Notification Question

lawtai

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I just got my first iPhone so this may be a dumb question not having any experience in the iOs world.

For notifications to work properly for e-mail, or any apps, do I need to leave the program open? If I completely close out the e-mail program, will I still get notifications without having to go into the e-mail app? Same thing for other apps, do I need to leave them open to get a notification or will I still get one even if the app is closed and not running?

Thanks for any info.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I just got my first iPhone so this may be a dumb question not having any experience in the iOs world.

For notifications to work properly for e-mail, or any apps, do I need to leave the program open? If I completely close out the e-mail program, will I still get notifications without having to go into the e-mail app? Same thing for other apps, do I need to leave them open to get a notification or will I still get one even if the app is closed and not running?

Thanks for any info.

No, you do not need to leave them open. You will get push notifications from apps that support that. Even if you close the app from the fast app switcher you will still get push notifications as well.

For email alerts though you need to be sure you are using a service that provides push or set the iPhone to fetch at regular intervals to get alerts. With some third party apps you may need to configure push notification settings and some will just come automatically.

lawtai

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. For e-mail, I have Gmail which pushes and then a pop3 account which I set it to fetch.

From reading around, it seems like the facebook app notifications work when it feels like it, and the only other app I have right now that seems to push is Words with friends.

WreakingHavoc

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. For e-mail, I have Gmail which pushes and then a pop3 account which I set it to fetch.

From reading around, it seems like the facebook app notifications work when it feels like it, and the only other app I have right now that seems to push is Words with friends.

This has been a huge issue for me and I can say it's the only thing I miss from my BlackBerry days. Currently I'm using Boxcar (in app store) for Push notifications and it does the job. I believe the next iOS will have better notifications because it's usually the number one suggestion/complaint of the current iOS in surveys.

soulfetcher13

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
The notifications are a big deal to me, and almost a deal breaker. I am hopeful that with future updates this will be resolved. That said, I love iOS otherwise, its smooth functional and polished. I will however keep my ear to the ground to see what RIM comes up with though...but I love my Iphone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative