Iphone 4 - I'm going crazy!

deidrett

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I thought I would have found a solution online by now but no luck whatsoever.... Soooo good night guys, I have a dilemma. My Iphone does not turn on. I get an apple icon when I attempt doing a manual reset and then the screen gets black and nothing... It I've done the manual reset a million times (simultaneous home and power buttons) and nothing.. would seem that the phone is in DFU mode. This all happened after I tried to do a complete reset. The phone was jailbroken but not unlocked.

I've plugged it into my computer and turned on Itunes. The apple icon shows and nothing else... I do the manual reset while plugged in, Itunes "detects an Iphone in Recovery mode and requests that a Restore be done before it can be used with Itunes. The phone information displayed says "N/A". I attempt a restore and get an 3194 error. I have no saved SHSHs for this phone.

I've installed the latest Itunes, downloaded TinyUmbrella to try kickin it out of DFU mode... nothing. It is invisble on the TinyUmbrella side panel but there's an option to "Fix Recovery" which has does nothing. The last time I attempted to Fix recovery I got this terrifying error to "kill TinyUmbrella" :/

Any hints?!

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
run the jailbreak again...worked for me before.

or you may just be able to edit the host files...its a fairly simple process...

for mac

Step 1. On your Mac, go to your ?Applications? folder.
Step 2. Now navigate to the ?Utilities? folder.
Step 3. Launch "Terminal".
Step 4. Type "sudo nano /etc/hosts" (without quotes) and hit return.
Step 5. Enter your password
Step 6. Use the down arrow key to find the ?gs.apple.com? entries. Once the cursor is in front, make sure you comment out the line(s) by entering ?#? in front of the text.
Step 7. Save the file by pressing CONTROL+O.
Step 8. Exit the nano editor by pressing CONTROL+X.
Step 9. Restore your iDevice

for windows..

Step 1. Start ?> Programs ?> Accessories
Step 2. Run Notepad or WordPad
Step 3. Click ?Open..? from File menu.
Step 4. Browse to Windows/System32/drivers/etc
Step 5. In "files of type:" select all documents
Step 6. Open "hosts"
Step 7. Delete all line that has "gs.apple.com" or something like that
Step 8. Hit Save
Step 9. Restore your device

if none of that works try using a seperate computer if possible. if its not possible, then create a new account on the same computer and try that. believe it or not that does work

Reactions: deidrett

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
to add to my last post, i would try using a seperate computer that has never had a jailbroken device hooked up to it before first, if thats not possible try the editing the hosts, then if that doesnt work run the jailbreak again. running the jailbreak again would just put you back into jailbroken state again, but at least the phone would be usable. all else fails take the phone to apple and they wont be able to tell that you were jailbroken

deidrett

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Notepad: Run as Admin

Ok. I right-clicked Notepad to Run as Administrator and that seemed to do the trick. I will let you know if the changes made a difference soon. Thank you for all the help so far. =)

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem. Finally, i had to make a 150 mile round trip to my "local" Apple store, and they fixed the problem within 5 minutes. Good luck.:)

robclif4d

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
This should work

I thought I would have found a solution online by now but no luck whatsoever.... Soooo good night guys, I have a dilemma. My Iphone does not turn on. I get an apple icon when I attempt doing a manual reset and then the screen gets black and nothing... It I've done the manual reset a million times (simultaneous home and power buttons) and nothing.. would seem that the phone is in DFU mode. This all happened after I tried to do a complete reset. The phone was jailbroken but not unlocked.

I've plugged it into my computer and turned on Itunes. The apple icon shows and nothing else... I do the manual reset while plugged in, Itunes "detects an Iphone in Recovery mode and requests that a Restore be done before it can be used with Itunes. The phone information displayed says "N/A". I attempt a restore and get an 3194 error. I have no saved SHSHs for this phone.

I've installed the latest Itunes, downloaded TinyUmbrella to try kickin it out of DFU mode... nothing. It is invisble on the TinyUmbrella side panel but there's an option to "Fix Recovery" which has does nothing. The last time I attempted to Fix recovery I got this terrifying error to "kill TinyUmbrella" :/

Any hints?!

I had the same problem.....see my posting here with the solution that worked. After you alter the host file, reboot your PC/laptop. After I rebooted, 4.3.3 installed with no issues.

http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlock-forum/212493-dire-need-help.html

Rob

deidrett

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok. Now I can type, lol

Initially, what ya'll posted didn't work because everytime I closed Tiny Umbrella and deleted the gs.apple.com line in the hosts file, saved it and restarted the comp, the line reappeared when I opened Tiny Umbrella! Not really sure what my thought process was and why I kept reopening Tiny Umbrella in the first place though, lol..

I eventually closed TU and opened Itunes and clicked Restore. The Iphone screen got white. I heard the little "connected" sound and the restore finally went through. I don't care that the firmware is perhaps updated beyond unlocking ability, I'm just glad to see something other than a blank screen! THANK YOU GUYS!! xoxo (times a million)

ckalli

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Tried it... upon attempting to save it says I need permission from the administrator. I thought I was administrator already :S

drag the "host" file onto ur desktop.
edit it using txtedit.
drag it back into the /etc/ forlder.
it will ask u to authorize.

type in ur password and ur good to go.
just restore normally

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member