FaceTime (Why WiFi restriction?) vs GoogleTalk Video, Skype, Tango, Vtok (WiFi+3G)

H_D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I have had my iPhone 4 for a little over a month now and loving it so far. One thing that is bugging me though is Apple or AT&T or both have restricted FaceTime calling to only Wi-Fi and disabled it on 3G. Video calling apps such as Vtok, Tango, Skype, etc... all are operational over 3G. With Google announcing today that GoogleTalk video calling will now be part of the OS and be available to use over Wi-Fi or 3G, does anyone think that Apple/AT&T/Verizon will loosen the reigns a bit on this ridiculous restriction? :rolleyes:

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I don't see why they shouldn't other apps have been allowed over 3g now. Though if you are jail broken you can bypass it.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Verizon is more likely to get Facetime/3G, especially since their moving forward with LTE *elbows AT&T*. Their connection is more consistent though its generally slower. AT&T is faster but may drop Facetime calls...

I doubt Apple would give the same iPhone different major features based on the network it's on, simultaneous voice and data is an exception. They may wait until AT&T has more HSPA+ coverage ( or any at all ) or maybe until LTE , who knows...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox