Thoughts from an Android Fanboy.

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
For starters I am going to start by saying have owned 2 Android phones in my life (OG Droid, and HTC Incredible) and absolutely loved them. I got big into rooting and flashing ROMs. I always shunned the iPhone because after owning an iPod touch I just wasnt that impressed with it. However I have had an upgrade for quite some time, and I have another coming up so I decided it was time to use one, wanting something different I bought the iPhone.

After putting it through the ringer for the past few days I can honestly say it is a fantastic device. I was worried about losing swype, widgets and the notification bar. But I do not miss them at all. I jailbroke my device and put lockscreen on and its great. I also like the iPhone notification system how it just pops up on the device. Its not the best but its certainly manageable. I own a macbook so the seamless integration is also fantastic. Battery life is better, the screen is beautiful, and best of all everything just works. That was my biggest knock on Android is that because there were so many different OS versions out there (1.6, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.3.3, 2.4) I would get FCs alot. But not once with the iPhone.

Very happy with the switch, now if only I can have custom tones for different things (facebook, sms, e-mail) the phone would be almost perfect lol.

Reactions: donald.aleshire

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
For starters I am going to start by saying have owned 2 Android phones in my life (OG Droid, and HTC Incredible) and absolutely loved them. I got big into rooting and flashing ROMs. I always shunned the iPhone because after owning an iPod touch I just wasnt that impressed with it. However I have had an upgrade for quite some time, and I have another coming up so I decided it was time to use one, wanting something different I bought the iPhone.

After putting it through the ringer for the past few days I can honestly say it is a fantastic device. I was worried about losing swype, widgets and the notification bar. But I do not miss them at all. I jailbroke my device and put lockscreen on and its great. I also like the iPhone notification system how it just pops up on the device. Its not the best but its certainly manageable. I own a macbook so the seamless integration is also fantastic. Battery life is better, the screen is beautiful, and best of all everything just works. That was my biggest knock on Android is that because there were so many different OS versions out there (1.6, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.3.3, 2.4) I would get FCs alot. But not once with the iPhone.

Very happy with the switch, now if only I can have custom tones for different things (facebook, sms, e-mail) the phone would be almost perfect lol.

I'd like to echo your comments right down to the two droids that I owned. I'm planning on jailbreaking my iphone tonight so I can have free wireless tether.

andrewu750

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I have never had a droid but have used my sisters quite a bit and like it but I do think that the iPhone is a nicer device. The screen is by far the best looking screen out there

Reactions: shipwrestler125

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've played with my sister's Droid Incredible and my girlfriend's HTC MyTouch and i can honestly say that as far as the actual touchscreen, they are no where near as responsive at the iPhone's touchscreen. You really have to mess around with droids and get used to them in order to master the touchscreen, but when you put an iPhone in front of a Droid user, they wish the droid can be as responsive as the iPhone.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

Heather_S

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
While not experiencing any of the negatives you mention on my Droids (OG Droid and DX) i was wanting to give a different device a whirl, so i got the ip4. And it is a very beautiful device. It does some things very well..

I on the other hand sorely miss my notifications and status bar immensely, and i am still getting used to the smaller screen and no swype. As well as being able to use any music on the device as a ring tone. Something i am amazed the iphone does not do. being as it is heralded as being best at integrating music into your life and telephone experience and all.

I can't say for certain that i will stay with this device for two years or not, but i am having fun with it for now. It is indeed a cute fun phone. I have not found it to be a full replacement for my DX yet, but i am new and hopefully i can find ways to make up for it's short comings.

Just my thoughts

H

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
In my stint with the DX I became a heavy ROM/root degenerate too. I just found myself
being WAY to into it. Too damn much. From the moment it became apparent the i4 would
be available to Verizon it was ironically a sigh of relief seeing as I loved the customization
on my DX. I look past the ****ty notification system on iOS but am almost positive it will
be improved in iOS 5.

I also have no desire to jailbreak. When I jailbroke my previous iPhones in the past, I found
myself piece mealing things together. I like the phone as is, even though it has some room
for improvements.

Heather_S

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
In my stint with the DX I became a heavy ROM/root degenerate too. I just found myself
being WAY to into it. Too damn much. From the moment it became apparent the i4 would
be available to Verizon it was ironically a sigh of relief seeing as I loved the customization
on my DX. I look past the ****ty notification system on iOS but am almost positive it will
be improved in iOS 5.

I also have no desire to jailbreak. When I jailbroke my previous iPhones in the past, I found
myself piece mealing things together. I like the phone as is, even though it has some room
for improvements.

I agree, i loved the ROOT/ROM aspect. but tried the ip4 for its simplicity in function.. And i also wont JB, no interest. I just felt that by this stage apple should be offering these things out of the box that have been available lesser phones for ages. Seems counterproductive..

