Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    897 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default A way to silence text alerts during phone calls?

Howdy all!

I was talking on my iPhone tonight and a text message came in. It was so loud and scared the crap out of me (I almost dropped the phone). Is there a way to turn that feature off?

I not only searched the forums, but I Google'd it and still can't find an answer!

Thanks for the help!
    iPhone Intermediate

While on the phone you can Flip the switch for the ringer on to vibrate.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

I thought that it automatically vibrated when you are on a call. I never heard the incoming text sound when I am on the phone it always vibrated.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikesa_tx View Post
    I thought that it automatically vibrated when you are on a call. I never heard the incoming text sound when I am on the phone it always vibrated.
    Mine vibrates and makes the noise over the caller.
    ---
    Happy user of a ViP5 that *works* on America's Largest & Most Reliable Network!!
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by ericsmcdonald View Post
    Mine vibrates and makes the noise over the caller.
    Hmmmmm, that could get annoying.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    4.3.4/5.0

I didn't realize that Verizon phones could receive texts while on a call?!? I kid of course. As you know, there is no way unless you silence your iPhone.
    Twitter @JNHohol

Global Posts
    11,882 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by JNHohol View Post
    I didn't realize that Verizon phones could receive texts while on a call?!? I kid of course. As you know, there is no way unless you silence your iPhone.
    The way I understand how CDMA works - the phones use a control channel and a voice channel - and text messages make use of the control channel, which is active while on a voice call, thus making receiving a text message while on a call possible.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    The way I understand how CDMA works - the phones use a control channel and a voice channel - and text messages make use of the control channel, which is active while on a voice call, thus making receiving a text message while on a call possible.
    i know this forum is old, but same thing happen to me on iphone 5 Sept/2012. its not the CDMA i think its the GSM that does it specifically ATT but it could be caused by CDMA what do i know, lol. all i do know is every iphone comes with a CDMA and GSM radio. Verizon and Sprint uses CDMA. AT&T, and prepaid services uses GSM. i think ATT is the only that can use both radios hence talk n surf at same time. anyway after all this rambling i still dont know how to stop that ringing on call when receiving a text. whewww
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Default A way to silence text alerts during phone calls?

It's very annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk