Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Expert

775 Posts

Default 3G speeds drastically increased on my 3GS total of 1MBPS increase

I've always kinda been a random 3g speed tester on my phone with the SpeedTest app. For about a year now on 3G. About once or twice a month I check to see how its performing. Today I did a test on my iphone 3gs in Chattanooga, TN on Speedtest. All tests are through the same location since the beginning. Today March 14, 2011 I got a 2.40 MBPS download and .22 mbps upload. WOW. I mean wow. Anybody that knows would fate on that kind of speed. This phone since July 2009 in my city on AT&T's 3g has never gotten a download speed over 2.00 MBPS. All tests month after month after month have been 1.70 to 1.75 MBPS. But to recieve a 2.40 I was like damn. Today also the upload speed was the highest ever too. Multiple tests have returned the same results. Again all tests were from same area and from same location from speedtest app.

So did AT&T improve towers or the service in recent times? New software from Apple? Cause this isn't a fluke. I'm like wow do I even need a iphone4, lol

iMore Elite

2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,455 Global Posts

The 3GS supports up to 7.2Mbps down, so it's just AT&T turning up their network.

Lately on my iPhone 4 I've been averaging 3.5Mbps down and 1Mbps up through AT&T.