"It's just like the iPhone"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have heard this quote so many times. In fact I probably said it myself when I bought my Droid early last year. Now that I have the iPhone I know better. As a Verizon customer who wanted to stick with Verizon I didn't have the option to get an iPhone last year. What I don't understand is if you are looking for something "like the iPhone" this year, why not get the iPhone? I'm not saying that phones like the Thunderbolt are not nice phones. They are and I looked at them quite a bit. If you want Android then I understand buying one. Everybody has your their own preferences. If you are looking for the iPhone experience why not get the iPhone though now that it is available. That is the question that I asked myself that led me to my decision.

I'm just wondering if everyone hears this a lot and what you think when you hear it.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have heard this quote so many times. In fact I probably said it myself when I bought my Droid early last year. Now that I have the iPhone I know better. As a Verizon customer who wanted to stick with Verizon I didn't have the option to get an iPhone last year. What I don't understand is if you are looking for something "like the iPhone" this year, why not get the iPhone? I'm not saying that phones like the Thunderbolt are not nice phones. They are and I looked at them quite a bit. If you want Android then I understand buying one. Everybody has your their own preferences. If you are looking for the iPhone experience why not get the iPhone though now that it is available. That is the question that I asked myself that led me to my decision.

I'm just wondering if everyone hears this a lot and what you think when you hear it.

Lol, reminds me of people who download themes or customize their phone to make it look like the lock and/or home screen of another device.

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
DISCLAIMER: To those who own/like Lexus or Infiniti cars, please do not take this the wrong way, no offense intended. :)

This is the same as those who drive Lexus/Infiniti cars and constantly feel the need to point out that their cars have all the performance and luxury features that a Mercedes or BMW does. To which the MB/BMW owners always respond, "yes, the performance or features may be similar, however it's not a Mercedes or BMW."

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
DISCLAIMER: To those who own/like Lexus or Infiniti cars, please do not take this the wrong way, no offense intended. :)

This is the same as those who drive Lexus/Infiniti cars and constantly feel the need to point out that their cars have all the performance and luxury features that a Mercedes or BMW does. To which the MB/BMW owners always respond, "yes, the performance or features may be similar, however it's not a Mercedes or BMW."

Lexus and Infiniti make nice cars, but from what I've heard, BMW is a driver's car. Which is what I would get... if I could afford one :p

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
What I don't understand is if you are looking for something "like the iPhone" this year, why not get the iPhone?

Because people do not want to be locked down by the death grip of Steve jobs, but they still like the look and fell. I know there are android users who place applacation shortcuts on their home screens to mock the iPhone.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Because people do not want to be locked down by the death grip of Steve jobs, but they still like the look and fell. I know there are android users who place applacation shortcuts on their home screens to mock the iPhone.

Right, sometimes its the hardware too. Some people like a hardware keyboard, a larger screen, or a user replaceable battery.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Right, sometimes its the hardware too. Some people like a hardware keyboard, a larger screen, or a user replaceable battery.

Those are good examples actually. I do know someone who absolutely has to have a hardware keyboard and has had an original Droid and now the Droid 2 because of the keyboard.

It seems to me that more of it has to do with something against Apple or Steve Jobs than anything. It's funny though, most people that I hear complain about Apple or Jobs are just rehashing what someone else said and not their own opinion. If you ask them to explain why they feel that way about Apple most people can't explain it. Just funny how people refer to iPhone owners as sheep and yet those same people follow the anti-iPhone crowd blindly. Obviously this is not true about everyone, but a lot of people.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I like iPhones and many of the Androids. I'm using my Droid X over my iPhone because I like the notifications and customization of my Droid. I have absolutely NOTHING against iPhones, they are absolutely beautiful and incredible pieces of electronics, they just aren't what I want right this second...however, I just don't get all this talk about battery life. My DX makes it from 8:00 a.m. until midnight with charge left to spare, and could make it probably until lunch the next day. I'm a heavy user, so much so that it annoys the living hell out of my fiance. And no, I don't have all this crap turned off. Everything is rolling all day long, widgets, data, etc. I just don't get why people NEED a phone to last 472 hours on one charge. Are all of you people on a trek through the desert, or what? I'm at least relatively close to an outlet at all times when I'm sleeping. What is there to stop you from plugging in your phone at night? Is it that big of a deal? Even if I was using my iPhone and it had 75% left at the end of the night, I'd still plop it into the charging cradle at night.

