Black "smudge" on screen when using camera

AKA

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys/gals,

I am a week and half into using my new ViP and all of a sudden when using the native camera app and the camera+ app, there is a very distinct black smudge on the left part of the screen. Its about a 1/4" in diameter. It shows up in the captured pictures as well, not just when the app is active. Lens is spotless, no scratches, dust, etc.

It is not dead pixels on the screen.

Thoughts...?

photo.JPG

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Gonna have to say I have never seen that before on any iPhone model. I would do a retsore in iTunes and if that doesnt help, get it swapped

P@t

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
It's something on the lens. Smudge or damage to the glass possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKA

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
There is nothing on the lens, there is also no damage.

Here's an interseting observation...so I was messing around and testing different lighting conditions. In the dark room that I was in with the computer, where only the monitor is the main light source, I was pointing the camera just off to the right of the monitor, the "smudge" would be over the bright screen and guess what, there was nothing! I figured it would easliy show on the bright white screen but it didnt. Then I would aim it back towards the screen so it was in the middle of the shot, and it reappears! Just this morning, testing it in my bright office setting the smudge is clearly present. I think it has something to do with the sensor...craziness.

I made an appt at my local Apple store, lets see what the experts think.

AKA

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Well I had my appt tonight...I'm using a brand new phone! The genius that helped me was awesome. She explained everything, ran some checks, took it in the back, and 5 min later I had a new phone. They had never seen my issue in any of their phones, weird. Thank you Apple, for the great customer service.