Tethering

iRooney

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I know this can be done with jailbreaking in many ways, but until something untethered comes along for 4.2.7 I'm trying to scope out my options here....since it does appear that the verizon firmware always gets patched last....anywho here's my question...

If I am on an unlimited data plan, what happens if I choose to add tethering to my plan? I get that it is an additional $20 per month for it, but will it kill my unlimited data and put me on a tiered plan? How exactly does it work in this situation?

Alternatively, anyone have any clue of when untethered 4.2.7 will come around? Unfortunately I had no idea what an shsh blob was until I was already on 4.2.7.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I know this can be done with jailbreaking in many ways, but until something untethered comes along for 4.2.7 I'm trying to scope out my options here....since it does appear that the verizon firmware always gets patched last....anywho here's my question...

If I am on an unlimited data plan, what happens if I choose to add tethering to my plan? I get that it is an additional $20 per month for it, but will it kill my unlimited data and put me on a tiered plan? How exactly does it work in this situation?

Alternatively, anyone have any clue of when untethered 4.2.7 will come around? Unfortunately I had no idea what an shsh blob was until I was already on 4.2.7.

My bill and the usage app show my unlimited data for the device and the capped data for the hotspot or tethering.

I have two iPhones but have never used one as my main phone or with this service for more than days. I will probably keep with iPhone use now because of a particular app. My account rep said my bill will not change.

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
If you want tethering, the legitimate way, and chose the plan with att, then you will lose your unlimited data plan and have to go to one of the tiered plans. You can't have tethering and unlimited data

iRooney

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
They don't happen to offer a way of tethering by set usage and not time do they? I'd rather pre-purchase 2gb of tethering data whenever I use it. I really only tether to my iPad when I am out and about and need to get on it. I'd use maybe 100MB a month if that. If not they need to consider it. A lot less jailbreaking would be going on. The only reason I will be jailbreaking is to get PDANet.

mi_canuck#IM

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
with vzw, phone data is still unlimited, while the tethered data is under 2GB cap... works well... since you can stream pandora and what not on the phone and not worry, and still have 2GB for tethering only... whereas with at&t, you're stuck having ALL your data phone + tethering, under the data cap...

korp#IM

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
with vzw, phone data is still unlimited, while the tethered data is under 2GB cap... works well... since you can stream pandora and what not on the phone and not worry, and still have 2GB for tethering only... whereas with at&t, you're stuck having ALL your data phone + tethering, under the data cap...

Yup you stay unlimited on the phone and 2GB for tethering.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
One thing to note is that if you read the fine print to tethering, it states that all data use on your phone while tethering is part of the 2GB limit. So how I read that is, lets say your WiFi tethering an iPad to your iPhone to browse the web but your also streaming Slacker radio on your iPhone at the same time. In this situations all the data used from Slacker (iPhone) and web browsing (iPad) will count towards that 2GB limit.

Has anyone noticed this or can confirm?

Also, unfortunately Verizon has chosen to charge $20 per GB after the 2GB limit, so use it wisely!

Last edited:

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
In this situations all the data used from Slacker (iPhone) and web browsing (iPad) will count towards that 2GB limit.

Has anyone noticed this or can confirm?

That is correct. When you turn tethering on, the data "meter" turns on, and whether you are browsing safari on your iPhone or using a browser on your laptop, the data meter is ticking. All data when tethering is turned on counts towards your tethering cap.

Reactions: j7469

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, confirming (my friend is an asst store mgr) that as a couple members have stated that the Verizon cap only applies when tethering.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Tethering without jail-breaking is prohibitively expensive. $20- for the first bit every month is really steep.

iRooney

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Until they untether 4.2.7 I have no choice but to consider my options. I figured it would have been done by now n

Asunners

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I used VZ tethering before I jail broke (4.2.6) and turned it on and off when needed as I only need it a couple of days per month. It is a little bit of a pain to do as you have to do it from their website via the iPhone, but I can confirm it works well (turned on quickly).

lmittell

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
^^^
No-- you have to log in (or call) each time you want to authorize the feature. Once you've authorized it, no further account log-in is required until you want to cancel it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2