UPDATED: 3G data usage

d0ster

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Well it's been about a month and a half since some of us early birds got our ViP, whats your 3G usage at now? I'm currently at 10.2 GB, no access to wi-fi at the moment, bill cycle on the 24th. I wonder if I'll be getting throttled.

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
WOW! Most likely. I have wifi access, but rarely use it. I browse and download apps...3 email accounts pushing all the time and I'm under 2 GB still. Although, when I stream Netflix, I go on wifi for better quality picture. What are you doing that you hit 10 GBs? That seems like an awful lot of data...tethering?

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
In all honesty, if you have zero access to wifi and lack home Internet bc it isn't available in any other form than dial, it's not hard to run through 10GB legitimately without even tethering. My first month when I used Netflix and pandora nonstop and downloaded apps like a madman I hit 10GB by the end of my billing cycle.

Also, what are your thoughts on what AT&T is doing in regards to tethering!?!?

I think it is absurd!!! For the last time, carriers need to cancel the contracts of the users who hit 50GB+ a month and just go from there. See how bandwidth congestion improves that way instead of saying give us $50 per month or go @$!& yourself! Yes I know tethering by other means is not allowed but it is robbery to charge what carriers do for 2 f'ing gigs. I'm seriously considering writing a long letter to whatever government officials I need to and I urge all others to do the same.

On that note, president Obama is all for Internet expansion and for some, like me, my phone is all I have for Internet and I am maxed to the limit on what I can spend on a phone. we have dial up here and that is that. This basically means that if Verizon does this, I no longer have Internet outside of my cell phone unless I suddenly make more money or drive to a place and use their free Internet. A cellphone can do a lot but not everything a pc can. No need to ramble further but Obama and all others who see the importance of Internet access these days would frown upon what wireless carriers are doing to more unfortunate people who have no other choice in Internet options. This has got to end bc carriers are taking everything away from some of us. This is truly sad. Data does NOT cost that much!!!! Sadly it will take millions to make this point to the people who can help but I feel that AT&T just helped that movement get started after their actions.

I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way or is the only one without wifi as some people make it seem lol.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
In all honesty, if you have zero access to wifi and lack home Internet bc it isn't available in any other form than dial, it's not hard to run through 10GB legitimately without even tethering. My first month when I used Netflix and pandora nonstop and downloaded apps like a madman I hit 10GB by the end of my billing cycle.

Also, what are your thoughts on what AT&T is doing in regards to tethering!?!?

I think it is absurd!!! For the last time, carriers need to cancel the contracts of the users who hit 50GB+ a month and just go from there. See how bandwidth congestion improves that way instead of saying give us $50 per month or go @$!& yourself! Yes I know tethering by other means is not allowed but it is robbery to charge what carriers do for 2 f'ing gigs. I'm seriously considering writing a long letter to whatever government officials I need to and I urge all others to do the same.

On that note, president Obama is all for Internet expansion and for some, like me, my phone is all I have for Internet and I am maxed to the limit on what I can spend on a phone. we have dial up here and that is that. This basically means that if Verizon does this, I no longer have Internet outside of my cell phone unless I suddenly make more money or drive to a place and use their free Internet. A cellphone can do a lot but not everything a pc can. No need to ramble further but Obama and all others who see the importance of Internet access these days would frown upon what wireless carriers are doing to more unfortunate people who have no other choice in Internet options. This has got to end bc carriers are taking everything away from some of us. This is truly sad. Data does NOT cost that much!!!! Sadly it will take millions to make this point to the people who can help but I feel that AT&T just helped that movement get started after their actions.

I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way or is the only one without wifi as some people make it seem lol.

Wow, you're passionate on this subject, huh? ;)

It's not robbery because it's an item you make the choice to purchase. The De Beers have hoards of diamonds locked up so they can jack up the prices of the diamonds they choose to have on the market. If you want a diamond, you accept the price you have to pay to get it, no matter whether you think it's fair or not. And just because it's not fair doesn't make it right to steal a diamond, either.