Well i will keep plugging along and keep asking questions.

H

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
While not experiencing any of the negatives you mention on my Droids (OG Droid and DX) i was wanting to give a different device a whirl, so i got the ip4. And it is a very beautiful device. It does some things very well..

I on the other hand sorely miss my notifications and status bar immensely, and i am still getting used to the smaller screen and no swype. As well as being able to use any music on the device as a ring tone. Something i am amazed the iphone does not do. being as it is heralded as being best at integrating music into your life and telephone experience and all.

I can't say for certain that i will stay with this device for two years or not, but i am having fun with it for now. It is indeed a cute fun phone. I have not found it to be a full replacement for my DX yet, but i am new and hopefully i can find ways to make up for it's short comings.

Just my thoughts

H

I bet if I had a fascinate or DX I would miss the bigger screen but the difference from DInc to iP4 isnt a big deal. But I can see how you would miss the extra room for sure. As for ringtones there are plenty of apps that let you use your music as ringtones :)

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I came from the DX, and don't miss the larger screen at all. I actually didn't love the larger screen. I thought 4.3 was a little too big. I think 4 would be perfect. I there are things that I love about the droid that the iPhone doesn't do, but overall I am much more happy with the iPhone. Someone on the first page said something that I agree with 100%, and that is the droids have too much customization I was constantly changing things around cut really took up too much time. I did jailbreak, but only for a few things. Themes are not one of them. I had my fill with bb and droid. Lol. One thing miss most about my droid is the t9 input. It was so much easier. Also custom dictionary. WTF let me add my own words.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I JB to tether my iPad at work. But then I discovered biteSMS and lockinfo. So JB was worth it for me. And it still runs buttery smooth. I even have the HTC clock/weather widget on my lock screen and home screen. I am very very very happy with my Verizon iPhone :)

ulnek

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I was worried about losing swype, widgets and the notification bar. But I do not miss them at all. I jailbroke my device and put lockscreen on and its great. I also like the iPhone notification system how it just pops up on the device. Its not the best but its certainly manageable. .

so... the iphone has no notification bar on top? what if you miss those popups? what if you have more than one notification?

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
If I have an SMS that I haven't read, I see it at the top of my screen. Same goes for a missed call or email. Lockinfo allows that. It's a superb JB app.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I came from the DX, and don't miss the larger screen at all. I actually didn't love the larger screen. I thought 4.3 was a little too big. I think 4 would be perfect. I there are things that I love about the droid that the iPhone doesn't do, but overall I am much more happy with the iPhone. Someone on the first page said something that I agree with 100%, and that is the droids have too much customization I was constantly changing things around cut really took up too much time. I did jailbreak, but only for a few things. Themes are not one of them. I had my fill with bb and droid. Lol. One thing miss most about my droid is the t9 input. It was so much easier. Also custom dictionary. WTF let me add my own words.

About the theming: OMG yes. I themed my BlackBerry to DEATH, and I was never happy. I NEED to keep my iPhone simple LOL! And in regards to the dictionary: the iPhone adds words it doesn't have as you use them.

GolpherZX

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I too echo the thoughts. I came over from sprint with the hero and evo. I love the battery, the interface, the notification only when I am using the phone and not at all times drawing me to use the phone. Heck, how about orientation lock so I can type sideways?

I have stayed un jailbroke and am very happy still. Some day Iay try to jailbreak but for now I am not regretting the decision.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
android... it's all about rooting and roming, but with the iPhone 4, i just didn't think it was worth it to jailbreak. i do miss biteSMS and LockInfo, but not as much as I do not miss the lag or the bugs when jailbroken.

i have an atrix and i do like the 4' screen... it's actually the perfect size. the 4'3 screens on evo, inspire and others are too big IMO for a phone. but the crispness and the brightness of the iPhone haven't been matched by my atrix.

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I use my D2 mostly for surfing "reading". It hurts my eyes after an hour or so and I need a larger screen. I was playing with a DX in the store recently and found that a forum like this is smaller on the screen than on the D2. On iPhone or D2 I can tap the screen and the text I want read is fitted to the screen. On the DX there was a lot of pinching and trying to fit the text where I wanted it.

So I hope the rumor about a future iPhone with a 4" screen will come to be a reality.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I use my D2 mostly for surfing "reading". It hurts my eyes after an hour or so and I need a larger screen. I was playing with a DX in the store recently and found that a forum like this is smaller on the screen than on the D2. On iPhone or D2 I can tap the screen and the text I want read is fitted to the screen. On the DX there was a lot of pinching and trying to fit the text where I wanted it.

So I hope the rumor about a future iPhone with a 4" screen will come to be a reality.

You can change the size of the text on a website in the settng on the droid X. Dont remember how since I don't have one infront of me, but it's not too difficult.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711