Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    SealTeam6's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default Blackberry User of 7 years Switches to the iPhone 4

    Hi all,

    I am new to the forum (hope this is in the right place). I have been a Blackberry user for 7 years now and my last two BBs the Tour and the Storm 2 were quite awful and so far behind that times that when I heard I could get Lotus Notes on the iPhone I made the switch.

    So far I really love the phone...the only downsides I can see are slower email, 360 degrees of glass and a non-modular battery.

    Anyways, I thought I would introduce myself and hopefully I can make a positive contribution to the forum.
  2. #2  
    DonNguyen#IM's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    35 Posts

    Default

    i, too, was a long time blackberry user...loving the iPhone
    Storm -> Tour -> Storm 2 -> Bold 9650 -> White Verizon iPhone
  3. #3  
    shimojunk's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

    Default

    Welcome. I came from a BB too and my BB Curve 8330 was a very solid phone that got great battery life, had great push notifications and notification system but was really showing it's age.

    The iphone's email and notification is pretty horrid compared to BB's and battery life has to be closely monitored as well, but everything else is like day and night compared to the BB.
  4. #4  
    DonNguyen#IM's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    35 Posts

    Default

    i dont think the battery life is as bad as everyone says...consider what you're running on your iphone and think about how it'd affect the battery life on a BB...pretty standard
    Storm -> Tour -> Storm 2 -> Bold 9650 -> White Verizon iPhone
  5. #5  
    cdowner's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,158 Global Posts

    Default

    Hi and welcome!

    For the slower email thing, if you set up your Gmail (if you use it) or other exchange-based email through the Microsoft Exchange setup on your phone you will have the same kind of instant push that you are used to with your Blackberry. Other email providers though not so much unless they're forwarded through a Gmail set up in that way
  6. #6  
    Bob_B's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default

    From one ex fellow BB user to another....Welcome to the Dark Side...try the punch, hahaha. Slower emails???? Mine are actually faster now. Love the phone, onlu thing I miss is profiles, but there are ways around that.

    Bob
  7. #7  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,921 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonNguyen View Post
    i dont think the battery life is as bad as everyone says...consider what you're running on your iphone and think about how it'd affect the battery life on a BB...pretty standard
    I agree. My iPhone 4 gets the same day and a half out of a charge as my Blackberry Bold does.


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.
  8. #8  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,921 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_b View Post
    onlu thing I miss is profiles, but there are ways around that.

    Bob
    Yes, the best way to get profiles on the iPhone is to Jailbreak.


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    SealTeam6's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdowner View Post
    Hi and welcome!

    For the slower email thing, if you set up your Gmail (if you use it) or other exchange-based email through the Microsoft Exchange setup on your phone you will have the same kind of instant push that you are used to with your Blackberry. Other email providers though not so much unless they're forwarded through a Gmail set up in that way
    I can use Gmail through the MSFT exchange setup? Interesting. On my Blackberry I had to pay an extra $10 a month for the enterprise email will that be the same if I use Gmail through MSFT exchange?

    Also is there a tutorial somewhere? What do I enter in for "sever" ("smtp.gmail.com" ?) and "domain"?
    Last edited by SealTeam6; 05-03-2011 at 08:36 PM.
  10. #10  
    soulfetcher13's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

    Default



    try that and it should help and no, it will not cost you extra.

    welcome btw. I too was a blackberry fanatic. i miss the red blinking light and bbm. thats about it!
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    SealTeam6's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soulfetcher13 View Post


    try that and it should help and no, it will not cost you extra.

    welcome btw. I too was a blackberry fanatic. i miss the red blinking light and bbm. thats about it!
    That is what I needed, perfect! Yes I too miss the flashing red light. Thank you!
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    SealTeam6's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default

    What makes an iPhone 4 case not compatible with a CDMA iPhone? Are they physically different?
  13. #13  
    oNly1pHone's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    77 Posts

    Default

    Said goodbye to my BB's a while back too! I read a lot before switching and was wondering if the things that the OP mentioned were going to be a big problem. In all honesty, the iPhone is such a joy to use and there is actually nothing about the BB that I miss! I don't really know why some people complain about the email as mine seems to come through no slower than my BB email. Each one has different needs or preferences I guess, not sure! Have never been sorry I made the switch to iPhone!!
  14. #14  
    soulfetcher13's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SealTeam6 View Post
    What makes an iPhone 4 case not compatible with a CDMA iPhone? Are they physically different?
    Due to the placement of the cdma antenna, the volume and silent switch have been moved just slightly. Some cases will work, some will not.
  15. #15  
    ajonesma's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,683 Global Posts

    Default

    I didnt even know blackberry had been around for 7 years lol
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    SealTeam6's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soulfetcher13 View Post
    Due to the placement of the cdma antenna, the volume and silent switch have been moved just slightly. Some cases will work, some will not.
    Without a case do you have to hold the phone upside down to get signal or is that just the GSM model?

