Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default iphone frozen whilst updating to OS4.2

I was wondering can anyone help me please?

I was updating my iphone 3GS from os4 to OS 4.2. Whilst itunes was preparing to install the OS4.2 update the USB cable accidentally disconnected from my iphone.

Now on my iPhone screen all I have is the iTunes icon and the USB cable icon with a white arrow pointing towards the iTunes logo. My laptop is not recognising my iPhone now to continue the update and when I reset my iPhone it just reverts back to the same screen as mentioned above

How do I fix this? Any help is greatly appreciated

iMore Newbie

22 Posts

hold down the power and home button until the phone turns off, and once it does release the power button and after 3 seconds release the home button. that should fix it for you. If that does not work try downloading tiny umbrella and connect the phone and it has an open to exit recovery mode. try using those options and let me know if they work for you
    iMore Genius

7,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,332 Global Posts

You can search for DFU mode and put the phone into DFU mode and try the recovery again. However it should have done it in Recovery mode too. If all else fails I would say take it to an Apple store and get them to upgrade it for you.
    iPhone Nanite

2 Posts

Default Re: iphone frozen whilst updating to OS4.2

Simply put it into recovery mode by holding both the power button and the home button at the same time. This will usually fix it.