Seeing 1X (little circle: o) all the time at home

whsingleton

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Anyone else have a location-specific fallback to 1X? I only get this at home. When I had an AT&T iPhone, I didn't get this. 3G seems Ok everywhere else, though. However, since 3G is on a higher frequency than voice, it doesn't achieve the same kind of building penetration--and I have noticed this.

Thinking about dumping this Verizon iPhone and moving back to an AT&T iPhone. I can't seem to "rule the air". I didn't move away from AT&T just to get the Verizon iPhone--I tried out Droid and it is nowhere near as good as the iPhone.... however when the iPhone came to Verizon I bought it thinking I would just stay with that carrier.

However, I really don't think it is as good for data. Voice on Verizon is great... however, I'm mostly a data user. You can get good voice on AT&T everwhere if you just switch to Edge anyway.

joekawasaki

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried *228 option 2? Maybe that would help. It seemed to help in an area close to mine where I would switch back to 1x and now I get 3G.

whsingleton

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes, *228 and all of that

Yes, I do the *228. I even do the *228 and reboot just to be certain, although I think it is not necessary. There are times at home (seems rare, though) that I get solid 3G. I have a feeling that tower congestion on CDMA is causing the cell range to shrink resulting in a weaker signal at my distance from the tower.

I'm not feeling the whole Verizon thing right now. *228 feels like a "hack" to me. Anyway, I understand why people want Verizon, however I'm in the Philly burbs and if you look at the AT&T coverage map, that area is big with 3G. Never had a problem with it.

whsingleton

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Of course I have wifi @ home

Yes, wifi is available at home. However, I had an AT&T iPhone (iPhone 3G, iPhone 4) over the course of a couple of years and never found a place that had a problem like this. Because of this problem at home, I wonder if this is a weakness of Verizon. Hence, my little rant about not being able to "rule the air". I could switch on wifi at home, but now I'm wondering if I'm likely to see this signal weakness occur at other places when it will not be convienent.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, wifi is available at home. However, I had an AT&T iPhone (iPhone 3G, iPhone 4) over the course of a couple of years and never found a place that had a problem like this. Because of this problem at home, I wonder if this is a weakness of Verizon. Hence, my little rant about not being able to "rule the air". I could switch on wifi at home, but now I'm wondering if I'm likely to see this signal weakness occur at other places when it will not be convienent.

Well nobody is perfect, not even Verizon.

And what you were saying about signal penetration, so if you go outside your home, you get 3G back?

whsingleton

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Signal

And what you were saying about signal penetration, so if you go outside your home, you get 3G back?

I want to test this... the 1X comes and goes and sometimes will stick around for a while (and other times will quickly come and go in the same minute.) I would have to stand outside and surf the web or something for a while to test this in order to see if I get 1X outside. I can't have it switch to 1X and then go outside and see it switch back to 3G and have that be a definitive test since I have no way of knowing if it would have switched back to 3G regardless.

This all sounds obsessive and silly, I know....

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I want to test this... the 1X comes and goes and sometimes will stick around for a while (and other times will quickly come and go in the same minute.) I would have to stand outside and surf the web or something for a while to test this in order to see if I get 1X outside. I can't have it switch to 1X and then go outside and see it switch back to 3G and have that be a definitive test since I have no way of knowing if it would have switched back to 3G regardless.

This all sounds obsessive and silly, I know....

Sounds like a really weak 3G signal. That's what my BlackBerry would do in classrooms. When I walked inside, it generally went to EDGE, but if I searched for networks, sometimes I could find the 3G tower and I would switch to it, but eventually it would go back down to EDGE again.

And if I went back outside, sometimes it would take a few minutes before picking up on the 3G signal.

dndrich

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

Well, why worry about that? Of course there will be areas with 3G weakness. That is the nature of current cell technology and local conditions. iPhone does such a good job of managing wifi connections that I leave it on all the time. It does not affect battery life because it goes off by screen state, and logs on immediately. There is no reason to turn it off like on other phones. Apple did a very good job with this. Just use wifi at home and be happy!

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Try turning on your Data Roaming and see if the "o" goes away and the 3G comes back. I was having the same problem and tech had me turn that on and it fixed that issue for me.

Setting>General>Network>Data Roaming

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Well, why worry about that? Of course there will be areas with 3G weakness. That is the nature of current cell technology and local conditions. iPhone does such a good job of managing wifi connections that I leave it on all the time. It does not affect battery life because it goes off by screen state, and logs on immediately. There is no reason to turn it off like on other phones. Apple did a very good job with this. Just use wifi at home and be happy!
+1 Agreed 100%!
There will always be areas where one carrier may be stronger while the other is weaker, but at home when you have WiFi available it should be a non issue..

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
+1 Agreed 100%!
There will always be areas where one carrier may be stronger while the other is weaker, but at home when you have WiFi available it should be a non issue..

What if the power goes out or the cable? Now you are stuck with a weak 2G network at your house when you are paying for 3G service.

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
What if the power goes out or the cable? Now you are stuck with a weak 2G network at your house when you are paying for 3G service.
Of course your paying for it, we all pay for it, boy do we, but the fact still remains that in some areas that may include your home a signal may be weak when another carrier is strong.

I always suggest you try out a phone on both networks, pay close attention to your signal strength in the coverage areas that you frequent most often, including your home, choose the carrier that has a strong signal in those areas, whichever carrier it may be.

ATT coverage in our city of 100,000+ is weak and the coastline coverage is non-existent, so I choose Verizon.

whsingleton

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Try turning on your Data Roaming and see if the "o" goes away and the 3G comes back. I was having the same problem and tech had me turn that on and it fixed that issue for me.

Setting>General>Network>Data Roaming

Actually, I had this on for a while after reading an earlier thread that you were involved in. Thank you, this is a great tip. I think some people posted some information that the carrier file update that was pushed out a couple of weeks ago might make this no longer necessary, however I do not know for sure... therefore, I have left my data roaming turned ON.

whsingleton

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Of course your paying for it, we all pay for it, boy do we, but the fact still remains that in some areas that may include your home a signal may be weak when another carrier is strong.

See, that's the thing... my voice signal *is* strong. It is just the data that is weak at home. It is not so much that I am troubled by the weak data signal (because I can just turn on wifi, as has been discussed in this thread), it is the __inconsistency__ here. It just makes me wonder if Verizon is full of inconsistencies like this with the data signal (and hence is not a very good carrier for data.)

They are the ones who said "rule the air" and access data over a larger 3g footprint as compared to the competition.... not me. :)