iPhone Growth Still Stagnate

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Not surprising considering the wide range of Android phones and prices as well as the fact that Android is on every carrier. Apple for better or worse will probably be #2 in terms of sales and market share, but that doesn't mean that they won't be #1 in terms of revenue. Really it's all about profits and I don't see Apple loosing that for the next 5 years. The funny thing about fanboys is that they make all of this a competition, but if you ask them to define winning, they can't. Really it's all about trying to make themselves feel better/cooler/etc about their purchase. This is true for all the OSs not just iOS, Android.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The Verizon numbers will help since they said it was their most successful launch ever. However with th iPhone 5 just around the corner Verizon users are I'm sure waiting. I never beleive those charts and things because I found a chart that shows the percentage and Apple and RIM were actually ahead because of the fact they are they're own hardware manufacturer. Eventually it will have to plateau but then there is a younger generation who have already been taugh to use the iPhone and iPad so these ar future customers.

Pimp Lucious

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Actually if you look at the Neilson numbers, more younger users are using Andoid than iOS. Apple being the most profitable means absolutey nothing to me as long as Android smartphones manufacturers are making profit, and they are making plenty this of course spurs new, more powerful, feature rich handsets are released frequently to meet demand. That of course drives Apple to innovate in order to keep up. More important than that is that developers can not ignore the sheer number of Android devices even if the iOS app market is more mature and easier to make profit on. I remember hearing that the iphone 4 launch last year was supposed to be the thing to stunt Andoid growth. Guess they really meant iPhone 5, on Verizon. As far as defining winning, Apple and Apple users use to define it in terms of marketshare, until it no longer looked like they would win marketshare. Notice how Steve spouts off about iPad marketshare, and got all pissy last year on the conference call over Android activations? Guess it's important only when you can tout it.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I've never once heard Steve say that product iX is going to stop sales of someone else's product.

It was bound to happen that Android passes iPhone in sales. No surprise here.

Profit may mean nothing to you, but to Steve and his share holders that is all that matters. Winning.

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Android: Dozens upon dozens of different handsets, available on every carrier, starting at $0 and BOGO offers.

iPhone: 2 models available on 2 carriers, starting at $99.

Nobody with a brain actually thought iPhone (in its current incarnation) would best Android in sales. Think about it, we are comparing one new phone a year from one manufacturer to a dozen manufacturers who crank out as many new phones as they possibly can.

The interesting thing though, is that Android still is not a great development platform. While their market is slowly improving, Android users are still much less likely to spend money, and that of course drives developers to the App Store.

So, while market share is very important for development, I don't think it is really helping Android get more / better apps yet.

If you're just making it a competition based on sales, which is pointless, go ahead.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site

So one game eh? Also, when Android manufacturers do buy one get one free or offer free Android handsets with a contract on some bottom feeder local carrier, of course numbers will grow. Everyone loves free stuff. As for me, I choose to stay with a company that offers timely updates, less fragmentation and a closed wall that does the best it can to limit malware.

Hail Caesar

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
there is one simple reason why android has larger base, its just an open operating system that is used on tons of hardware. apple keeps it tight and to themselves, to give us the best experience. thats why i will always stick with apple on all products.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Some of those new high end android devices look very appealing. Would love to be in the room @ apple when they discuss their strategy for staying ahead.

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Regardless of the actual stats, Apple ain't doing bad right now. 1 in 4 phones were iPhones in the last three months. Devs won't leave a platform where a quarter of America sits.

Plus, those comScore numbers don't include iPod touch or iPad sales either, which offer further incentives for developers.

Pimp Lucious

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Some of those new high end android devices look very appealing. Would love to be in the room @ apple when they discuss their strategy for staying ahead.

When I went into the Verizon store it was HTC Thunderbolt central, from the windows to the walls to the employees. Seeing as how the Thunderbolt is still basically last year's technology, imagine what it will be like when the next-gen Android 4G phones start dropping, especially if Apple is sitting most if not all of the year out.

mlaz14

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't get why people love to look at sales data. I know marketshare and # of users is important for attracting developers but unless your a shareholder in one of these companies, I don't know why you'd care about devices sold or activations.

Luke

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
. apple keeps it tight and to themselves, to give us the best experience. thats why i will always stick with apple on all products.

Amen to that! This is my reason. Quality quality quality. The same company doing the software and hardware engineering. Can't beat that. Now Microsoft is trying to do something similar with their leash on WP7 hardware. Let the games begin!

I don't get why people love to look at sales data. I know marketshare and # of users is important for attracting developers but unless your a shareholder in one of these companies, I don't know why you'd care about devices sold or activations.

As stated earlier here or read in another thread, people want to be on a winning team. That's all. People want to be proud of the products they own as it's a misassocistion that it represents them. Brand identity.

If we look at Apple's growth, it's been steady and upward trending. They could release their iOS devices everywhere and at the same time, but that would halt the slow and steady growth. I admire Apple's foresight on this. They are looking to always beat the last quarters profits and appear like an all magical, indefeatable juggernaut. They are slow to expand, and rightly so. Android is everywhere, like the PC was. Thats not their bag.

They'll grow on their terms. Slowly and surely, like with their stores in China and the CDMA iPhone launching on the largest carrier in the world, if I'm not mistaken.

Apple is in it to win long term. They don't need to be #1 in marketshare, only in mindshare. They'll win in the end, on many levels.

Pimp Lucious

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Steve throwing his ridiculous looking Android tantrum last September during the conference call then releasing a CDMA iPhone on Verizon in the middle of the iPhone 4 cycle speaks a bit differently. Androids rapid rise to dominance has Steve and Apple shook. Steve is the first to tout sales numbers when they are in Apple's favor. Mindshare and marketshare matters.

Steve Jobs circa 2008: "We sold more phones than RIM"

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
there is one simple reason why android has larger base, its just an open operating system that is used on tons of hardware.

Not to mention Android is available on every carrier with several models on each one made by several different manufacturers. Of course it will have a larger base then the iPhone which until recently was only available one 1 U.S. carrier.

Luke

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
recently was only available one 1 U.S. carrier.

Exactly. In terms of US marketshare, they've done phenomenally while only being on AT&T. Unfortunately, savvy consumers on Verizon will snatch up iPhone's only when the 5th generation shows up.

Apple's chilling and wants to slowly grow to keep those quarterly results looking more "amazing" than the last. They're like every company, looking to grow profits and make more $$. They're the second largest company by market cap the US (after Exxon Mobile, having beaten Microsoft and Walmart last year) and have over $50B in cash and investments. Luckily, they care about their customer experience because they get that without customers or by ticking them off, you have no business.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen