Unusually High Data Usage

tryan08

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have had my iphone4 since before Christmas and have never exceeded my 1GB of data usage. This month, I have a $97.22 charge on my bill for overusage... I have no idea what I have done differently. I am in Canada and use Bell Mobility. I called them and they said that the charges occured over the course of about 4 days usually between 1-4pm. One charge came to $45 (at 0.05/mb that just seems like an awful lot)... and to make matters worse I was at work at the time and not actively on my phone. The rep suggested that there was possibly an app running in the background. I just have no idea and have done nothing different than previous months. Does anyone have any suggestions?? or is anyone aware of apps that run in the background and 'eat' data like crazy? :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The iOS multitalking system doesn't work like that. While apps are allowed to remain open in the background, they are put in a hibernated state where they can't chew through data. Do you have an itemized bill that you can look at? I would start there to see exactly where the charges were incurred.

this doesn't sound right at all.

JanetPanabaker

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
unexplained data usage

The same thing happened to me! There were several large chunks of data on my last Bell bill (one for 1.4G - 74$!) and I know they're not anything I did knowingly. My usage is usually 300-400 MB and this past month it was over 3G. Bell was very unhelpful, rude in fact, and so far Apple hasn't been much better. I can't afford an extra $150 on my phone bill...I wish someone could tell me how this happens and how to prevent it!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The same thing happened to me! There were several large chunks of data on my last Bell bill (one for 1.4G - 74$!) and I know they're not anything I did knowingly. My usage is usually 300-400 MB and this past month it was over 3G. Bell was very unhelpful, rude in fact, and so far Apple hasn't been much better. I can't afford an extra $150 on my phone bill...I wish someone could tell me how this happens and how to prevent it!

You can prevent this by monitoring your data usage. Im sure with Bell, you can monitor it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
What she told you about an app running in the background is BS...you need to dispute the charges tooth and nail.

@ Janet...how would Apple have anything to do with your data usage? Of course they would be unhelpful! They have no control over something your cell provider gives you! lol...

lawls

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
that happened to me last billing period, and I called rogers and they told me the same thing (app in background) which i know is bs, so i disputed it and they canceled the charge and gave me an extra 500 mb for free to finish the billing period

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2