Is my phone unlocked? iPhone 4

ed116

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, im firstly id like to say hello :) , secondly, i had an iphone 4 locked to bell, went to the apple store, and got it replaced because it was having wifi issues, the guy there gave me a new one, but it was already activated, in canada i am with fido was going to wait for the unlock, but yesterday i tried putting in my fido card, and i get full service. I tried putting in a non-active bell card, and in the carrier settings it says Bell 9.0 same for fido when i put it in it says Fido 9.0 does this mean the the phone is unlocked? so if i upgrade OS to 4.3 will it remain unlocked?

Also the model version is MC318LL and i was reading but that says "locked" apparantly!! Let me know :) and then you very much!

JNHohol

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm...did you get a receipt when they replaced it? That would have the model number on it as well. It seems weird that you would get one that wasn't linked to a carrier. Like you said that model shows it's an Apple locked 16 GB black iPhone 4.

I am in the US and have am locked to AT&T but I had my iPhone replaced in Calgary over Christmas. During the activation process, they relocked it to AT&T. I was hoping to maybe sneak my way into an unlocked model. :)

If it is a hard unlock, it should remain, but I know there is an activation process when restoring, so it could possibly lock on the iOS update. Call Apple support and tell them your story. They are usually pretty helpful and you are not trying to do anything wrong. You could tell them you purchased an off contract, unlocked model and wanted to confirm it won't lock to Bell. They can't remotely lock your iPhone and if it is going to lock during the iOS update, it's only a matter of time before you will have to update anyway.

ed116

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
hey thanks for the quick reply, i actually called apple saying that i b ought it factory unlocked and they said the new iOS might lock it. the guy i was speaking with seemed like he had no experience what so ever.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Is it JBen? it can't be unlocked by software without being JBen. If it's not JBen then it seems to be unlocked. I have a factory unlocked i4, I have put in my Fido as well as friend's Rogers and Telus and they all work. If you put each SIM in and you're able to make calls then it's unlocked. What I would do is take a screenshot of it on your current SIM working. Then do the upgrade and if it gets locked to Bell then take it in and ask why that happend? They would prob swap it out for a Fido model. I doubt the firmware could lock it, I've heard of earlier cases when the Apple store activated unlocked phones during the process the phone became locked to the SIM's network. This is during activation though nothing to do with firmware. If you're really worried then upgrade using a custom firmware from pwnage tool which would leave the phone unlockable anyway. Let us know what happens?

ed116

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey ipheuria, thanks for the reply, but i think i will wait until a unlock from JB community is available before i upgrade, secondly, the phone has never been jailbroken got it 1 day before, and the guy at the apple store opened th replacement model infront of me, and gave me the phone, it had already been on, so im thinking either it was unlocked just for the first time, or the guy at the apple store forgot to activate it on bell and lock it on to it. hopefully its factory unlocked, because im out of a contract, on a month-month basis so if i want to switch i have the option, also when updates come i dont have to find a specific microsim -.-.

and yeah i got the phone on tuesday, from the app store, so the phone has never been jailbroken. its on 4.2.1

packhack

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, im firstly id like to say hello :) , secondly, i had an iphone 4 locked to bell, went to the apple store, and got it replaced because it was having wifi issues, the guy there gave me a new one, but it was already activated, in canada i am with fido was going to wait for the unlock, but yesterday i tried putting in my fido card, and i get full service. I tried putting in a non-active bell card, and in the carrier settings it says Bell 9.0 same for fido when i put it in it says Fido 9.0 does this mean the the phone is unlocked? so if i upgrade OS to 4.3 will it remain unlocked?

Also the model version is MC318LL and i was reading but that says "locked" apparantly!! Let me know :) and then you very much!

I LOVE THE IPAD VERY MUCH,BUT I HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY
:mad:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Hey ipheuria, thanks for the reply, but i think i will wait until a unlock from JB community is available before i upgrade, secondly, the phone has never been jailbroken got it 1 day before, and the guy at the apple store opened th replacement model infront of me, and gave me the phone, it had already been on, so im thinking either it was unlocked just for the first time, or the guy at the apple store forgot to activate it on bell and lock it on to it. hopefully its factory unlocked, because im out of a contract, on a month-month basis so if i want to switch i have the option, also when updates come i dont have to find a specific microsim -.-.

and yeah i got the phone on tuesday, from the app store, so the phone has never been jailbroken. its on 4.2.1

What I meant by asking if it's JBen is it can't be software unlocked without being Jailbroken. Your idea sounds good about it not being locked to a carrier upon activation but if that was the case it should have locked to Fido once you activated your SIM. So if you can still use other SIMs and it works it sounds to me like it's unlocked. Well good luck I hope it really is unlocked :D

Reactions: ed116