Just my $0.02.

tdubfire

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I too am a Verizon customer who waited ever so patiently for the iPhone and I must say after having owned one now for about a month I am ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH THIS PHONE! I was at one time a Apple antagonist. I really didn't see what all the hype was about there products and why their customers were so loyal to the brand... Now I know why. I use to own a WM phone. (shudder). Almost everything about that OS was designed to emulate the iPhone experience. I didn't see that before. And, no disrespect to Android users, but I see the same thing with a lot of their phones as well. I used to think that customization was important to me. I realize now that it was very time consuming and many times very frustrating. I would flash a new ROM almost every month or apply some new tweak just to bog my phone down or cause some other problem that required another ROM update or tweak. I don't have to deal with that anymore. All I can say to all those who are reading this post and getting irritated with my gushy rant and yelling at me through their phones right now is, Unless you own one, it is hard to really and truly appreciate why we who do feel that they are far superior devices than most anything out there on the market.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I like iPhones and many of the Androids. I'm using my Droid X over my iPhone because I like the notifications and customization of my Droid. I have absolutely NOTHING against iPhones, they are absolutely beautiful and incredible pieces of electronics, they just aren't what I want right this second...however, I just don't get all this talk about battery life. My DX makes it from 8:00 a.m. until midnight with charge left to spare, and could make it probably until lunch the next day. I'm a heavy user, so much so that it annoys the living hell out of my fiance. And no, I don't have all this crap turned off. Everything is rolling all day long, widgets, data, etc. I just don't get why people NEED a phone to last 472 hours on one charge. Are all of you people on a trek through the desert, or what? I'm at least relatively close to an outlet at all times when I'm sleeping. What is there to stop you from plugging in your phone at night? Is it that big of a deal? Even if I was using my iPhone and it had 75% left at the end of the night, I'd still plop it into the charging cradle at night.

Just my $0.02.

and thats the thing. I charge my phone each night. I unpluged my phone at 8am this morning. Its 12:36pm. I'm like at 80% now? I have auto brightness on as well as GPS. Its still kicking. by 4pm I bet you would be close to 50% and by the time I need to charge it will be at 25% or maybe more then that.

Now there is no denying that Apple has better battery life, but if you don't own a droid then why comment on battery life? Because what you read on the internet?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
and thats the thing. I charge my phone each night. I unpluged my phone at 8am this morning. Its 12:36pm. I'm like at 80% now? I have auto brightness on as well as GPS. Its still kicking. by 4pm I bet you would be close to 50% and by the time I need to charge it will be at 25% or maybe more then that.

Now there is no denying that Apple has better battery life, but if you don't own a droid then why comment on battery life? Because what you read on the internet?

I totally agree that Apple has better battery life. That's a given. But as you said above, you also don't have a removable battery that can be replaced if in an emergency, or even if an update (such as 4.3) screws up the battery life. And the Android phones that get a bad rap for battery life are the HTC 4G capable devices. And who knows what's going to happen to the iPhone's battery when it's 4G capable? I sure don't have any clue. Will it probably be better than the Evo's? I bet it will. Will it be lightyears ahead of the Android 4G phones that are out at the same time as a 4G iPhone? Who knows?

All I'm saying is, if your battery lasts all day, then where is the real argument about battery life? Regardless of how much battery I have, I charge at night and am fully loaded by the time I leave for work in the AM. My DX doesn't die during the day, I don't spot charge it, and I use it for an MP3 player at the gym. As I said above, I love iPhones, and obviously I love Android phones. I use iTunes and have an iPod Classic (4th iPod that I've had) that stores all my music, movies, etc. So please don't think I'm bashing anything Apple or iPhone...they get a good chunk of my money, too. I'm just saying, the battery life argument is kinda weak. There are other legit reasons and factors that each platform has a 1-up on each other.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm just saying, the battery life argument is kinda weak.

The thing is, some Androids are better than others. For many Android users, battery life is a legitimate argument. My friend's Evo barely makes it 8 hours before he has to charge it. That is a legitimate concern. Other Androids can go days... it all depends on the phone. Every iPhone has a great battery life (with the exception of random duds).

Altimate

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I say the one thing (big thing) iPhones have over android is the easy backup. Plug into iTunes and you have a backup... That easy. Android... Yah they have removable storage but it doesn't get everything.

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Lexus and Infiniti make nice cars, but from what I've heard, BMW is a driver's car. Which is what I would get... if I could afford one :p

Don't bother. I've had BMW and currently have an Infiniti. Will never get another BMW. Infiniti will blow the doors off of the BMW, will cost 10k less, and you will actually get great service at the dealership. BMW service is the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR