iPhone MagSafe connector

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone else wish the iPhone had a MagSafe connector instead of the 30pin dock (with the addition of data transfer of course). I understand those that would complain about backward compatibility but at some point things need to be updated. How many of you are sorry that you don't see serial or parallel port on their computers anymore? I like the simplicity of the plug and the fact that it is moisture resistant. Another plus is that it wouldn't be a lint trap like the current 30pin. I'm sure Apple or third party companies could make a Magsafe to 30pin adapter for those with legacy cables/equipment. BTW I still want WiFi sync but this would be a nice addition on top of that.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It might be a nice idea, but not sure how they'd implement it. The Magsafe connector for MacBooks/Pros/Airs only have 4 pins. The iPhone/iPad/iPod has a 30 pin connector. The Magsafe connector would be huge.

The Magsafe connector is Apple's charger plug for their laptops. The basic connection is magnetic, so that if the cord gets pulled, stepped on or whatever, it just falls away from the notebook with no damage to either the notebook computer or the plug. For the laptops, it's about 1/2 inch long and about 1/4 inch wide with 4 pins and the perimeter of the connector is magnetic. It matches up with a 4 pin connector on the laptop that has a metal surface surrounding the power port.

kikideath

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I love the magsafe adapter on the computer. It's a great idea and has definitely saved me money and heartache. But, the basic reason for the magsafe is to protect your computer if you trip over the cable. Since the iPhone cable is shorter, it wouldn't serve as much of a purpose. Moreso though, an iPhone weighs a lot less than a macbook so it would need to be a very week magnet to pop out before sending your iPhone crashing to the ground.

kikideath

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I didn't notice that as I looked at when the most recent reply was before posting my own. Well, since it was never answered before, why not now? :cool::p

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Since we've dragged up an old thread....the magsafe connector is the weakest link in the MacBook Air. If it goes, you're screwed. I know from experience. Fortunately, I am the queen of redundant systems, and 3 months ago, spent the $70 to buy a spare. (Yea, that's outrageous for a spare power cord!)

I would not want that on my iPhone.

kikideath

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Since we've dragged up an old thread....the magsafe connector is the weakest link in the MacBook Air. If it goes, you're screwed. I know from experience. Fortunately, I am the queen of redundant systems, and 3 months ago, spent the $70 to buy a spare. (Yea, that's outrageous for a spare power cord!)

I would not want that on my iPhone.

Are you talking about if the charging port goes or if the cord/adapter goes? The old cord/adapters (pre magsafe) cost the same and I think they attribute that to the brick. Though it goes without saying they're making a tidy profit off selling extra chargers...

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Is it somehow a less valid discussion topic?

Yes (thank you), and more so valid now. Consider this. If Apple establishes iCloud as the backup solution for the i Series then the only reason for the dock connector for future models will be for charging. The MagSafe will allow this AS-IS (with some voltage changes). The only hiccup would be the size of the connector components on the the iPhone/iPad side. I would love this as it is a simple system that is very break resistant. Now the only question is would they go with wireless charging? I hope not. It would make it hard to have a portable charging system or car equipped charging.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh