Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Can't delete text messages

For some reason today my phone decided to not allow me to delete text messages. I've had an iPhone since they came out. I know to delete messages you can swipe and hit delete or hit edit in the top and then delete.

Now every time I try to delete a text message it shows me the red delete icon but it shows up for about 1 second and disappears and won't allow me to delete anything.

I've rebooted the phone...didn't work
    I've restored the phone completely...still didn't work

After doing some research I read other people had this problem and they suggested turning off and on the wifi and 3G...oddly enough that worked, but it's not a good easy fix. I can only delete one persons text messages at a time then I have to go back in and turn off and on 3G and wifi every time I want to delete a strand of text messages.

Does anyone else have this problem or know of a permanent fix?
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  
    iMore Intermediate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Figured it out...my exchange account had the wrong password entered and in the background it kept trying to log me in. so i deleted the account just cuz i was frustrated and out of pure luck this fixed the deleting text message thing.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,069 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get it...aren't your texts tied to your phone number?
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right? I have no idea why that fixed the problem. I noticed that while all that was happening my battery life was cut to a third and my phone was running really hot too. But it's because the phone was working in the background. Also, I noticed that my "import sim contacts" button was blinking and that stopped when I deleted the account. Basically, check your accounts and make sure all your passwords are correct so your phone isn't working the background. And again I have no idea how this is tied to not being able to delete texts but it worked...and it set my phone back to normal battery life and everything.
    iPhone Nanite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep...had the same issue. Deleted the exchange account and now I can delete my text messages..Thanks for the post!
    formoso likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shake your iPhone and it will ask you whether to delete your tapped message
    iMore Nanite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Can't delete text messages

what happen after you deleted account did everything else like media and contact and messages deleted also??