Does ATT 3G suck on iPhone or on all ATT phones?

icehead13

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I want to know the answer to this before I seriously consider geeting another phone from ATT or move on to another carrier. I just wonder is the iPhone 4 slow or is ATT network slow. When I had Sprint Evo 4G it was way faster on
3G. Anyone Please?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I average 5 Mbps download and 1.75 Mbps upload speeds with Att on my i4. I would say those 3G speeds are pretty good. Depends on your area

Reactions: icehead13

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
AT&T's data, IMHO, and based on a number of empirical studies, show its 3G network is faster than Sprint's. Now holding a phone call on my AT&T 3GS is a joke, in the Washington DC area, compared to Sprint.

Reactions: icehead13

ajonesma

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Since switching from sprint to AT&T i havent dropped any calls and the 3g isnt as good as I wanted it to be. I average about 1.5mbps download, sprint had way faster on my EVO 4G

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I average 5 Mbps download and 1.75 Mbps upload speeds with Att on my i4. I would say those 3G speeds are pretty good. Depends on your area

In Vegas? Hmm... I thought it was bad there. I think it was CES or something when all the bloggers were commenting on AT&T's "horrible" network.

Last edited:

Rex_Suggs

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
i have an ip4 on att and in memphis tennessee i have never dropped a call on any of my iphones and get 2.69 mbps dl and 1.21 mbps upload i could never switch from att i love it

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I want to know the answer to this before I seriously consider geeting another phone from ATT or move on to another carrier. I just wonder is the iPhone 4 slow or is ATT network slow. When I had Sprint Evo 4G it was way faster on
3G. Anyone Please?

You should be asking your friends and family that live near you about their AT&T service. All carriers have varrying service throughout the country and so while AT&T may be solid in one area (like where I live) they may be very poor in others; such as NYC for example (or at least I hear it's bad there).

AT&T has great service where I live, I average around 2-3000kbps download and 800kbps upload. In my area Verizon tops out around 1500kpbs download.

Last edited:

newiphoneuser

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm fine with my AT&T data as well as voice. I drop calls sometimes but it doesnt annoy me. Data is good where I live, just ran a speed test 2.7 down 1.1 up. Not bad.

I think if you already have a phone that has slow download speeds chances are the iphone will not do so well either. Or perhaps that particular phone has problems, you may want to check the respective community forum.

buggyman

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday I did two tests for download speeds on my Iphone. the two tests were 5.19 and 5.29 down and both were 1.23 up. I came from the Sprint Evo and even on 4g I never got that fast of download. I averaged 2-2.5 downloads on 4g with sprint. So I am very happy with ATT speeds.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
No problem with AT&T in Phoenix, AZ. My iPhone internet speed is faster than my company's hardwired network which I've measured with SpeedTest many times. You couldn't pay me to switch!

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I live in rural Indiana. We are still on Edge believe it or not. I can drive about 3 miles east on my way to Purdue University area and I pick up 3G. Huge difference obviously. ATT is about to convert our tower over to 4G for our area. At home I use wifi. At work here in town the signal is horrible. I am trying to convince management to give me their wifi password in case of severe weather. Tornado season is starting and I need the speed to track the storms. Oh well... we will see.

bellizima

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I talk 3000- 4000 mins a month...hardly ever dropped a damn call with my blackberry bold 9700 in idaho and so cal. My iphone 4 drops calls all the time everywhere. I just use edge now most of the time...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2