Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    RSS
    iPhone Newbie

Default Turn off keyboard tone

I'm a new Iphone owner and I can't figure out how to turn off the keyboard tone when I forced to dial a call manually. Any suggestions on how to turn the tone off? I've turned off the keyboard sounds in settings but it's still making the tones when dialing a call.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,543 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

You mean that tone each key makes when you press it for dialing? You can't turn that off.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    RSS
    iPhone Newbie

Bummer. Thanks for reply
    iPhone Beginner

Yes, you can if you jailbreak. Rename each dtmf-#.caf file to dtmf-#.bak in the /System/Library/Audio/UISounds folder using iFile.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Turn off keyboard tone

To turn off the key tones open the key pad and turn the volume all the way down. This will turn the tone off. It will not turn off or turn down your ringer volume.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    I'm a new Iphone owner and I can't figure out how to turn off the keyboard tone when I forced to dial a call manually. Any suggestions on how to turn the tone off? I've turned off the keyboard sounds in settings but it's still making the tones when dialing a call.
    Flip the silent switch on the left side of the phone above the volume buttons... this will silence all tones, including the keypad dialer sounds and the camera shutter sound...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina

Top answer! Spot on! Thank you

But now it's gone back to being loud even w/ vol turned right down on the keypad screen