Apps Closing Themselves

UKFan643

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
So I'm wondering if any of you are having the same problem or if there is a known solution. I'm having a problem where I have apps that will just close themselves right in the middle of what I'm doing. For instance, I was playing a game of NBA Jam earlier and in the middle of the game, it just shut down. It's done that a few times now. Or I will be trying to enter something in my calendar and it will just close. I've even had a problem where I will go to open an App, it will look like it's opening, and then it just never does. Or it opens for a second and then closes. Is this widespread? Thanks!

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes turning the phone off and then back on solves this. Been my experience with apps that look like they are opening or open and shut down that I have wrong version of app.

UKFan643

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. What do you mean the wrong version of the app? Shouldn't I always have the most current if I keep them updated through the app store?

ImStrapped

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Have the same thing. As soon as I open an app, it'll close. Doesn't happen all the time so I can live with it but sucks to open 'em twice sometimes. If there are any solutions, plz share.

wcarlson40#IM

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming this happens because the app crashes. Windows would give you an error message. Apple tries to 'hide' their OS's imperfections by just hiding an app when it crashes...

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I guess I don't see the need to have a window pop up and say "hey your app crashed". I think that's fairly obvious when the app closes for no reason. Just seems like unneeded clutter to me. I would be more inclined to say the imperfection is with windows for giving so many unnecessary prompts.

Last edited:

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. What do you mean the wrong version of the app? Shouldn't I always have the most current if I keep them updated through the app store?

It has been my experience that when the system gets updates, some of the apps I had working before the update do this "close themselves" right after startup. Then later on I will get an notification from the app store that there is an update to the app. Once downloaded the app works fine.

I think the developers sometimes have to tweak their apps to work with the new Apple updates.

That is not always the case though. I have a radio app that will work one day, then the next time I use it, it goes through this phenomena and that is when I shut the phone off and on and the app will work.