Battery drains too fast

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
hello everyone, just got my iPhone4 (At&t) three days ago. Loving it but hate the battery life.

One night I charged it to 100% before i went to sleep, put it on airplane mode and woke up the next morning and it was at 85%. How could it lose 15% in 7-8 hours of sleep?

Also, today I only used it to get 3 emails, And i checked twitter maybe 4 times, I went from 100% to 90% in like 45 minutes.

I have read on these forums that the batter will get better with time but I just want to know if anyone can confirm this.

Has the iphone4 had battery problems and also, will apple or at&t be able to find a problem if I bring it in to them? Thanks!

EDIT: also by the way I keep my brightness down to about 20-30 %

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
That does sound excessive at night especially if you were in airplane mode. Did you have Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on? I know at my house my Wi-Fi signal is not very strong. This drains my battery like crazy b/c it is constantly searching for a stronger signal. The battery does get better over time, especially if you charge to 100% and let it die completely before charging again. I always do this with every smartphone I get the first few charges. Personally I have had much better battery life with my 4 than any previous model.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
As have I but I didn't do the power cycle thing yet. I didn't thikn that was necessary with this type of battery

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
As have I but I didn't do the power cycle thing yet. I didn't thikn that was necessary with this type of battery

I've read that it isn't necessary, but I swear when my battery seems to start draining faster, reconditioning the battery helps. I try to do it for two cycles once a month. Again, I don't know it it's just me being crazy or if it really helps.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Consider doing a restore. And if you have wifi on, it kills the battery in standby mode. If I keep it off, I may lose 1 or 2 % of the battery over night.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Give it a few charge cycles before you try to exchange it. After the first few it should improve.

The iPhone turns wifi off when it is asleep to save the battery so you don't need to keep turning it on and off.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Give it a few charge cycles before you try to exchange it. After the first few it should improve.

The iPhone turns wifi off when it is asleep to save the battery so you don't need to keep turning it on and off.

No matter what you think, wifi on does drain the battery in standby mode. Even the genius bar will tell you that. It does it on mine and my wifes i4

ImStrapped

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
hello everyone, just got my iPhone4 (At&t) three days ago. Loving it but hate the battery life.

One night I charged it to 100% before i went to sleep, put it on airplane mode and woke up the next morning and it was at 85%. How could it lose 15% in 7-8 hours of sleep?

Also, today I only used it to get 3 emails, And i checked twitter maybe 4 times, I went from 100% to 90% in like 45 minutes.

I have read on these forums that the batter will get better with time but I just want to know if anyone can confirm this.

Has the iphone4 had battery problems and also, will apple or at&t be able to find a problem if I bring it in to them? Thanks!

EDIT: also by the way I keep my brightness down to about 20-30 %

Just make sure that Bluetooth and WiFi aren't on when it's in sleep mode.
Also, what you described doesn't sound like a drastic thing to worry about, as long as your battery isn't dropping like 50% during sleep, or in an hour.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Well one thing I've discovered about the iPhone is that Safari takes up a lot of resources. Safari may not seem like an obvious solution but closing all the tabs in Safari can significantly improve battery life. You don't have to quit Safari in the multitasking bar, just close all the tabs you don't need to be open.

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
wow thanks for all the great quick responses. Last night was much better, it only went down like 2 percent. I let the battery drain all the way down below 10% and then fully charged it. I actually streamed alot today and yet its only at 50% and thats in about 8 hours, prob a full 40 min of streaming lol.

Maybe it does get better with time.

Man I switch from BLACKBERRY. iPhone makes blackberry look like garbage in my opinion lol. the internet just zips along, and now we are getting iOS4.3 next week. So glad to own an iPhone. I do wish I could customize it more but I'm not running the risk of jailbreaking it like I did my TOUCH.