About how long will a person get out of an iPhone before needing to upgrade?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to figure out if getting my husband and his mom an iPhone are a good idea. They tend to hang on to phones FOR EVER. I am not keen on getting them each an iPhone4 if they're going to be forced to upgrade to the newest one in a couple of years because the latest software no longer works on their phone.

Does anyone still use an iPhone 3 or even older? Or is there no way that still works?

mikesa_tx

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I use and Iphone 3G and it still works fine. I am though in the process of getting an I4 here in a few months.

Depending on who your provider is, ATT has the 3GS for 49.99. That is a good deal.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
the iphone 3g does not utilize all of the features of ios4 so id say you will get about 2 years of usage so a length of a contract.

to be honest people who hang on to phones forever and dont really use the features might be best to stay with a regular phone and ipod touch combo. the iphone 4 will handle pretty much any updates for next year and a half since its 6 months old already

there are people still using the original iphone but they cant use the latest updates and some apps wont work

Last edited:

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok, that's what I was hoping. I just want to make sure that I won't HAVE to upgrade them right at 2 years if they aren't needing one.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
yea apple tries to support its users as long as possible i mean if they really start using the device for all it can do they will want to upgrade every 2 years at least i know personally i buy the new one at launch every year.

plus there are rumors of there being a lower end one emerging for people who want to spend less. personally if you want the maximum life out of it wait until the new ones realease this summer if your on at&t idk if vzw will get the iphone 5 at same time and that way they will have the latest hardware not that the iphone 4 isnt capable just for those who want maximum longevity best to buy the newest hardware.

mcdan333#AC

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
the iphone 3g does not utilize all of the features of ios4 so id say you will get about 2 years of usage so a length of a contract.

I still use a 3G, going on 2.5 years now. You're right, I don't get all the features of ios4, but I don't care. It's still light years ahead of the phone I was using 5 years ago. I may get the new iPhone 5 this summer, or maybe not.

If you're really concerned with using every possible new iOS feature as soon as it becomes available, you need to upgrade your hardware every year. If you bought a 3GS when it first came out, then a year later there was the front-facing camera and retina display. If you bought a 4 last summer, then this summer there will be some new iOS feature (RFID?) that you can't use.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
RFID isn't really something I am super worried about. What I am excited for is a possibly better camera. But if I am a few months behind, that's fine. I am not usually an immediately early adopter. I usually wait a couple months so I can see if the bugs will annoy me. I already know about the antenna thing.

For ME, I will almost certainly get an iPhone 5 if the form factor isn't obnoxious (as in a slider or much bigger). I am the phone whore. Those two don't care. I want something REALLY EASY for my mother in law though. lol If my coworkers can use this thing then she absolutely can.

We will be joining ATT after over 12 years with Sprint. I got a big F.U. from Sprint this week and that was the straw. I get a discount at ATT for work, so that's about the only option besides staying with Sprint.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
if apple does a slider it will only be as an option they are very pro touchscreen and rightly so they have the best touchscreen around. i dont know if apple will go bigger to a 4" screen or not its possible but there will almost certainly be a 3.5" model but we will see. i would personally love a 4" model.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I would only like a 4" if the phone itself doesn't get much bigger. I don't like monster phones.

The biggest thing I want is a better than 5mp camera.