Does using an external battery or battery case hurt the original phone battery?

RC28

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Just curious as I read a comment somewhere that it isn't good to use a battery case as it can damage the original battery.

p2kart

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I personally dont see how it would... The batteries are put in parallel... so if theres a voltage difference one will charge the other until they equalize, then both will power the device equally until they both run out...

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm not an expert, but in terms of the two batteries equalizing as p2kart mentioned would be correct if both are placed in parallel. However, I don't agree that the external batteries don't damage the original batteries. Can't explain the technical aspect, but think about the fact that rechargeable batteries have a finite number of times that it can be recharged. With this in mind, the external battery is technically charging your original battery when it is plugged in just like if you were charging it with a wall charger.

RC28

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
p2kart and wrxnfx that makes sense. However if the battery is at 100% or close to it, it should power it without charging it. The external battery I have says using it is one way to save and prolong your battery. I am not sure if that is just marketing hype.:)

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
p2kart and wrxnfx that makes sense. However if the battery is at 100% or close to it, it should power it without charging it. The external battery I have says using it is one way to save and prolong your battery. I am not sure if that is just marketing hype.:)

Without knowing the circuitry, we probably won't know for sure. If the battery is bypassed at 100%, it is possible that the external pack would take over. This does make sense. I'm wondering if it truly is this way only because a lot of people say that docking you phone extended periods would damage your battery. The phone is not setup to know the difference between wall charger, external battery, etc.

RC28

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I know there are a lot of people who use Mophie juice pak battery cases. I keep hoping someone who has used one for awhile would chime in and report what effects if any they see on the battery. Real time usage tells a lot.

LavenderFemChi

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re: Does using an external battery or battery case hurt the original phone battery?iphone used with

I've never had a problem with my Morphie case or phones I've been using Morphie battler pack over 6 yrs

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro