Verizon's "carrier update" available

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Just noticed something today:

If you go to "settings > about", you'll get a pop up notification that a "carrier update" is available with an option to "update now or later". I'm not sure what this is (maybe someone can shed a little light on this update), but when updated, the "carrier" is updated to "Verizon 10.1"

Whatever the update was, it's a pretty small file. It updated almost instantly on wifi.

Last edited:

boogaloo1

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
After selecting "update", did you get any sort of notification that the update was successfully complete? I did not get any alert it was complete.

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
No. I just noticed that "carrier" updated to "Verizon 10.1" from 9.something. .
Ditto!
IMG_0173.png

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
It's network settings, things like sms & mms configurations for example. Maybe it's to try to address some of the SMS & MMS issues Verizon iPhone users have been experiencing .

WyckedAnkh

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I did it - does not seem to screw up jailbreak - I thought it might be a PRL update - but my prl has not changed.

My ERI changed, not sure if it was changed before but I thought about that too. My ERI was 5 and now it's 6 though I have no idea what difference that will do.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
My ERI changed, not sure if it was changed before but I thought about that too. My ERI was 5 and now it's 6 though I have no idea what difference that will do.

I think my ERI changed too... and, after a little searching - here's what ERI means for those who don't know...

Enhanced Roaming Indicator.

A handset/PRL feature to indicate to a participating customer whether they are on a home system, a partner network, or a foreign (roaming) network. ERI capable handsets, when loaded with the proper software and PRL, will illustrate the home or roam condition using a banner with text on the handset display. While many phones can indicate home vs. roaming via an icon, ERI phones can clearly indicate the third "partner network" status, which may carry a different rate schedule.

Last edited:

johnwag

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I can also confirm it did NOT seem to affect my jailbreak. My carrier also went from 9 to 10.1, only took about 2 seconds to install. Once it was in, I even rebooted to be sure, but jailbroken apps, Cydia store, etc all still work fine.

anon(4712533)

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
About carrier settings updates in iTunes
or
iOS 4: About over-the-air carrier settings updates

Carrier settings updates are small files (about 10k) that are downloaded from iTunes to be installed on your iPhone or iPad Wi-Fi + 3G. The carrier settings can include updates to the default APN (how the device accesses the carrier's cellular data network). The carrier settings for iPhone also include special dialing codes at Settings > Phone > [Carrier] Services, default settings for Stocks, Maps, Weather, and other items. You should install the latest carrier settings updates for your device as soon as they are available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frenzytom

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711