Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Default Considering a switch from Droid X to iPhone

Hi all, new to these forums!
    Originally when I first signed on to Verizon I bought the Blackberry Tour; it was great for messaging, but me being a tech-oriented teenager, I noticed some of the other features were lacking. So back in February I bought a used Droid X and so far it hasn't been bad at all; the Android OS certainly has a ton of positives, especially for social networking and the like. However, now that I think about it, I'm finding that the touted "customization" of Android isn't really something I need... I'm the kind of person that tends to stick to very stock builds. I certainly do love having a good graphical interface, but I don't need crazy themes or anything. I just like something that is polished and clean. As an owner of a 2nd gen iPod touch I have some experience with iOS, and from what I've noticed it's totally lag free and way more stable than Android OS. Don't get me wrong, I love my Droid, but I think the iPhone would suit me better.

Long story short, I'm thinking about switching to the iPhone 4 with my upgrade in July (I don't mind waiting for a couple months for the release of the 5 though). I'm big on text messaging (upwards of 3000 messages per month), and Facebook/web browsing in general. The Droid X suits me well but I'd like a more polished interface. Would be iPhone suit me? Thanks in advance!
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I would recommend the iPhone, however I don't know when the iPhone 5 is being released. You might be better off waiting until we all hear some more news on the iPhone 5. I caved in after waiting years for an iPhone, I can still get the iPhone 5 when it's released because I have more than one line on my account. Line 2 has upgrade next year.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    3,251 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.xx

i had the tour. did the droid x and then to the incredible. went to the iphone at launch and have really never looked back
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by i35 View Post
    Originally when I first signed on to Verizon I bought the Blackberry Tour; it was great for messaging, but me being a tech-oriented teenager, I noticed some of the other features were lacking. So back in February I bought a used Droid X and so far it hasn't been bad at all; the Android OS certainly has a ton of positives, especially for social networking and the like. However, now that I think about it, I'm finding that the touted "customization" of Android isn't really something I need... I'm the kind of person that tends to stick to very stock builds. I certainly do love having a good graphical interface, but I don't need crazy themes or anything. I just like something that is polished and clean. As an owner of a 2nd gen iPod touch I have some experience with iOS, and from what I've noticed it's totally lag free and way more stable than Android OS. Don't get me wrong, I love my Droid, but I think the iPhone would suit me better.

Long story short, I'm thinking about switching to the iPhone 4 with my upgrade in July (I don't mind waiting for a couple months for the release of the 5 though). I'm big on text messaging (upwards of 3000 messages per month), and Facebook/web browsing in general. The Droid X suits me well but I'd like a more polished interface. Would be iPhone suit me? Thanks in advance!
    Welcome.

I have both but my switching to a particular business application has made the iPhone my primary phone. Both are great products.

If you do a lot of texting you might miss the Droid X because it has superior keyboard options and the voice to text. It also has a bigger display but the sharp "retina" Apple display helps that.

Your Droid X is also superior for navigation and maps if you don't want to spend much money once you have the phone. That navigation is also better tied to the contacts and calendar.

If you use the Motorola widgets to control the radios you can do better with battery life too.

The Droid X is also better as a fast message machine because it has the keypad speed dial and the widgets that are instant text, call or email.

I hope all of that does not make the iPhone sound bad because it's not. The iPhone is always fast and I love the Easter eggs not everybody knows about such as controlling media while screen is locked and the buttons on the headphones.

You can tether and have hotspot with iPhone and only have hotspot with the X.

One point I see debated is battery life. Some say the X is terrible but I get more out of a single charge on the X where I only use location, bluetooth and wifi when needed on both phones. More for me is talk time and a lot of calendar and email.

You can certainly try both if you go in a Verizon store.

Keep in mind that a larger screen is among the rumors for a new Apple phone.

I don't know what to say about your "I'd like a more polished interface" comment because that's something you can polish with Android and not so much so with the iPhone. The Adroid Wave Launcher app comes to mind. That and missing the navigation are definitely missed here.

Good luck.
    iPhone Pro

iOS Version

Originally when I first signed on to Verizon I bought the Blackberry Tour; it was great for messaging, but me being a tech-oriented teenager, I noticed some of the other features were lacking.
    UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE CENTURY

I'm the kind of person that tends to stick to very stock builds. I certainly do love having a good graphical interface, but I don't need crazy themes or anything. I just like something that is polished and clean. As an owner of a 2nd gen iPod touch I have some experience with iOS, and from what I've noticed it's totally lag free and way more stable than Android OS. Don't get me wrong, I love my Droid, but I think the iPhone would suit me better.

I think you would love the iPhone, to be honest. The phone is gorgeous. Most of my friends have Androids, and when you compare the two visually, both hardware and software, the iP4 just blows them out of the water. The Retina display is b-e-a-utiful. It's extremely polished - it just feels superior when you use it... it's hard to explain. But like, when you tap an application, it opens. Period. No wait whatsoever. Ever. I have only had one app crash, and it was the free version of Words with Friends, and that app crashes all on its own. Everything functions flawlessly. I also text/IM a ton, and I fly on this phone. Facebook is FANTASTIC and the browser just rocks. Coming from BlackBerry, it's a breath of fresh air. Everything just WORKS. It's like going from a station wagon to a Lexus. Incredible. I also get like, two whole days on one charge, and I have upwards of 7-8 hours of usage time (that's with the screen on, and I keep my screen at about 75% brightness 24/7). I really think you'd love the iPhone.
    C H I R M E R
    Graphic designer, classical musician, Paleo eater, evolutionary runner & all-around Apple fangirl.
    2008 Macbook (white, 4GB RAM) [sold] >> iPod Touch (1st Gen, 8 GB) [sold]>> iPhone 4 (black, 16 GB) >> 2012 Macbook Pro w/Retina Display (2.3 GHz 16GB RAM)
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

When I first upgraded I did the same exact thing. I got the tour and it was good but boring though I liked bb messenger. Then I got on eBay and got an original droid (this is months ago when incredible was still pricy and I could only afford the original Droid). So now I'm eligible to upgrade and I'm holdingout for the iPhone 5. I have an iPad 1 and a iPod touch 2g and I love iOS. Can't wait for the new iPhone but the wait will be totally worth it.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,607 Global Posts

Would be iPhone suit me?
    Sounds like it. Try it out to see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
    One point I see debated is battery life. Some say the X is terrible but I get more out of a single charge on the X where I only use location, bluetooth and wifi when needed on both phones. More for me is talk time and a lot of calendar and email.
    Android battery life is heavily influenced by the user's particular usage. Any Android device really requires that the user manually address battery hogs.

Quote Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
    I don't know what to say about your "I'd like a more polished interface" comment because that's something you can polish with Android and not so much so with the iPhone.
    He's referring to how the iOS interface is more polished out-of-the-box. Don't forget the mention of preferring not to deal with customizations.
    Last edited by briareus; 05-11-2011 at 10:23 PM.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Thanks everyone, for the suggestions! The whole thing about the more polished interface was that iOS seems a lot smoother, cleaner, and a bit more intuitive when it comes to basic things; Android tends to have some lag when swiping between home screens and opening some apps. I also really like the sharper display of the iPhone and I'm finding that I don't really need all 4.3" of screen space I get on the Droid.. It ends up being more a brick in my pocket than anything. I'm really liking how the iPhone camera seems to take better pictures too. My upgrade isn't until July so hopefully by then we'll have at least SOME information about the iPhone 5 and I can debate then on what I'll do. Thanks again, I'll be hanging around on the forums learning as much as I can!