Tiny Scratch on Camera Lens... Should I worry?

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I take very good care of my phone. It sits on my desk, or is in my pants pocket all the time. There is nothing else in the pocket, it is my dedicated "phone pocket". The other day while looking at the back of my phone, I noticed a small hairline scratch on the camera lens. While it doesn't show up in my photos, I am now wondering if I should be worried about this and start using a case? I hate cases and really don't want to use one, but I also don't want to ruin my camera.

Has anyone else experienced this and has it been a problem for you? Also, if something happens and I get another worse scratch on my camera lens, can they fix it at the apple store? And how much does it cost? Just trying to avoid using a case if possible. I might be worrying about nothing here, but I have no insurance on my phone (I think $11/mo is ridiculous).

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
If it doesnt affect your pics, I dont see the worry. By you setting your phone on your desk or taking it in and out of your pants pocket could easily over time cause scratches

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
If it doesnt affect your pics, I dont see the worry. By you setting your phone on your desk or taking it in and out of your pants pocket could easily over time cause scratches

I guess it is the fact that I've only had the phone for a month that makes me worry. How bad will I scratch it up in 6 months? Oh well, I'm still not putting a case on it. I would rather take it to apple and spend $50 to have it fixed if need be than put a case on the phone....

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
The scratch shouldn't do anything to picture quality. And besides, you technically(i believe) didnt scratch the lens, but the housing protecting the glass....either way, scratch on the camera "area" should cause no distortion in photos....

Here's a fun link to view a great photo that was taken with a shattered lens, you'll be fine...it's just the housing you scratched.

LensRentals.com - Front Element Scratches

Last edited:
Reactions: anon(52425)

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
The scratch shouldn't do anything to picture quality. And besides, you technically(i believe) didnt scratch the lens, but the housing protecting the glass....either way, scratch on the camera "area" should cause no distortion in photos....

Here's a fun link to view a great photo that was taken with a shattered lens, you'll be fine...it's just the housing you scratched.

LensRentals.com - Front Element Scratches

Nice link, thanks for the replies. I'm trying to not let my OCD get the best of me, but I guess I did buy a phone made of glass, what should I expect?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234