Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version
    Latest

Default Verizon 3G Speeds

I don't know why but I check my 3G speeds quite often. That is why this week when I checked the speed on Sunday I noticed my speed as quite high, very high actually. I normally have between .75 and 1.8 mbs which I thought was pretty normal from what I have read. On Sunday I had speeds between 4.5 and 7.2mps. I didn't even know I could get that speed on the Verizon 3G system. I got my new Verizon Iphone in February. I even have screen shots taken of the tests I took because I didn't think anyone would believe me! LOL How fast are your speeds in your area?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,141 Global Posts

Wow, that's amazing. I pull between .7 mb and 1.5 mb
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by martymapson View Post
    I don't know why but I check my 3G speeds quite often. That is why this week when I checked the speed on Sunday I noticed my speed as quite high, very high actually. I normally have between .75 and 1.8 mbs which I thought was pretty normal from what I have read. On Sunday I had speeds between 4.5 and 7.2mps. I didn't even know I could get that speed on the Verizon 3G system. I got my new Verizon Iphone in February. I even have screen shots taken of the tests I took because I didn't think anyone would believe me! LOL How fast are your speeds in your area?
    Are you sure you weren't connected to wifi when you got those speeds? 7.2Mbps is kinda unlikely for CDMA 3G.
     32gb iPhone 4  13" MacBook Pro 
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,620 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

The iPhone only supports CDMA revision a, which is maxed at 3.6 Mbps I believe. Something isn't right on your end.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

I wish. I am in Warner Robins, 2 hours south of Atlanta and my speed sucks. My download are .3 and uploads usually twice that speed. I have called Verizon several times and they say it is a capacity issue and hope to resolve it soon. I got a meg or better on my droid x and droid. That one point really sours me. I know two other who also have the vzn I4 with similiar results.
    iPhone Beginner

I have never experienced speed of more than .7 on my VZ iPhone ( I live in a large metro area) I am just used to this underperforming speed.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version
    Latest

Quote Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
    The iPhone only supports CDMA revision a, which is maxed at 3.6 Mbps I believe. Something isn't right on your end.
    What could be wrong? That's the big question. I did not have wifi on. In fact my household wifi account tops out at 3mbs. Actually, on Monday the readings were back to normal for the most part. Of course i checked again on Tuesday and they were back up again. Some areas were lower than others. At first I thought Verizon was doing some sort of tests or something and this was all temporary. But like you stated, I was pretty sure that the bandwidth on Verizon's CDMA network tops out just a bit over 3mbs. I use the 'my 3G speed' app. I just checked it a few minutes ago in my home and got 7.51mbs speed. Plus, everything IS loading at a super fast rate compared to before. Right now I'm very happy for the speed, I Dont know how long it is going to last but I sure would love to know what is behind this mystery.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,141 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by martymapson View Post
    What could be wrong? That's the big question. I did not have wifi on. In fact my household wifi account tops out at 3mbs. Actually, on Monday the readings were back to normal for the most part. Of course i checked again on Tuesday and they were back up again. Some areas were lower than others. At first I thought Verizon was doing some sort of tests or something and this was all temporary. But like you stated, I was pretty sure that the bandwidth on Verizon's CDMA network tops out just a bit over 3mbs. I use the 'my 3G speed' app. I just checked it a few minutes ago in my home and got 7.51mbs speed. Plus, everything IS loading at a super fast rate compared to before. Right now I'm very happy for the speed, I Dont know how long it is going to last but I sure would love to know what is behind this mystery.
    Try downloading the Speedtest.net app. It would also depend on the serve you're pinging. What's your ping? I usually have a ping around 200-400 and normal speeds are .5 - 1.5 mbps. I would say it's the app not reading speeds correctly.
    Follow me on Instagram @therealmarkhunsaker
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

All these speedtest applications are very subjective and there is no way to tell if they are legit or correct.

I suggest you base your speed on your experience and real world performance not some app that may or may not be true.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,709 Global Posts

That almost sounds like 4G speeds
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,920 Global Posts

hit speedtest.net from your browser. It's much more accurate than the app itself.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I got 88 KBPS on mobilespeedtest.com, pretty awful
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    2,090 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by HellKatzX View Post
    I got 88 KBPS on mobilespeedtest.com, pretty awful
    88 kbps? That's pretty terrible. That's what I get on EDGE (I'm unlocked on T-Mobile).
    Nokia Lumia 900, iPad 1 16GB WiFi
    Twitter
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,709 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
    hit speedtest.net from your browser. It's much more accurate than the app itself.
    Not to burst your bubble but when you go to speedtest.net on an iOS browser it redirects you to the appstore and to the speedtest.net app
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
    It always redirects me to the AppStore.
    GoldDust and PlatinumRed... Now on Cydia!
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

The performance issue are what got me started looking into it. Youtube videos take forever. This is my only negative buts its a big one.