A way to silence text alerts during phone calls?

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Howdy all!

I was talking on my iPhone tonight and a text message came in. It was so loud and scared the crap out of me (I almost dropped the phone). Is there a way to turn that feature off?

I not only searched the forums, but I Google'd it and still can't find an answer!

Thanks for the help!

mikesa_tx

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I thought that it automatically vibrated when you are on a call. I never heard the incoming text sound when I am on the phone it always vibrated.

JNHohol

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I didn't realize that Verizon phones could receive texts while on a call?!?:D I kid of course. As you know, there is no way unless you silence your iPhone.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I didn't realize that Verizon phones could receive texts while on a call?!?:D I kid of course. As you know, there is no way unless you silence your iPhone.

The way I understand how CDMA works - the phones use a control channel and a voice channel - and text messages make use of the control channel, which is active while on a voice call, thus making receiving a text message while on a call possible.

iReese

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
The way I understand how CDMA works - the phones use a control channel and a voice channel - and text messages make use of the control channel, which is active while on a voice call, thus making receiving a text message while on a call possible.
i know this forum is old, but same thing happen to me on iphone 5 Sept/2012. its not the CDMA i think its the GSM that does it specifically ATT but it could be caused by CDMA what do i know, lol. all i do know is every iphone comes with a CDMA and GSM radio. Verizon and Sprint uses CDMA. AT&T, and prepaid services uses GSM. i think ATT is the only that can use both radios hence talk n surf at same time. anyway after all this rambling i still dont know how to stop that ringing on call when receiving a text. whewww