Seeing 1X (little circle: o) all the time at home

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It just makes me wonder if Verizon is full of inconsistencies like this with the data signal (and hence is not a very good carrier for data.)

So now since you have bad reception areas at your home, all of a sudden the entire verizon network is inconsistent and is garbage for data.

They are the ones who said "rule the air" and access data over a larger 3g footprint as compared to the competition.... not me. :)

You may need to study the English language if you think the statement "access data over a larger 3g footprint as compared to the competition" means that you will have 3G data every single place you go. All it means is that you can access data over a larger 3g footprint as compared to the competition. So verizon has bad reception at your house, big deal, move on. Change carriers if your not happy, no need to create some thread complaining about it and making the assumption that the entire Verizon must suck everywhere.

whsingleton

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Why the nasty response?

Why so nasty in your response? Look...

You may need to study the English language.

So verizon has bad reception at your house, big deal, move on..

Change carriers if your not happy, no need to create some thread complaining about it and making the assumption that the entire Verizon must suck everywhere.

Dude, just trying to have a conversation. I'm having fun conversing. That's what the message base is for. I'll do what I need to do regardless of where the conversation leads. I don't understand why people get nasty in their tone on these message boards. This is just a fun conversation for me to pass some time; I just simply don't understand the bravado when people are anonymous over the internet.

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not gonna change the way I talk to avoid hurting your feelings. I said what I meant, You were completely misinterpreting something Verizon said. If your experience with Verizon sucks, go to a different network that works where you live. It doesn't mean the whole network sucks, same goes with any other carrier. And to avoid any hurt feelings, have one of these:)

whsingleton

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Ok

I'm not gonna change the way I talk to avoid hurting your feelings. I said what I meant, If your experience with Verizon sucks, go to a different network that works where you live. It doesn't mean the whole network sucks, same goes with any other carrier. And to avoid any hurt feelings, have one of these:)

Haha, I was thinking the same thing; in that I'm not going to censor anything I post just to make sure I please everyone either. But enough of that, your point is that "your mileage may vary". That I get. Are you on VZW, btw? If so, what is your city and how is VZW vs. AT&T there?

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Haha, I was thinking the same thing; in that I'm not going to censor anything I post just to make sure I please everyone either. But enough of that, your point is that "your mileage may vary". That I get. Are you on VZW, btw? If so, what is your city and how is VZW vs. AT&T there?

Yes I am currently on Verizon and it works great where I live and almost every area that I go with the exception of a few very rural areas that have dead zones with every carrier I've been with. The reason I choose Verizon over AT&T is that where I live AT&T coverage is complete garbage with nothing but EDGE almost everywhere. As well as they are currently expanding in the area to the very many areas that don't even have coverage by AT&T at all. But, if the coverage was decent here with AT&T and they offered unlimited data I would have actually considered them.

whsingleton

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes I am currently on Verizon and it works great where I live and almost every area that I go with the exception of a few very rural areas that have dead zones with every carrier I've been with. The reason I choose Verizon over AT&T is that where I live AT&T coverage is complete garbage with nothing but EDGE almost everywhere. As well as they are currently expanding in the area to the very many areas that don't even have coverage by AT&T at all. But, if the coverage was decent here with AT&T and they offered unlimited data I would have actually considered them.

Ok, sounds like you are in an area with no AT&T 3G. Just out of curiosity, you wouldn't know how fast the Edge is there on a speed test, would you?

What I think I'm really looking forward to is to see where VZW takes LTE... this will be nationwide on 700mhz spectrum, which is very nice. I have no doubt that they are going to try to hit their entire 3G footprint with LTE.

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, sounds like you are in an area with no AT&T 3G. Just out of curiosity, you wouldn't know how fast the Edge is there on a speed test, would you?

What I think I'm really looking forward to is to see where VZW takes LTE... this will be nationwide on 700mhz spectrum, which is very nice. I have no doubt that they are going to try to hit their entire 3G footprint with LTE.

I have no idea about the actual speed, I just know that people I know who have had AT&T always complain about how slow their phone is when they are here.

Also I believe that Verizon wants to have their LTE nationwide by the end of 2013. I would also assume like you, that this would cover their entire current 3G network.

Another thing that I personally see as a plus with Verizon over AT&T, is that they seem to take the initiative to move forward and expand without waiting for the competition to force them into it to stay comparable. Whereas AT&T seems to kinda lag behind a little and take forever to implement certain things. Maybe this is more so In my area where AT&T doesn't even have 3G coverage available, yet Verizon has annouced that LTE will be available in the very near are by the end of this year.

whsingleton

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Strange change here...

Last night, the problem did not happen at all. I had nothing to do, so I surfed a whole hour on my iPhone and did not get the little 1x circle a single time. Before, it would happen within a minute or 2. We'll see if the problem comes back.

whsingleton

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Happening again!!

After about 2 days of thinking the problem was resolved, it is back! My 3G is dropping out again randomly at home even though I have 4 bars!

I've decided to ditch Verizon and go back to AT&T. I have a couple of problems with Verizon:

a) This one.

b) As soon as I got Verizon, I keep telling my wife on the phone that 'I can't hear her'. Voice quality never as good as I want it. Never had this problem on AT&T.

c) Just pissed that the VZW iPhone did not get 4.3 yet.

And if you don't agree with me and don't like my post, please don't post anything nasty to 'hurt my feelings'. Ha ha ha! My feelings are like a dainty flower and are greatly affected by people on computer message boards! Ha ha.

later... thread done.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I actually went through all of this myself. I live in Central, Louisiana and when Verizon got the iPhone I decided to give them a try. I didn't port my number over though because I was honestly unsure of their coverage and heard good-bad reports. Around my office and home the coverage was actually pretty good with Verizon. I did notice their 3G wasn't as fast as AT&T's 3G. This became pretty evident right off the bat. Then I started traveling in areas where I've always had service with AT&T. Low and behold for 32 miles going west of my city there was absolutely NO signal. I was astonished. Then another day I traveled south and for about 28 miles I would get 1 bar, searching, no service, 1X, expanded. But I had no internet and actually couldn't make a call. YES, I tried!

Needless to say in those same areas my AT&T iPhone 4 always had a signal of 2 bars or more. I did hit like one area traveling south where it lost the signal momentarily, but came back.

The next day I traveled North and I noticed in an area about 12 miles that AT&T had no service and Verizon had 2 or 3 bars. I was well okay... this is tit for tat.

Now to make a long story short after a good solid 10 days of testing, I ended up returning the Verizon iPhone 4 and discontinuing the service. Unfortunately I travel a great deal west and south of the city. The good news is that AT&T recently bought out a local regional carrier and in the process the FCC made them diverse of a few markets. Most of those markets are south of the city and AT&T sold them to Verizon. So that should improve Verizon at some point going south. The real deal is though they have no real plan at this point except for a long term one to add towers to provide service west of our city.

Right now AT&T provides a really good level of service in the city and in the rural areas I travel. Ultimately that is the ONLY thing one should consider. I am sure Verizon is better than AT&T in other markets, but not this one. I can live with a 12 mile stretch going north of the city, since I rarely travel that way.

On the main highways and interstates though I'd say AT&T and Verizon are comparable. Though there were areas where AT&T only had Edge and Verizon may have had 3G. I think it is true that Verizon has the larges 3G network, big deal if you don't have coverage and signal where you live and work the most.

Last edited:

bigtankusa1

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Here is how to fix your problem you go to settings then general then network and where it ask to join other networks turn that off and your iphone will stay on 3g network while your at home......

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro