Can't restore iPhone 4

poda521

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Had a jailbroken 4.3.1 version.

Tried restoring the phone but I can't even restore to the official 4.3.1. After trying to restore from iTunes, at the end it would just show the iTunes logo + USB plug.

Any suggestions?

poda521

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
WTF? None of you guys can help?

DFU doesn't solve it as every restore just brings me back to the "Connect to iTunes" screen. Phone doesn't show up in iTunes.

Tried re-installing iTunes, that didn't help.
Tried switching USB ports, that didn't help.
Last thing left is to try and restore using 4.2.1.

poda521

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Restoring to 4.2.1 didn't do jack either.

I'm having a hard enough time as it is to get this phone to the DFU screen again and I don't know why.

Now I'm officially out of options other than traveling to an Apple Store

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
People probably aren't helping because (like me) they have no idea how to fix it, lol. I would take it to an Apple Store. They can probably fix it in-store and most likely won't charge you for the services.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yeah. Trying to get it in DFU mode would be the last resort before taking it to an Apple
store. If you can't even get to that then they're going to have to look at it.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like its stuck in a recovery loop? Never experienced it so I'm not exactly sure. Try using Tiny Umbrella to kick it out of recovery?

poda521

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Heading back to the Apple store tomorrow. Had to leave with an appt. because they were backed up till closing.

If they can't fix it, (which I can't imagine how they can considering I've tried everything) will they swap me out for a refurb or a new one?

I would have tried TinyUmbrella (which I found through Google) but the Apple store would be closing in 2 hours so I decided to just go ahead and drive rather than gamble on TinyUmbrella.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
But do you have it with you now? You could try TU tonight. Also make sure you have your hosts file set to look to Apple if you're trying to do an official restore. (Google if needed.)

Also: if you used the iPad baseband to unlock, you can't restore to an official ipsw; you need to use a custom built one or you'll always error out.

Last edited:

WarrenRSV

Banned
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Well I stayed up till the early hours of the morning reading and searching solutions and tried most of them with no luck. Then the last thing before I gave up was to try my other laptop, and guess what...................? It worked!! I installed iTunes on my spare laptop and it restored first time. I was then also able to jailbreak because I was trying on 4.3 and didn't realise the latest jailbreak needs 4.3.1.

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I was having a similar issue when I was jailbroken on 4.2.1. I would attempt a restore on my MacBook Pro and iTunes would fail to restore the device, yet on a Windows computer it would restore perfectly fine.

Long story short I had to end up taking my Mac to an Apple store whee they had to erase the hard drive and do a clean install of Snow Leopard. After that iTunes restored perfectly fine.

Not sure why but I think it may have had something to do with WiFi Sync installed on my computer and jailbroken iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro