Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

32 Posts

Default iPhone 4 White Conversion...Using Duct Tape To Prevent Light Leakage

I recently just order parts for a white conversion and I keep reading about people using duct tape, or electrical tape, to prevent light leakage.

I was wondering if anyone could please expand on where I should place the tape.

I attached a few photos if it would make things easier.

Thanks in advance.

OEM Parts - White iPhone 4 Conversion Kit - www.ConvertiPhone4Now.com

White Back Inside with EMI Antenna - White iPhone 4 Conversion Kit - www.ConvertiPhone4Now.com

White Inside Camera Lens and Flash Diffuser - White iPhone 4 Conversion Kit - www.ConvertiPhone4Now.com
    iPhone Newbie

37 Posts

My guess would be to carefully apply the duct tape inside the back plate so that it "nestles" the camera and blocks light...

I wouldn't recommend it, however, It will void your warranty, and plus duct tape becomes gooey and gummy over time. May not be the best idea.
    iMore Genius

3,682 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,789 Global Posts

Keep in mind that the light leakage only affects fake parts, not genuine Apple parts. Engadget wrote a good article on this a few weeks back. They got a genuine white front and back and the light leakage didn't occur. When they went and bought those "OEM" parts from online, they noticed it wasn't the same quality as the rejected Apple parts. Basically, the OEM parts from online stores are not really genuine.
    iMore Intermediate

443 Posts
    Global Posts
    449 Global Posts

There is a guy here in San Antonio that is going to be doing my conversion. I have seen his work and there is no light leakage what-so-ever.