    Quote Originally Posted by ajonesma View Post
    I didnt even know blackberry had been around for 7 years lol
    They have been around longer than that. My first one was a Blue 7200 with a scroll wheel and a really terrible color screen.
  17. #17  
    soulfetcher13's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

    Default

    the scroll wheel. what a disaster but gave way to the trackball. win
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    SealTeam6's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soulfetcher13 View Post
    the scroll wheel. what a disaster but gave way to the trackball. win
    I was way better at brick breaker with the scroll wheel...that trackball was a difficult adjustment.
  19. #19  
    cdowner's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,158 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SealTeam6 View Post
    Without a case do you have to hold the phone upside down to get signal or is that just the GSM model?


    I've had no problems at all getting a signal with my phone right side up since I got in in February. Looks like that one might have been solved with the slight antenna move.
  20. #20  
    mi_canuck#IM's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    53 Posts

    Default

    i'm wondering if the Playbook (once properly updated with native email and apps)... and the recently announced Touch Bold 9900/9930 will sway some BB users back...
  21. #21  
    cdowner's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,158 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi_canuck View Post
    i'm wondering if the Playbook (once properly updated with native email and apps)... and the recently announced Touch Bold 9900/9930 will sway some BB users back...
    the Playbook looks like a nice device, I've seen it on crackberry, but for me I can't see myself really going back to Blackberry. The Apple iOS is more in tune to my other devices (Macbook, iPod touch) and does everything I want and need from a smartphone incredibly well. I can't rule it out though, who knows what RIM may put out 2 years from now. I'd be interested to see what others say too that made the change from BB to iPhone.
  22. #22  
    soulfetcher13's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

    Default

    Blackberry will always have a special place for me, it was my first smartphone, in fact is was my first 3 smartphones storm 1>storm 2>bold 9650, Loved them all. It does so many things natively that after seeing other platforms, android and now ios, i miss so many things that blackberry did. It really was well thought out down to the finest details. That said, it is a messaging phone. It doesnt do multimedia, browsing, gaming etc and everyone that criticizes blackberry for not doing them is folly. Ios does many of the things blackberry does, so does android but not in the same way, and much of the time not native to the os itself. I love my iphone, have waited for it to come to verizon. But i still have my small legion of berries just in case...I don't think I will every not check around just to see what RIM is up to.
  23. #23  
    Traveling Guy's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

    Default

    You will be so impressed with what the I Phone does versus what it doesn't do, i.e. the little red blinking light. I have my email setup using an IMAP account and not only do things work better than using my BB on a BIS, I only have to pay Verizon $29.99 for the data plan versus $44.95/month plan I had before!
  24. #24  
    takeshi's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    299 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,607 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SealTeam6 View Post
    So far I really love the phone...the only downsides I can see are slower email
    That depends a bit on your email account. My Exchange email isn't any slower than it was on BES.

    Quote Originally Posted by SealTeam6 View Post
    On my Blackberry I had to pay an extra $10 a month for the enterprise email will that be the same if I use Gmail through MSFT exchange?
    You're not going through Exchange. You're setting up gmail access via ActiveSync. There is no BES or BIS equivalent on iOS so no extra charge that comes with BIS or BES. No RIM outages either.

    Quote Originally Posted by oNly1pHone View Post
    I don't really know why some people complain about the email as mine seems to come through no slower than my BB email.
    For POP accounts, BIS made them seem more like push since it would automatically adjust polling intervals of the POP account based on activity. If you aren't using POP accounts (a good thing since they're very old school) you probably won't notice much of a difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajonesma View Post
    I didnt even know blackberry had been around for 7 years lol
    Try 12 years. The original BB's looked like pagers.

    Quote Originally Posted by mi_canuck View Post
    i'm wondering if the Playbook (once properly updated with native email and apps)... and the recently announced Touch Bold 9900/9930 will sway some BB users back...
    Maybe. Not this one though. Too little, too late but that has applied to RIM for ages.

    Quote Originally Posted by soulfetcher13 View Post
    It doesnt do multimedia, browsing, gaming etc and everyone that criticizes blackberry for not doing them is folly.
    It's hardly folly. It's 2011. If it was 5 years ago I could almost understand your assertion. Again, too little, too late IMO. ActiveSync on Android and iOS is just as good as BES so "BB is king of email" just doesn't hold water anymore. BB's can't even sync email. They all (even on BES) push and reconcile. BB does retain an edge in security, especially with its IT policies but that only matters to the corporate world and not to individual consumers.

    Why do you think all smartphones are compared to the iPhone? Multimedia, browsing, gaming etc aren't niceties these days. They're expected.

    Quote Originally Posted by soulfetcher13 View Post
    so does android but not in the same way, and much of the time not native to the os itself.
    I've never understood this criticism. Unless you're the type to buy a new PC and only use Notepad, Wordpad and Paint. Part of the point of a smartphone, for me anyway, is extensibility. YMMV, obviously.
    Last edited by briareus; 05-05-2011 at 05:46 PM.
  25. #25  
    rightmuch's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

    Default Another former BB user

    Like many, I never thought I'd be saying goodbye to my BB. It was the only smartphone I had for 5 years. BB's "upgrade" to OS6 did it for me. Seemed worse than previous versions. Got the VZ iPhone 4 and have to say now I know why people lined up for this thing. So smooth, better battery life, and you can get an app called Pushmail to do what BB email does. As one analyst suggested, BB is now just a messaging phone and that's about it and their Playbook is a disaster. Never thought they'd get left in the dust like this, but that's what's happened.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B