White iPhone 4 screen very 'yellow' and dark compared to Black iPhone 4

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Return it it will never go away! I kept returning mine til I got a normal hue, dont hope for blue the right screen is the one thats not too blue and not too yellow. If you know anything about calibrating tvs the blue saturated look is not properly calibrated. I compared my current iPhone with my iPad 2, same hue. Meanwhile, all new viphones I've seen from coworkers are yellow as hell and some coworkers are too blue. I prefer mine since it's neutral and knowing how to calibrate helps alot making choices on lcds.

Last edited:

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
That isn't the case. My wifes white is exactly the same as the OP. It doesn't bother her. I noticed it and pointed it out to her. She says it's fine the way it is. If it was me, I'd swap it and if it happen again I would return it.

Actually that is the issue of what gives the yellow hue.. its been noted across several forms, and happens to be the case with my white iPad 2.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Actually that is the issue of what gives the yellow hue.. its been noted across several forms, and happens to be the case with my white iPad 2.

Oh I believe it. We actually were at App,e this weekend and some displayed had different shades than others. Probably just depends on where manufactured.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
So I sold my original 1 year old iP4 on Ebay yesterday and went out and bought two new iPhone 4's tonight...1 white and 1 black. I was veeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyy disappointed with the yellow tint of BOTH new phones as compared to my original one. Huge difference! Side by side the yellow tint just makes the white letters (Settings screen) look blurry compared to my old black one. Greys look green on the yellow hue phones versus a nice blue grey on the old one. I'll update this post with pictures of all three as soon as the restore finishes on the old one I'm shipping out tomorrow. :(

brokenxreality

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I had this exact problem!! 4 white iPhones and many hours spent at genius bar, and calling apple I finally got one that isn't yellow hue. I told them if the next one was yellow again I was gonna return it and they were gonna buy my contract out on Verizon (their stupid dumb ass 14 day policy.) Now the problem I have is a little light leakage. But heck no am I going to go through this crap again. I'm seriously thinking when my 2 years are up I will not upgrade to iPhone 6 or whatever is out. I'm done and not pleased with apple anymore.

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
When IP first came out they had a blueish tint on them... starting week 38 or even earlier production the display manufacturer that was used were all yellow screens.

In all honesty compared to the blue tinge vs the yellow tinge i think the yellow maybe a little better as its "warm" and not super "cool" temperature wise.

I had to go do this ordeal with my ip4 when it first came out and after switching a dozen or so phones even some brand new ones i just settled. At one point i had about 6 ip4s with me and they all had yellow tinge to them some were more than the others.

Recently i had to exchange mine for home button issue and the one i got was exactly the same...

Here is a screen shot of a few ip4s with various build weeks... auto brightness disabled max brightness.

ip4colour2.jpg

ip4colour2b.jpg

ip4colour.all.three.jpg

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
My text again as it was limited to a width and my text never got wrapped around.

----

When IP first came out they had a blueish tint on them... starting week 38 or even earlier production the display manufacturer that was used were all yellow screens.

In all honesty compared to the blue tinge vs the yellow tinge i think the yellow maybe a little better as its "warm" and not super "cool" temperature wise.

I had to go do this ordeal with my ip4 when it first came out and after switching a dozen or so phones even some brand new ones i just settled. At one point i had about 6 ip4s with me and they all had yellow tinge to them some were more than the others.

Recently i had to exchange mine for home button issue and the one i got was exactly the same...

Here is a screen shot of a few ip4s with various build weeks... auto brightness disabled max brightness.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Isn't this the "the glue that holds the screen and glass together has not cured" problem? If so, it will go away as the glue cures... Much ado about nothing, IMHO.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't get good clear pics but the post above is exactly how mine looks. I decided to box up the old one and mail it and pretend it never existed! ;)

Honestly, without having a blue screen to compare it to, my beautiful new white iP4 screen looks just fine. If I'd shipped the old one yesterday, BEFORE I got this one, I really don't think I'd have ever known there was any difference.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't get good clear pics but the post above is exactly how mine looks. I decided to box up the old one and mail it and pretend it never existed! ;)

Honestly, without having a blue screen to compare it to, my beautiful new white iP4 screen looks just fine. If I'd shipped the old one yesterday, BEFORE I got this one, I really don't think I'd have ever known there was any difference.

I'm not saying that it isn't an issue... but what I am saying is that in a week or two, after the glue cures completely, it WON'T be an issue... Of course, that is unless this is a completely different issue. But the "yellow screen" issue has been around since the iPhone 4 launched... and some of the iPads are also exhibiting it "out of the box"... but it is self-remedying within a couple of weeks at the most.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying that it isn't an issue... but what I am saying is that in a week or two, after the glue cures completely, it WON'T be an issue... Of course, that is unless this is a completely different issue. But the "yellow screen" issue has been around since the iPhone 4 launched... and some of the iPads are also exhibiting it "out of the box"... but it is self-remedying within a couple of weeks at the most.

I guess since I never had 2 igadgets at the same time I never paid attention to posts concerning this issue. That said, I prefer the blue tint to the yellow tint, but not enough to take it back. So I'm going on the fact that you are always pretty knowledgeable (am I giving you enough credit?!) :) and hope it clears up. I'm really not OCD, I was just shocked at the difference.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I guess since I never had 2 igadgets at the same time I never paid attention to posts concerning this issue. That said, I prefer the blue tint to the yellow tint, but not enough to take it back. So I'm going on the fact that you are always pretty knowledgeable (am I giving you enough credit?!) :) and hope it clears up. I'm really not OCD, I was just shocked at the difference.

Thanks. I hope I'm right on this now :) :eek:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
no not the glue issue. different manufacturer for the screens.

I agree with this. Depending on where it's manufactured, it has a different tint to it. Both mine and my wifes white iPhones are 3 months old had have a different shade/tint to the screen. No big deal to us.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77