Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

Default How to move pictures to a different album?

Is there any way to move pictures to a different album? I don't like having my dowloaded wallpapers and pictures grouped together with my camera roll pictures.
    Verizon iphone 4 jailbroken
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

You have to manage your photos from the pc/Mac.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

O, how? When I'm plugged into my computer, I open itunes and I don't see any way to manage them. Thanks.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

Are you using a Mac or PC? Where do you sync your photos to and/or from on your computer? If your using a Mac your photos are in iPhoto, you manage your albums from iPhoto..
    Live, Laugh, Love and then there's...Apple!
    "It Just Works!"
    iPhone 5 32GB | iMac | MacBook Pro | iPad WiFi 32GB | Apple TV 2 | AirPort Extreme
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CalifJewls View Post
    Are you using a Mac or PC? Where do you sync your photos to and/or from on your computer? If your using a Mac your photos are in iPhoto, you manage your albums from iPhoto..
    Using a pc, windows vista. I only sync'd my photos once when I first plugged in my iphone for the first time. I have too many pictures on my computer to sync them all. Can I just create a new folder for my iphone called downloads? This should be much more simple.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

Yes you can, I created a folder in iPhoto (my photo program on my Mac) I drag and drop photos I want on my iPhone into this folder and sync that folder through iTunes..

When you have your iPhone plugged into your computer, go to iTunes, highlight the name of your iPhone in the left side column under devices, click photos in the top bar, place a checkmark next to the album you would like to sync to your iPhone and click "sync"...now this album is on your iPhone.

This is what it looks like on my iPhone..
    "It Just Works!"
    iPhone 5 32GB | iMac | MacBook Pro | iPad WiFi 32GB | Apple TV 2 | AirPort Extreme
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

Yes you can, I created a folder in iPhoto (my photo program on my Mac) I drag and drop photos I want on my iPhone into this folder and sync that folder through iTunes..

When you have your iPhone plugged into your computer, go to iTunes, highlight the name of your iPhone in the left side column under devices, click photos in the top bar, place a checkmark next to the album you would like to sync to your iPhone and click "sync"...now this album is on your iPhone.

This is what it looks like on my iPhone..
    First off, thanks. Secondly, I don't think I really know how to use iTunes right. I did what you suggested, and it did sync the photos I wanted into that new folder I created. Then it removed ALL of my other previously sync'd photos. So now it's optimizing around 1000 pictures. Which takes forever. Not to say you're explaining it wrong, I just think I'm not getting how to use itunes.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts

No your right on track..

On a track to confusion.

Photos and Iphone are like oil and water, when you check the sync photos with iphoto it removes your photos on the phone.

I have struggled with this... posted a million times and have not gotten anywhere.

I cant understand why this is so complex but it has been the root of many threads in here.

I just use image capture to take photos off the iphone directly into a folder.

As far as managing or adding photos.... good luck
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1_A406

Quote Originally Posted by Bugeyeblue View Post
    Is there any way to move pictures to a different album? I don't like having my dowloaded wallpapers and pictures grouped together with my camera roll pictures.
    Verizon iphone 4 jailbroken
    Get PhotoAlbums+ in cydia. Allows you to create and move pictures from the camera roll to folders on the fly from your phone.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by krs7272 View Post
    Get PhotoAlbums+ in cydia. Allows you to create and move pictures from the camera roll to folders on the fly from your phone.
    Thanks. I'm pretty sure that was what I was looking for. Can't believe it's $5 to do something so simple.
    iPhone Elite

Global Posts
    2,485 Global Posts

It's because photo management in iOS is so damn primitive. I'm glad I honestly don't give a crap about photos other than my camera roll, cause if I did I would absolutely have to switch to android or webos.

I really don't understand why they can't allow on-device album creation and editing. Even if it's because they are keeping the heirarchy identical to your PC, there are things they can do through programming to make sure your on-device management is not affected.

Playlist sync always deletes my new on-device playlists though and apple doesn't seem to care about that either. So annoying.
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version
    iOS 6

For as nice as the iPhone as iOS is, thats how bad iTunes is.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by isuquinndog View Post
    For as nice as the iPhone as iOS is, thats how bad iTunes is.
    Thank you...that is how I feel about iTunes. Coming from a BB I'm loving this phone but have always hated iTunes.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

It's pretty simple if your using a Mac, not as easy with a PC, I'm gathering? I haven't used a PC in years..I'm beyond rusty..
    "It Just Works!"

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS7.1b5

Quote Originally Posted by krs7272 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugeyeblue View Post
    Thanks. I'm pretty sure that was what I was looking for. Can't believe it's $5 to do something so simple.
    So worth it. I have been using it since it was released and I love being able to manage my photos without using iTunes.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1_A406

Quote Originally Posted by bamf-hacker View Post
    So worth it. I have been using it since it was released and I love being able to manage my photos without using iTunes.
    +1 one of the best apps I have paid for.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

It's pretty simple if your using a Mac, not as easy with a PC, I'm gathering? I haven't used a PC in years..I'm beyond rusty..
    Actually it's much easier on the pc. Far more intuitive.
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Actually it's much easier on the pc. Far more intuitive.
    Could you give us a little more info?
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    442 Global Posts

I agree that photo management should be possible from the iPhone without computer sync . . but it's also pretty simple to do on a PC:

http://forum.tipb.com/verizon-iphone...rs-photos.html
    iPhone Nanite

Default About pictures

you can make new albums on just your phone with the iphone4s but you can only copy your photo to the new album soa copy still stays in your camera roll album