I think my iPhone is toast - battery.

mountainhouse

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I was using it about an hour ago, and it had about 50% battery on it. Now it won't turn on. I plugged it into my iMac and after about 5 min it finally started to sync. Fortunately, I have a Verizon store nearby. Any idea what would cause a sudden battery drain? All that comes to my mind is a short of some kind.

mountainhouse

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Called Verizon. They suggested a hard reset. I did that. Guess I'll wait and see if it happens again.

Later: I charged to about 50% and then played games for about 30 min. Also no impact on % charged, so it seem okay. :confused:

Is it good to do hard resets on these periodically?

Last edited:

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
It should be really rare to require a hard reset. Games can cause HUGE amounts of battery drain rather quickly, but it all depends on the game and how well it is ( or is not ) written.

Some games I can play for 10 - 20 minutes and not see an impact on my battery much at all, some like to take as much as a % or 2 per minute played.

What isn't a bad idea is charging your phone to 100% and draining it down to 0 once a month.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I charge my phone to 100% then drain to 0% then charge to 100% once a month as suggested on various other threads. When I play games I notice a huge drain on my battery and also when I listen to Howard Stern

shimojunk

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I work as a sys admin and we have a bunch of users with iPhones. I'm not sure if this pertains to ViP4 but people who had the 3GS, about 3 or 4 people told me how their iPhones got extremely hot and the battery died within a couple of hours. Definitely not normal, but I believe it was a software issue, not a hardware issue because all of them did a wipe and reinstall and that fixed the problem.

This sound very similar...

mountainhouse

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been discharging to below 20% before charging a couple of times a week. I might have had time to cool down again after it discharged this morning, so I don't know for sure if it got hot or not. I think I will try to reset it every few weeks - can't hurt.

anon(19047)

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been discharging to below 20% before charging a couple of times a week. I might have had time to cool down again after it discharged this morning, so I don't know for sure if it got hot or not. I think I will try to reset it every few weeks - can't hurt.

Instead of dealing with Verizon, I would recommend dealing with Apple. I live near an apple store and I have heard they have a much better CS as long as you make an appointment at the Genius bar. I have noticed that my battery has been draining rather quickly recently. Much more so than when I first got it. I have it standby at work w/o push e-mail and no vibrate and it loses around 30% by doing little to nothing just by lunch time.

mountainhouse

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Instead of dealing with Verizon, I would recommend dealing with Apple.

Thanks! I called Apple on Saturday. MUCH more knowledgeable, and very thorough. He seemed quite concerned about my sudden drop in battery capacity. He had me restore everything from iTunes. Said if I still had issues, he would send me a new phone. Comparing my usage to others in the battery stats thread, I'm not nearly getting the use others are. I'm going to arrange a replacement.

Battery 59%, 3:49 useage, 1 day 16 hrs standby, Call time 3 minutes.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl