iPhone4 n00b. how to organize photos

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
hey guys. i just recently got an iphone 4. i am trying to transfer photos onto it from my previous phone. i would like to have them in different folders. i realize i couldn't just drag and drop onto iphone so i synced the photos using itunes. however, i can't seem to figure out how to organize them into different folders.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You organize them into folders on your computer, then sync the folders to your iPhone. If you want to switch them around AFTER they are on the phone, you'll have to jailbreak--it's not something you can do with the stock setup.

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
i see. i just wanna confirm. when i put it onto the phone, they all get placed in "photo library" without any folder structure. i want to have different albums rather than just all in photo library. so theres no way to do this natively? is there maybe an app that does it?

i was planning in jailbreaking anyway.

Last edited:

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
i see. i just wanna confirm. when i put it onto the phone, they all get placed in "photo library" without any folder structure. i want to have different albums rather than just all in photo library. so theres no way to do this natively?

i was planning in jailbreaking anyway. is there maybe an app that does this?

wait, i just figured it out. it does create multiple albums, however everything is also bunched together in photo roll.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
The thing is, you can't move a photo into or out of an album on the phone. If you take a picture of your mom, you can't add it to an album called Family--you have to export to your computer, put it in a folder called Family on your computer, then sync that folder back to the phone.

For jailbreakers, PhotoAlbums+ offers a lot of that missing functionality. I think it's been updated to work with at least the 4.3.1 FW.

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
i found this on the normal appstore... anyone ever try it?

i can't post link since i haven't posted 10 times yet. its called "photo-sort"

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
There is an app in the app store called Photo+Folder (ensight media) which is what the stupid iphone photos/gallery app should be. It lets you organize your photos into folders, back them up via wifi, etc. It is .99 and well worth it.

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
i'm still getting accustom to itunes. i'm trying to organize all my music, photos and videos in an easy way so that from here on out as i download them its easy to put into itunes and sync with my iphone. its taking a little while to learn itunes. anyone have a link to a comprehensive guide for itunes?

Hello Kitty

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I actually had the same problem too. I was coming from a blackberry where I was able to do this myself. I put all my photos in folders in my "my photos" and they all pop up!

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
I actually had the same problem too. I was coming from a blackberry where I was able to do this myself. I put all my photos in folders in my "my photos" and they all pop up!

exactly. im finding apple to be a bit too controlling. why can't i just organize it the way i want. even if you do sync it properly where its organized then you can't move pics around on the phone.. ARGH. ohh, and i just learnt that i cant change the ringtone for emails.... why in the world would they not let you do that. oh well, i'll get accustom. but man, it seems like jailbreaking should be mandatory for iOS.

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
As I posted earlier, Photo+Folder (ensight media) from the app store will completely solve this for you... it does a really nice job with organizing photos into folders, allows hidden or password protected folders, and offers wifi access from the PC, just type in the address in your browser and back up all of your pics or just one or two. It is worth the $1 or $2 that it costs....

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
i'm sure i'll end up doing that but its just weird to have to use something other than native photo app.

I agree with you 100%, of all the "smart" things that this phone can do, this is the simplest of tasks and we have NOTHING.... so stupid

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Uh, how many OS's did it take for Apple to get multitasking on the iPhone?? This is not a new problem LOL

Sorry, I guess I was just used to having these basic features in Android. I am an iPhone newb. I can only imagine how long you have been frustrated with this, you just got multi-tasking in iOS less than a year ago, right?

uberspeed

Jan 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Sorry, I guess I was just used to having these basic features in Android. I am an iPhone newb. I can only imagine how long you have been frustrated with this, you just got multi-tasking in iOS less than a year ago, right?

And yet here we are. I used to be a BB user, love the concept of Android and a lot of the things they're doing as an OS but the iphone4 is a very complete handset, tactile wise and industrial design won me over (former design student). I picked one up while awaiting a great Android handset on ATT. Summer 2012 should be a great time to shop for another handset :D

uberspeed

Jan 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
exactly. im finding apple to be a bit too controlling. why can't i just organize it the way i want. even if you do sync it properly where its organized then you can't move pics around on the phone.. ARGH. ohh, and i just learnt that i cant change the ringtone for emails.... why in the world would they not let you do that. oh well, i'll get accustom. but man, it seems like jailbreaking should be mandatory for iOS.

Why yes, without jailbreak I would have not even considered iOS, entirely too restrictive. That said, what it does, it does pretty well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2