Text messaging question

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I have had the iPhone since its launch in 2007 and it was always on AT&T until about two weeks ago. When I sent and received texts they were always one single text no matter how long. Now I get longer texts in parts and my fianc?, who also has an iPhone 4 but on AT&T, gets mine in parts. Anyone know why or is something wrong?

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I have had the iPhone since its launch in 2007 and it was always on AT&T until about two weeks ago. When I sent and received texts they were always one single text no matter how long. Now I get longer texts in parts and my fianc?, who also has an iPhone 4 but on AT&T, gets mine in parts. Anyone know why or is something wrong?

No, nothing is wrong. SMS are usually limited to 160 characters. Verizon breaks up longer texts into 160 characters each and sends them individually over the network. At least the iPhone has the ability to do it natively. I remember one of my old BlackBerrys couldn't do it. It wouldn't let you write past 160 characters unless I had an app.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
No, nothing is wrong. SMS are usually limited to 160 characters. Verizon breaks up longer texts into 160 characters each and sends them individually over the network. At least the iPhone has the ability to do it natively. I remember one of my old BlackBerrys couldn't do it. It wouldn't let you write past 160 characters unless I had an app.

Usually what I see is if you're sending a long text within the same carrier, it'll arrive all as one, but if you send it across carriers, it'll be broken up into about 160 character chunks.

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Not necessarily always true. Mine don't get broken up ever when going over 160. At least not when sending from iPhone to iPhone which is what the OP is doing. Don't know if they get broken up on other phones I'm sending them to or not. Also they may get broken up when sending across different carriers.

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Not necessarily always true. Mine don't get broken up ever when going over 160. At least not when sending from iPhone to iPhone which is what the OP is doing. Don't know if they get broken up on other phones I'm sending them to or not. Also they may get broken up when sending across different carriers.

That's what I was trying to say. On my iPhone, it appears like a huge message (a single bubble) and it will appear as a single message on a Verizon phone (tested with another iPhone 4). But across carrier, it usually breaks it up.

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
That's what I was trying to say. On my iPhone, it appears like a huge message (a single bubble) and it will appear as a single message on a Verizon phone (tested with another iPhone 4). But across carrier, it usually breaks it up.

My bad, guess I misunderstood what you were saying. I though you were saying Verizon breaks them up and delivers them broken up all the time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods