iphone 4 n00b - email questions

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
coming from berry (which i will now just use as work phone) i am finding the iphone email slow. so far i only added gmail to the iphone and its definitely slow. what can i do to speed it up?

i read theres different options for adding gmail.... the regular way, exchange and mobileme. is there any good guide on the pros/cons?

also, i have imap enabled on my gmail.

anon4705193

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
You're not going to get the same push you did/do with the BlackBerry because iPhone doesn't have the BIS/BES system. If you set your gmail up as an exchange you will get the push you're used to. Any other types of email (Yahoo, etc) won't get that without first forwarding to a gmail.

bellizima

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
i use exchange and it will never compare to bberry email. attachments are a joke..have to download it and when forwarding it thinks forever unless on wifi. Trust me the i4 is great but for talking clarity and email the bberry bold kills iphone still. I just got my 11 in air and along w 4 g card i no longer need the iphone. I am going to get the new bold touch this summer because i email alot of large attachments and talk 3000-4000 mins a month..i4 sucks for that

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
i use exchange and it will never compare to bberry email. attachments are a joke..have to download it and when forwarding it thinks forever unless on wifi. Trust me the i4 is great but for talking clarity and email the bberry bold kills iphone still. I just got my 11 in air and along w 4 g card i no longer need the iphone. I am going to get the new bold touch this summer because i email alot of large attachments and talk 3000-4000 mins a month..i4 sucks for that

LOL what?? You serious? Lol! My Blackberry could not do ANYTHING good in email. Took FOREVER to download attachments, and most were impossible make use of on the BB anyway. And the reason the attachments take a while is a Verizon issue, not a phone one. Mine loads attachments in a jiffy. Unlike blackberry, the iPhone can download an entire email at once - no truncation. Also, emails with images actually SHOW THE IMAGES, unlike BlackBerries, where you have to either install a 3rd party app or tell the phone to load the images for EACH INDIVIDUAL EMAIL. Also, the Blackberries don't let you have access to your folders for your email... WTF! I just cannot understand how ppl think Blackberries have good email capabilities... It is nothing but a hassle. The iPhone blows it AWAY.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
any downside to using exchange? anything the gmail imap offers that exchange doesnt?

Exchange is the best email option on the iPhone. It means your email will be pushed and you can sync your calendars and contacts, all wirelessly. It is a way better email experience than I personally got on Blackberry. :)

danimal1968

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

IIRC the blackberry truncates large emails. If you go to this site's sister forums at crackberry.com you'll see lots of complaining about that.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
any downside to using exchange? anything the gmail imap offers that exchange doesnt?

You have that backwards, Exchange > IMAP. With Exchange you will get your email pushed to your iPhone so it will be pretty much like was on your BB. Use Exchange and forget IMAP.

LooNTooNs

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So if I fwd AOL and my work email to Gmail, Gmail will push to my phone. Does the email show that it was sent to xxx@aol.com? And when replying, can you reply from AOL rather then Gmail?

joek1971

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Can someone please explain this to me, I had HTC EVO got email instantly then i went over and got Palm Pre had to enable Imap on my GMail Account, and selected the option of get email soon as it arrives, does the iPhone 4 have this option? I am going to be getting the the i4 so I would like to know cause I am a heavy email user. On the Pre it has several different times I can get my email from soon as it arrives to like every hour. Does apple provide these kind of options?

Thanks

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
You have that backwards, Exchange > IMAP. With Exchange you will get your email pushed to your iPhone so it will be pretty much like was on your BB. Use Exchange and forget IMAP.

i switched it to exchange and it works way faster. not exactly instant like bb push but pretty close. the email viewing experience is definitely better. everything looks nicer and easier to view and read; its just not as instant as bb push.

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
is there any app like social feeds on blackberry for iOS? it was so convenient on the berry to just open that and see all the updates from facebook, twitter and bbm in one place.

can you make a backup of your iphone like how u can with desktop manager with berry? so just in case i lose my phone al my emails, contacts etc are backed up. i believe rim even launched a free app called plackberry protect that did it wirelessly.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Can someone please explain this to me, I had HTC EVO got email instantly then i went over and got Palm Pre had to enable Imap on my GMail Account, and selected the option of get email soon as it arrives, does the iPhone 4 have this option? I am going to be getting the the i4 so I would like to know cause I am a heavy email user. On the Pre it has several different times I can get my email from soon as it arrives to like every hour. Does apple provide these kind of options?

Thanks

The EVO is an Android phone so Gmail pushes natively I believe. With the iPhone you want to setup Gmail as an Exchane account which will give you push syncing for email, contacts, and calenders. You could set fetch intervals like on the Pre with IMAP but you can get Exchange for free so there's no reason to even bother with that.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
is there any app like social feeds on blackberry for iOS? it was so convenient on the berry to just open that and see all the updates from facebook, twitter and bbm in one place.

can you make a backup of your iphone like how u can with desktop manager with berry? so just in case i lose my phone al my emails, contacts etc are backed up. i believe rim even launched a free app called plackberry protect that did it wirelessly.

1. Check the app store.

2. When you sync with iTunes the first step is a back up of the iPhone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73