Need help restoring a 3GS

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Just got a 3GS from a guy who had it jailbroken and I have to restore it but I keep getting an error code 1015. Anyone know how to restore this?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Before all that I usually suggest opening Tiny Umbrella, looking under Advanced, and unchecking the point hosts to Cydia box--that will often cure the error issues. (For what it's worth I also updated my iTunes version recently; not sure if that might help depending on what version of iOS you're going to?)

Edit: Just remembered I also fixed a recent error issue using FixRecovery, downloaded from the Tiny Umbrella home page.

Last edited:

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Still no luck. Nothing. So this is worthless now because I don't have the shsh blobs? There has to be a way to install an iOS version on this thing.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
you do not need blobs if you're trying to install the latest OS (4.3.3)

edit your host file to remove the gs.apple line. save. close out of iTunes, go back into iTunes. then click on restore, it will ask if you want the new OS (4.3.3) YES!

you may have to put it into DFU mode first..

i apologize for not being precise, i am away from my computer

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I appreciate all the help, but still nothing. Same error code. If he had it jailbroken and unlocked to work with TMobile, should that matter at all?

Btw, I am trying to install iOS 4.3.3.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Oooh, I wonder if it's on the iPad baseband. If so, you can't use any of the normal restore methods--you can only use Pwnage Tool or Sn0wbreeze because you have to use a custom ipsw.

Reactions: ctt1wbw

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Can you get into the phone at all to confirm what the baseband is, or can you ask the person you got it from? (The iPad BB is 6.15.) But assuming it is, you'd download Pwnage (Mac) or Sn0wbreeze (Windows) and the 4.3.3 ipsw. These programs let you customize your firmware before you restore, which gets around a lot of problems with iTunes. You load up the ipsw, check off the options you need, and it rewrites the firmware just for you. Then, you restore to that firmware in iTunes. Ipheuria has written a lot about this, just search the forums for his name and the relevant tool.

Reactions: ctt1wbw

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Shibby! Success! Now one more question... since I had to do it this way, is it safe to update in the future, or should I update the iOS via pwnagetool like I just did now?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
There is an option to Activate your phone in the program?you don't want to check that since you're on an official carrier.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm beggining to wonder... this guy had it with TMobile... can it be used with ATT again with the iPad baseband?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh