were not sure what to do so just keep trying and remember its just software which almost always can be fixed. Use youtube as a resource it has helped me many times.

yeah i've tried pretty much everything. either the programs don't do anything or they just don't work on my computer since it's basically a dinosaur compared to what's out now. i have an appointment with the genius people tomorrow so i'm thinking i'll just tell them i was trying to update it to 4.2.8 and it froze up on me. but if they ask if i'm jailbroken i'll most likely say yes...mostly because i'm a really bad liar lol.

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
To reboot when bricked, push & hold power button and home button for five seconds. Should launch the apple icon and reset your iPhone.

anneemonster

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I feel like the geniuses know people jailbreak their phones so it won't be a big deal, unless it's a d1ck genius lol.

knowing my luck, i'll get the douchiest person in the store lol. but hey, the way i see it, if apple gave us the options to begin with, no one would have to jailbreak in the first place. just sayin' haha.

anneemonster

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
To reboot when bricked, push & hold power button and home button for five seconds. Should launch the apple icon and reset your iPhone.

you don't understand how many times i've done this. along with recboot, irecovery, re-jailbreaking, and tinyumbrella. nothing.

Swarm

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I would keep the jailbreak stuff on the dl at the store you never know if the guy youre dealing with is a douche or not. But taking it to the store will likely fix the problem. Then you can jailbreak 4.2.8 with snowbreeze. Ideally if you had ur 4.2.6 blobs saved you could have restored with that firmware and been good to go but it sounds like it's not gonna happen with ur computer.

anneemonster

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I would keep the jailbreak stuff on the dl at the store you never know if the guy youre dealing with is a douche or not. But taking it to the store will likely fix the problem. Then you can jailbreak 4.2.8 with snowbreeze. Ideally if you had ur 4.2.6 blobs saved you could have restored with that firmware and been good to go but it sounds like it's not gonna happen with ur computer.

i didn't save anything...that i know of lol. i'll probably just tell them i was trying to update to 4.2.8 and see what happens. i'll probably hold off on the jailbreaking for a while though...

anneemonster

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
So I went to the apple store. Genius dude was really cool and just asked what the problem was. I told him that I was trying to update to 4.2.8. It was fixed in about 10 minutes. I'm just glad I have my phone back lol.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
glad you got it fixed. have you loaded all your music, photos etc.. back onto it yet? also, do you still plan on doing the Pure thing.. for now?

anneemonster

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Nope. I didn't tell him and he didn't ask. Since it was at the dreaded connect to iTunes screen I guess he wasn't able to know whether it was jailbroken or not. All he asked was what the problem was.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2