Having Internet is not a human right. It's not taking away from you if the companies decide to defend their ToS. The prices and plans are the prices and plans, period. If you want it, you pay for it like everyone else. I know it sounds harsh, but it's the plain truth and I'm really not trying to sound harsh, I promise :) we (my family) pays $250 a month on our plan because we have decided we want the features. We have had to sacrifice our land line and lowered our channel options in order to afford it, but it's a sacrifice we're willing to make because we want what Verizon has to offer.

Plus, it's not all about the money. AT&T had an unreliable network in many areas that has a hard enough time handling all of the iPhones on it. With the ruling that Jailbreaking is legal, the masses tethering through apps like MyWi are probably suffocating the company. They are charging for tethering as a deterrent as much as to make money.

On topic, I have used just over 2 Gigs and I've had my iPhone for two weeks XD. I also am on WiFi like 75% of the time... SOOO yeah. This phone makes it really easy to churn through the data :D

d0ster

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
WOW! Most likely. I have wifi access, but rarely use it. I browse and download apps...3 email accounts pushing all the time and I'm under 2 GB still. Although, when I stream Netflix, I go on wifi for better quality picture. What are you doing that you hit 10 GBs? That seems like an awful lot of data...tethering?

No tethering here. Just some Netflix movies, YouTube videos, and Slacker radio. I was suprised too because within the two weeks of my bill cycle ending when I first got the phone, my usage was at 2GB and I figured I would average about 4GB a month, but to jump to 10GB and using it about the same rate is a little odd. Also, I reset my Usage meters at the beginning of my bill cycle so I could gauge how much data I was using.

_YoKolorMeBadd

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Its funny though because I just got mine on Saturday and I'm already at 1GB. I use wifi most of the time because I'm always at home. Should I be gong towards 1GB of data in 4-5 days? Is that even possible?

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

vangordernick

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Im confused, on the iphone verizon doesnt offer unlimited? I was on an unlimited with my droid and they never said anything about it not being unlimited when i upgraded. Or was it for new customers?

Jon Seals

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
always on wifi at home, some traveling, 588mb sent, 4.3gb recieved, had it since the 14th of february. thank god for unlimited data.

d0ster

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Im confused, on the iphone verizon doesnt offer unlimited? I was on an unlimited with my droid and they never said anything about it not being unlimited when i upgraded. Or was it for new customers?

Yes the data plan is "unlimited" per se but if you are in the top 5 or 10 percent (dont remember which) Verizon will throttle your data for your remaining bill cycle and the next. They implemented this with the release of the iphone.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes the data plan is "unlimited" per se but if you are in the top 5 or 10 percent (dont remember which) Verizon will throttle your data for your remaining bill cycle and the next. They implemented this with the release of the iphone.

It's 5% and doesn't make any sense. It's basically the opisite of a pyramid scheme. Say this month the cut off is 10GB's. Next month people will use less to not be throttled. Now we are down to 9.5GB's. Next month a bit lower and so on until no one can use hardly any data. The policy is idiotic and whoever thought of it should be fired. Make it a hard number and be done with it like T-Mobile. 5GB's at full speed and throttled after that. That I could live with. 5GB's is a fair number.

d0ster

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Wow. What a stupid policy. I pay for unlimited, not 5-10gbs.

:Applause: but it is what it is. I'm also curious when/if I re-new my contract, if my unlimited plan will be grandfathered in. I know that when I worked for Cingular a few years ago, if the customer had a specific plan they could keep it as long as they dont change it(once removed on the system, cant get it back because its no longer offered), even if they re-newed their contract.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I am slightly lower now. The first month was about 4GB, this month, with 3days to go, just hit 2GB. Only on wifi at home, 3G at work. Stream audio a couple hours a day, occasionally stream Netflix.

I agree that a percentage is moronic. Because there will always be a top 5%, even if those top are only using 1GB of data. Last week when I was having slow speeds, I called. It seems it was them working on our towers (prepping for 4G rollout "this spring") and me needing to update my PRL. The rep on the phone said no, I was not being throttled, as that was my first thought.

d0ster

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. As of right now, my speeds are still normal with 3 days to go on my bill cycle. Although I have been noticing mpre and more 3G keeps timing out and I have to put t into airplane mode for a few seconds.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW