Personal Hotspot Data/Bandwidth Usage

Tekoo

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Got the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 Wifi. Got Wifi only because I have Personal Hotspot active on my iPhone 4 with a sufficient 1.5GB monthly bandwidth from my carrier.

Now, I downloaded this free Utility app called called DropCopy which allows you to wirelessly transfer (via local WiFi) Files between/among iOS and OSX devices.

So I flipped Hotspot on and was able to wirelessly transfer a photo taken with my iPhone 4 (the same one providing the WiFi signal) to my iPad 2!! (Glad I didn't buy the camera kit).

**Now to my question. Does using my iPhone 4 Hotspot for local WiFi file transfers bite in my monthly bandwidth allocation?**

Hope you guys get I mean. I always thought that local WiFi usage such as AirPlay, Home Sharing etc only used my home WiFi signal as a link and not my actual Internet connection and cap provided by my ISP. Am I right?

Thanks for the help provided. ;)

Tekoo

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply and you are most likely right. :)

I tried sending a 40sec video via the same method (it compressed the vid) and it transferred 8.5MB in a blink and my carrier never had and never will be that fast!! Yay, wireless photo transfers for free!!

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Just a side note, If you are looking for an easier way to transfer simple files between the two devices without all the tethering, Dropbox is great for that.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods