App for someone with Speach aphasia

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I have speech aphasia and am looking for a app that will help me communicate with people better. txting is difficult at times and people get frustrated with me while I'm trying to talk with them.

I'm not sure what would help, my dr suggested that maybe I see if there's any apps for people with this problem for the iphone. He's not too tech savvy, I tried to search on google for it but haven't found anything.

Thanks

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't have an iPad and don't see getting one for another month and then even then it's only going to be the iPad 1 with WiFi.

Thanks.

mcentreville

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
It's expensive $$$, but Proloquo2go* is used in a lot of classrooms and schools, and has rec'd really high marks both from users and speech therapists. It's been recommended for our 4 year with childhood apraxia of speech (we just bought the iPad and eventually the iPhone, so will have it installed on both).

*can't post the link because I'm not up to 10 posts yet :( but if you google it you should find the company info and demos.

Reactions: audit

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, I'm also going to give Assistive Chat a shot, The creators of Verbally recommended it to me and from what I've seen so far, it should be good enough for me to use until we get an iPad and then I'll look at the one you mentioned. $189 isn't much to keep my wife from going crazy trying to understand what I say.

mcentreville

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I'm also going to give Assistive Chat a shot, The creators of Verbally recommended it to me and from what I've seen so far, it should be good enough for me to use until we get an iPad and then I'll look at the one you mentioned. $189 isn't much to keep my wife from going crazy trying to understand what I say.

Compared to a DynaVox, which is thousands of dollars and is a "uni-tasker," the iphone/ipad/ipod route seems to make a lot more sense. My wife just attended an assistive technology conference and it's amazing how much the iphone/ipad/ipod are being used. It's our primary reason for switching over from Android since there's nothing equivalent over there. Depending upon how our 4 yr old does, and if the budget allows, we may eventually throw in an ipod touch for more portability for her. Best of luck to you!

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, this is the result of too many MMA fights. I should've quit when my Dr warned me to but I wanted the title and then retire. My wife's wanted the iPad WiFi for awhile now since all she does is surf the net, watch youtube and email. Nothing else really so I don't see any reason to share my primary laptop with her if I can get that for her other then to sync up her music/apps and then the IOS upgrade.

Downloading Assistive Chat now to iTunes and then will sync when it's done to see how it works.

IntuaryAjay

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi from Verbally

Hi All,

I know I'm a bit late to the discussion, but I'm part of the team that built Verbally. If you have any questions about it, let me know.

You definitely don't need internet access to use Verbally. But, it is only for the iPad.

I've tried a number of the available solutions on the iPhone/iTouch, and I think the two to check out are SpeakIt & Assistive Chat. SpeakIt is only $1.99. It doesn't offer a broad range of features, but it makes it pretty easy to store phrases & tap a Play button to repeat them anytime. Assistive Chat does that but also provides word prediction for on-the-fly communication.

I still prefer the design we put together for the iPad ;) but I think those are some pretty good options on the smaller devices.

Best of luck,
Ajay

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
Assistive Chat has been working great for me since I installed it last week, My wife and kids spent a couple hours setting up the common things I say and questions I normally have for them. They also spoke to a couple people from work and they explained to my wife/kids what I'm doing most of the time and what would be good to have on the favorites. So far it's worked out great for me and I've only had to manually enter a couple times.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73