Transfering data from iPhone back to iMac

inman2787

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi. My Mac's hard drive recently crashed and everything is wiped out. I have a new hard disk now.
My question is: How do I transfer data from my iPhone... back to my Mac? I would like to transfer data from my iCal, iTunes, iPhotos, SMS and contacts.
Would appreciate some advice. It's been a very frustrating experience. I don't want to screw up and end up deleting all my data from my iPhone instead.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
For your iTunes, I recommend Senuti app. Well worth the $20.

iCal and Contacts - sync to Google and you'll have your calendar and contacts and never worry about this kind of thing again.

Photos - email them all to yourself. It might take you a while, but at least you'll have them.

I don't believe there is a way to save your SMS.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
For photos, with a mac & iPhoto - all you need to do is have the iPhone connected to the mac and launch iPhoto and move them from the phone to the mac.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
iPhoto will only see those photos on your camera roll.

Presumably this person has lots of photos on his iPhone that were on his old Mac. These photos can't be seen from iPhoto...or anything else. If you don't want to lose them, you have to email them.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There's also iPhone Explorer and rooting around in the phone's OS... That will definitely allow fetching things off the phone.

AZ Gizmo

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
For photos, with a mac & iPhoto - all you need to do is have the iPhone connected to the mac and launch iPhoto and move them from the phone to the mac.

Interesting... Does this also apply to videos that were recorded on the iPhone, or do you need to use iMovie for that?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
No, no, no. You will lose almost everything this way. Authorizing your new Mac won't do anything for music not purchased through iTunes (for most of us, that's the majority), or your photos.

Log-in in to your iTunes account on your new Mac and then sync as normal. You'll be asked if you want to copy stuff from your iPhone to Mac (which you probably want to do) and then you should be able to continue as normal. Remember to authorize your new Mac with your iTunes account as well.