Battery % Off VS On

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I am a recent Blackberry to Iphone converter and there is a few things I miss about the Blackberry but there is far more I like about the Iphone. I have been messing with settings and adjusting to all things Apple and have noticed or at least I swear I have noticed that if I leave my battery percentage display off the battery lasts longer!! I have been using it for about a week with it on and about 5 days now with it off and same usage usually about 10 emails and 200 or so text messages a day and between 30-45 mins of talk time. I start my day at 8AM and with the percentage on by 4PM I would see around 45% left now with if off I can go all the way to 6PM before the icon is near that level, maybe the icon and the percentage displays slightly differently but I think it makes sense that it would make some difference as the percentage display is going to always be reading the battery level and adjusting the display accordingly. Am I crazy or did I just find the easiest way to squeeze just a hair more life out of my phone? I also will say that although I am adjusting to the process I would love to be able to just USB the phone to the PC and send files to it like the Blackberry, Itunes is a really stupid middle step to me.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
it's not in his head... anything being turned "on" effects battery power. the amount of battery is utilizes is pretty small, but depending on your brightness, it could be more.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
This is just a different representation of a process that is already running so it is not using any more battery power. The amount of power it takes to turn on those extra dozen or so pixels to display the percentage is negligable.

Reactions: AZMerf

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
What you need is an iPhone with a battery like my iPad I get almost a month on each charge :D

img0071.png

LOL I love JB it allows so much customization

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
it's not in his head... anything being turned "on" effects battery power. the amount of battery is utilizes is pretty small, but depending on your brightness, it could be more.

You really think him leaving his battery percentage on, can cause him to see noticeable difference? I mean I understand your brightness example, but he's talking about seeing a big difference based on the battery meter being on. :confused:

Reactions: anon(52425)

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Actually it doesn't. Your phone is constantly monitoring the remaining battery level regardless of whether or not you have the percentage displayed, This is why it knows when your battery is at 20% and gives you a warning and then again at 10%. All your doing by turning on the percentage display is telling your phone to share what information it is already monitoring, with you. This doesn't turn on any specific process in the background that would use any extra battery power.

Last edited:

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
You really think him leaving his battery percentage on, can cause him to see noticeable difference? I mean I understand your brightness example, but he's talking about seeing a big difference based on the battery meter being on. :confused:

I am not seeing a big difference, nothing that is going to make me not have to charge every night but I do notice I get about 1.5-2 hours more with the same kind of usage my phone is also only a week old so the battery in all fairness may just be settling in and balancing itself out as well but I thought for what it was worth I would let everyone know what I have seen with the % display turned off. I am running my brightness around 45% and just found out I can use the phone with my cars radio so whenever I am driving its plugged in and charging now so the display on or off really wont make a difference now that I charge it while I drive!

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I have what i call grade syndrom. I am so used to associating %s with grades. So when my battery is lower than 60 I start to panic ha ha ha. But I realize, shoot I can do what I've already done again without charging. I know I can easily make it through a single day on a charge. I can stretch it to two.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox